Page 4 of 56 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    I will try all tonight..

Thanks to all!!

Dave

ok, I did turn on the spot sounding feature and that brought back my numeric readings.. However, the 898 with the new update would require me to reset the factory defaults from time to time to allow the charts to actually show.. Not sure if this is a factor of the new update issues or not but I will give it a full ring-out Friday while on the water..

Dave

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmnav12 View Post
    PC App has a conversion tool. It'll work just fine. I use it all the time, just pick the correct plotter type.

2old2care; 1/10 of a mile? the only thing it could be is old loran numbers that were converted to lat/long or the fact that you can only zoom in so far on the ipad chart vs plotter. I havent heard of this at all. Used mine this weekend and all worked fine. the waypoints you are adding you are directly adding into the lat long seacrch feature and saving correct?
    I may doing this all wrong due to the fact I'm a dinosaur. On my iPad when I punch in these coordinates it puts me on land 1/10 of a mile away. Try this 36 53 23.2 x 88 08 06.7 and see where it takes you. Should be a submerged culvert. Comes up correct on my bird and on my Atlantic mapping map but consistently off on iPad.

I got no location indication other than the middle of a cove on Kentucky Lake with no contours or symbols in real shallow water.
    That is with an updated Navionics Platinum East card.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Thanks Wayne, seems to be difference in Atlantic mapping coordinates.

6. Humminbird helper
    Do you know which map datum the Atlantic map is using?
    Greg Walters at Humminbird
    gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
    I help because I can

7. Member
    Has anybody identified some of the new sonar charts updates on their HB unit?

Quote Originally Posted by fsae99 View Post
    Has anybody identified some of the new sonar charts updates on their HB unit?
    I don't think that program has been activated yet. I have a lot of recordings to upload to get some HD data added.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    I don't think that program has been activated yet. I have a lot of recordings to upload to get some HD data added.
    There was a little bit of it released in the 632P+ (S FL) area, but continues to be improved in final stages of testing prior to release here in the US.
    Keep recording. And uploading (if you are enrolled with a beta test permission). If not, just keep those recordings handy. It'll go live this spring, and you'll want to submit all you've got!

Quote Originally Posted by marmsd1 View Post
    There was a little bit of it released in the 632P+ (S FL) area, but continues to be improved in final stages of testing prior to release here in the US.
    Keep recording. And uploading (if you are enrolled with a beta test permission). If not, just keep those recordings handy. It'll go live this spring, and you'll want to submit all you've got!
    Thanks, I wasn't quick enough to get in on the beta testing.
    I have seen a preview of one lake that was partially recorded by someone I know and the part of the lake that wasn't recorded was assigned HD lines and those are rediculously in error. Contours in the 20' depth range where an actual island is. I recorded that area yesterday--my trolling motor was bumping the bottom near that island in that 20' of water contour.
    I sent an email about that area to the Navionics site this morning with GPS coordinates to compare to Google Earth.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    Wayne,
    Please send me the information you mention. Nothing has been released yet on lakes to see any such detail. additionally how you describe it sounds very odd. the only way that could be is a lake that is a brand new lake but again, we havent released any sonarchart data as of today so curious to what you have seen. shoot me a message with those cords also please. like to see what youre looking at.

12. Member
    Dave: yes, have to turn on spot soundings. Humminbird changed some software. it'll fix the issue.

Stymie: yes SonarCharts defintiely the best and fastest way to get new data on any lake. stand by for details. just finishing some final touches. meanwhile, if it was on 2004, can you give me some lat/longs and I'll long into it. if it was a 2008 chip, I know your answer but 2004... need to look into for you.
    Sorry Paul, been away for a while. Here are some coordinates
    Bulah Bay : 34 40N 87 02W

Not sure what these areas looked like in'04 but they need to be surveyed
    Limestone Creek: 34 36 20N 86 53 02W
    Spring Creek: 34 42 05N 87 16 28W

Look forward to your answer.

13. Member
    okay stymie. give me a bit. getting caught up from classic.

14. Member
    Paul, I have Plat+ 630 Eastern GOM and SC N FL 642 do I enable the bathymetric layer on the HB 998 to see sonar charts?

15. Member
    I didn't see this thread.... Help??

http://www.bbcboards.net/humminbird-...ster-maps.html

16. Member
    OK. I've been patiently waiting now for a week. Paul, are you out there?

17. Member
    Sorry Stymie.... been a really crazy week. been home 4 days out of 6 weeks. got a bit buried from HQ. I promise i will look into by Monday. at another show so should get some time today. need a secretary. correction, need a hot secretary.

18. Member
    fsae: on the Humminbird you need to select chart. click it to the chart slot the card is in and select "right side fish n chip". that will be the sonar charts. right now it isnt fully active yet. just touching up a couple last things. you may see some changes already now but isnt 100% dynamic yet. for saltwater you will see some big changes just in going there from nautical chart layer.

offshore, I saw the thread. not sure what your asking but my guess is you want the Platinum chart providing plotter compatability. The marine and lakes is a great local chart but for what you are asking, go platinum. the sat overlays will help some inshore and the advanced bathy on fish n chip/sonarcharts for inshore bathy and offshore bathy will help you immensely!

19. Member
    Sorry Stymie.... been a really crazy week. been home 4 days out of 6 weeks. got a bit buried from HQ. I promise i will look into by Monday. at another show so should get some time today. need a secretary. correction, need a hot secretary.
    I understand crazy weeks, in fact, I think it is written into my job description.

By the way, they are called administrative assistants now. I think they will put you in jail if you say the s-word nowadays. Regardless, there are pros and cons with the hot ones.

20. Member
    LOL @ Stymie. Is that kind of like calling Flight attendants an air waitress? So as promised I did take a look at those areas. You are correct. On thos eparticualr areas we do not have detail. This means one of two reasons. One is that we just didnt get a survey boat into those areas for some reason. low water, trees, time, ramp, not sure. Secondary reason could be that we had bought that detail to supliment what we did do on survey and for whatever reason missed that spot or had bad soundings. In which case recently we dropped off some contracts that we found "not as good" as what we expect and that could have been an area like that. The answer will be the new SonarCharts on Humminbird where once someone does a quick recording on those areas, it will generate a map for that area. Obviously as the community of boaters does additonal SonarCharts it will get more and more exact.

Page 4 of 56 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast