Page 1 of 90 1231151 ... LastLast

Navionics charting questions - need help with charting?

This thread is dedicated to any questions relating to Navionics charts, use, mobile app, new products, etc. Please feel free to post so others can learn as well.

2. Member
    I have a HDS 7 where can i find out about compatibility for Platinum+?

How many lakes does Navionics have versus competition? HD and standard?

How often does the map updates come out. I know you guys are always out mapping new lakes and improving the maps on existing lakes, but how often are the updates transferred out in updates?

5. Member
    wow, that was quick. lots of questions:
    Jnoel: HDS7 is compatable with Platinum + and also Hot Maps Platinum. if you visit www.navionics.com you can click on the "water" tab, click on plotter charts, click on marine for saltwater and lakes for freshwater. at the bottom you will see a quick link called compatability.

6. Member
    moreeyes: going to make me did out my calculator huh? :)
    I'll give you a grand total here but if there is a specific state you are looking for I'd be happy to make it much more specific. you can also visit the website and look at our chart viewer online to see what your local areas look like. it will not show any color shading for trees, road beds, etc... that is only a plotter function but get an idea of detail. it also doesnt show our brand new SonarCharts yet. We will post shortly on here about that.
    as a total number:

Navionics has over 20,000 lakes in the USA (around 18,000 in USA only)and Canada and over 3000 in one foot contours. Insight is apprx 4200 total lakes and 600 in one foot. Lakemaster for what states are available is 3800 total and 1000 in one foot. that is my last comparsion and apologize to those companies if I'm off a bit.

7. Member
    Daddy: we do daily updates to the charts. Approximately 10,000 changes a week. this is a total number so I can't give you a complete breakdown by area. These are daily updates though. This could include new Community edits, updated one foot contours, underwater structures or new lakes we release as we get them. This again doesnt include SonarCharting.

to get it, when you buy your chip (or if you already have one) register it online with our website within 60 days. go on anytime after that whenever you want, plug in your chip, and get the free update through our webstore. this is a brief video to help you.

if you have any issues please let me know. just make sure your chart is new or within the last two years. if it is within the last two years and past the 60 days you can renew it for $99 rather than buy a brand new chart at full price. save some money

8. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    How can you tell what year the card is??
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

9. Member
    Wish there was an easy answer on that one. There's no way to tell the exact age of a chart. If you are checking to see if freshest data eligible, then plug it into our website and register on the webstore. It'll tell you if it can be updated or not. If its within two years, it can be at most likely $99. If it isn't it will say not eligible which means past two years.

The only other way is the model number. So let says you have hot maps E4, than that means 2008 I believe

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Ok, i tried it and said it was not eligible for the freshest data...

11. Banned
    I have three questions about the new SonarChart program:

--will the method of uploading data and downloading chart updates be available to users of the MacOS?

--how will user-data about water depth be correlated to transducer position relative to waterline?

--how will user-data about water depth be correlated to lake water level reference to chart datum?

12. Member
    Hi Jim:
    Damn good questions, wow.
    1. Mac currently works with PC app (well most Mac) and all works with Freshest data. When you go to upload/Download it's all done through our web loader program so doesn't matter as far as your system as it burns onto the chip

2. The keel offset is set to the most high percentage average of 1.5'. When anyone goes to do the upload if your keel offset is different than that, you can adjust it at that time to the correct number. Additionally as we get the uploads the Sonarchart program can recognize the consistencies or inconsistencies in uploading do it knows if 10 boats ran the lake at 1.5 and this 11th boat shows depth off by an additional 2' then it knows to adjust by 2' as that keel is 3.5'

3. The SonarCharts ate on a secondary layer of the chart. On the plotter you must select the "fish n chip" mode to see this layer. Sonarcharting will not overwrite the main chart layer. We don't want what we have completed to have a few odds and ends on it mixed in. You will see the regular chart data and then when select tonSonarCharts that secondary layer of the latest.

13. Member
    Fishin, that means the chart is past two years old and doesn't have the software to upgrade it to freshest data. Shoot me a pm for some other direction I can help with. I'll explain then

Card dates:
    E= East

The 2005 issue just has the E with no date code and the card capacity is 256 MB
    E2 is a 2006
    E3 is a 2007
    E4 is a 2008
    E5 is a 2009
    E6 is a 2010

Newer cards have no date code since they are updateable and they are microSD inside a SD adaptor instead of just a SD card.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

15. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pmnav12 View Post
    Fishin, that means the chart is past two years old and doesn't have the software to upgrade it to freshest data. Shoot me a pm for some other direction I can help with. I'll explain then
    Ok, that's cool......

16. Banned
    pmnav12--Thanks for the reply to my three questions. I did not make question number three very clear. Let me explain futher:

The water level on many lakes can vary during the year and from year to year. For example, on Lake Huron we can typically see a one-foot to two-foot change during the Summer. From year-to-year this change can be even greater. What mechanism will Navionics use in the collection of water depth data from users to correlate the data to the actual water level that was present on that body of water when the data was gathered?

17. Member
    My Gold card is two years old and i fish in Barnegat Bay. What changes are there that i need to update my chip? The buoys never move, but the sand bars do. Will you show those changes?

The update features are awesome, I have done mine a couple times this year. They improve cartography find structure that wasnt previously not mapped.

19. Member
    PMNAV12 I have a few comments/questions regarding the charting features of the Platinum card I purchased last week. I have a new HDS-7, Gen2 on the bow of my boat; I have an (2008) LCX-28c on the console. The Insight mapping installed on the HDS-7 left a lot to be desired, displaying few accurate underwater features (points, humps, etc.) and completely inaccurate depth ranges. I purchased the Navionics card thinking I'd receive current, accurate cartography and underwater contour features (Table Rock Lake). While the Navionics data presented is significantly better than the installed Insight Mapping it's not nearly as accurate as the underwater accuracy of my four-year-old 28c. The Navionics card shows features that are non-existent (sub-points, etc.) and fails to show depth ranges in creeks and coves; I'd be glad to provide you the coordinates of the non-existent features I've found so far.

I'm not knocking the Platinum card (or Navionics cartography in general) because it does meet minimal expectations but I am disappointed that paper maps available are far more accurate. Too, cartography on other lakes may be better, particularly your HD lakes, as I've only used your card on Table Rock so far. So, a few questions:

Is there any plan to revise Table Rock's cartography? Will Table Rock become an HD lake in the near future? Why do coves and creeks become large, blue featureless expanses when the depth varies five or more feet?

Thanks for your time and comments.
    Chip Reaves

U.S. Army, Retired
    BassCat Cougar FTD, 250 ProXS
    Wagner Flats Boat, 150 Yamaha
    Key Largo Bay Boat, 150 Yamaha
    Silverton Sportfish, T/3196 Cats

20. Member
    Jim: Thats all part of the tool. if the water fluctuates we will have the mapping based on that partiuclar time of recording. so lets say it dropped 5 feet from the last time you used the map. Option 1: Use the shading feature and depending on whtehr you have Lowramce, Humminbird or Raymarine, you have certain foot levels you can shade down and then have it set to 5 feet below. Option 2: if more people are using SonarCharts on the lake and in the area and taking an active part in it daily... You will have the new water level mapped. the Sonarcharts are as good as the most recent SonarChart update you have doen through freshest data and what users recorded last. so yes, technically you can see the lake rise and lower that 5' interval.

Page 1 of 90 1231151 ... LastLast