Page 20 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast
    Going to order the update card online. Thanks Hammer!

Does anyone know if or when Navionics will be supporting Lake Level Offset to adjust Hotmaps Premium contour lines for winter draw down lakes? Also, how about depth range shading (color coding) to target a pattern or zone depths on the lake your fishing? Those have long been attributes exclusive to LakeMaster and now Garmin's Ultra HD Maps have it to. These are significant features missing from Navionics. I value that way more then Sonar Charting.

From Lowrance website read page 2 of the document:

http://www.lowrance.com/Global/Lowra...0465-002_w.pdf

4. Member
    I know the mobile app has both lake level offset and depth range shading. Last year the Hds units had an update that allowed depth shading, shallow water shading, map sharing between units and a few other useful advanced level settings that wallyandre posted but I don't recall off the top of my head if lake level offset was one of them. That would be especially useful for reservoirs where you can see fluctuations of 15' or more.

I don't have access to my Touch so over my head I can't remember. If not it could be a good suggestion to propose to Lowrance

Lake Level Offset is a major advancement in electronic mapping

I hope Navionics addresses this. I do fish winter draw down lakes and that would be a major plus. Mapping today is extremely critical to planning as well as navigating on reservoir waters.

Also, depth range shading is a great tool for targeting a zone on the water too.

Oh, I attempted to update my Navionics Platinum card last night. Originally it worked when I first got it. Last night I got an error, paraphrasing it couldn't be updated and Navionics will be contacting me. What do I do about that? I have a Mac Book and use Safari web browser.

Quote Originally Posted by deepanchor View Post
    I hope Navionics addresses this. I do fish winter draw down lakes and that would be a major plus. Mapping today is extremely critical to planning as well as navigating on reservoir waters.

Also, depth range shading is a great tool for targeting a zone on the water too.

Oh, I attempted to update my Navionics Platinum card last night. Originally it worked when I first got it. Last night I got an error, paraphrasing it couldn't be updated and Navionics will be contacting me. What do I do about that? I have a Mac Book and use Safari web browser.
    This is not a Navionics problem; I think it is more related to Lowrance software

Quote Originally Posted by wallyandre View Post
    This is not a Navionics problem; I think it is more related to Lowrance software
    Respectfully, I'm not sure I agree that it's a Lowarance hardware limitation. Navionics mapping supports Raymarine, Humminbird and Lowarance. I'm sure there are others too. What does Lowrance hardware have to do with Navionics software mapping features? I know you won't see these Navionic mapping features for Humminibird hardware which already supports LakeMaster depth shading and lake level offset. Trust me if Lowrance did offer these mapping features it would be the end of LakeMaster IMO and Lowrance software update would be on a fast track to support these features. Arguably, this can become a chicken or egg debate but at the end of the day if Navionics has it for iPhone or iPads lets hope it's not far behind for Low, HB or Ray hardware.

I'm not a expert but I think the level offset can be accomplish with Hb and Navionics and not only with Lakemaster but I can be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by wallyandre View Post
    I'm not a expert but I think the level offset can be accomplish with Hb and Navionics and not only with Lakemaster but I can be wrong
    That's critical news if that is true. I've not read of that navionic's development. Will have to jump over on humminbird side for follow up. If it's true it's significant competitive edge.

Just want to say I much appreciate reading your comments. Many benefit from it.

Thanks!

Like I said: I'm not sure about HB & Navionics

Doing my best
    Thanks

12. Member
    The one big problem I have with lowrance is they do not allow you to submit your sonar logs to navionics to update their maps. So if you want your fishing areas included in an update you have to rely on someone with a bird to send in sonar logs to navionics of your fishing spots. If you want to take full advantage of sonar charts lowrance is forcing you to send your sonar logs to their insight and then charge you to buy their maps. There is a few posts on this subject on various forums. Humminbird allows your sonar logs to be sent to Navionics even though they are affiliated with Lakemaster, why doesn't lowrance? I'm not trying to turn this into a lowrance bashing thread but just stating the limitations and options.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer74 View Post
    The one big problem I have with lowrance is they do not allow you to submit your sonar logs to navionics to update their maps. So if you want your fishing areas included in an update you have to rely on someone with a bird to send in sonar logs to navionics of your fishing spots. If you want to take full advantage of sonar charts lowrance is forcing you to send your sonar logs to their insight and then charge you to buy their maps. There is a few posts on this subject on various forums. Humminbird allows your sonar logs to be sent to Navionics even though they are affiliated with Lakemaster, why doesn't lowrance? I'm not trying to turn this into a lowrance bashing thread but just stating the limitations and options.
    The Sonar Charts is not available for Lowrance units yet. They just recently added Garmin data processing.
    It has nothing to do with "The one big problem I have with lowrance is they do not allow you to submit your sonar logs to navionics".
    It is a Navionics program, they are not set up to handle Lowrance data yet.

Humminibird, Lowrance, and Garmin have different data files.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

14. Member
    As of 2013 from a navionics rep from another forum.
    Paul with Navionics. Sorry didn't see your post but this one was forwarded to me. Ill try to explain this as carefully as I can.

Navico feels that your sonar is their proprietary property. The sonar data you collect is their property and that they own it. Therefore, they do not want to allow us to use that data. Humminbird feels you bought the plotter, you own it, you elect to share it (sorry JO if I'm paraphrasing for you). Navico wants a special agreement signed over the sonar they own before they will allow us to use their sonar that you collect. I'm not sure what I can disclose about that so going to not elaborate.

I will say that in my opinion.... Navico would rather have your $300 for Genesis. As you mentioned, with significant shoreline, how much money are you going to spend in fuel to get a giant lake done? Then it's only YOUR data. So if 50 people fish that lake they all need to do it. 50x $300= $15,000. Plus it only surveys what is just below your boat so tight grid patterns are needed. It also doesn't work in tidal situations. You also sign an agreement that the sonar you upload is now owned by Navico (I thought they already owned it?). Therefore, by rights, Navico could take your recordings and make it into a map and sell it to others.

Sonarcharts: is free for the year when purchasing a Navionics chart. After a year you have to renew freshest data for $99. All sonar logs among all potential OEms are shared and made into a chart. This chart is shared for free so in the example above, all 50 boats could now have access to it for free. A lot less time, money spent, and info is shared. Btw Garmin users can also submit tracks. A figure eight track line is enough for us to create data. Yes a tighter grid might find smaller hidden ledge but most data will come from just "boating" and "fishing". SonarCharts also works in saltwater and tidal situations. Sonarcharts is renewed very day by potentially 1000s of boats. 1000 boats vs 1 boat. That's a lot of data.
    So if you were in a bass club with a private lake... 50 members. Do you spend $15,000 or buy one plotter that does do SonarCharts and share it? Or a couple?

I'm sure Ill get called out by Navico on this but I'm answering your question. Nothing I'm saying is untrue, fictitious, or marketing ploy. Fact to fact. As a Lowrance user, all Navico has to do for you is give us the okay.

15. Member
    I hope they have gotten past the legality side of it and it is in fact a matter of handling Lowrance data format.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer74 View Post
    I hope they have gotten past the legality side of it and it is in fact a matter of handling Lowrance data format.
    Garmin has their own mapping products and no Garmin units are shown on the Navionics web site as being compatable, evidently that has changed since Garmin owners can participate in the Sonar Charts program.
    There is hope for Lowrance since Lowrnace units can read Navionics software.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deepanchor View Post
    Does anyone know if or when Navionics will be supporting Lake Level Offset to adjust Hotmaps Premium contour lines for winter draw down lakes? Also, how about depth range shading (color coding) to target a pattern or zone depths on the lake your fishing? Those have long been attributes exclusive to LakeMaster and now Garmin's Ultra HD Maps have it to. These are significant features missing from Navionics. I value that way more then Sonar Charting.
    Hang on here a minute....Lowrance and Navionics DO offer all of this NOW. You must have a fully updated Navionics 14 card. Please look at the thread a couple weeks ago about Navionics and shading. I gave full details and setup and had numerous guys PM me and I got them set up. The results were incredible according to them. THE main problem is those who have older Navionics cards and they will not display what I am describing, and then Lowrance or Navionics is blamed...That is incorrect.
    We sent pics up with that thread to show the incredible detail, depth range selection, shading, etc.
    I spent the last couple of weekends at Bass Pro Shop spring event showing how to set these up...right next to the lakemaster charts being demo'd. Our system makes those look primitive at best. I can set the water offset and it shows where the newly adjusted shoreline and shallow water are. I set up the charts to show me KY Lake ledges ONLY...from 18-30'. Those will POP out and stand out like neon. I can diminish the rest of the screen so mainly ONLY that selected range shows up if I so choose. The selectivity and variable paramaters of these new maps is incredible to say the least. I asked one of the guys doing the Lakemaster/HB demo (after he saw my setup) if they could do this....His answer was no. Lowrance and Navionics 2014 do everything suggested and much more.
    Tommy
    Prostaff Lowrance/Navico
    Prostaff Navionics

Quote Originally Posted by prostaff1 View Post
    Hang on here a minute....Lowrance and Navionics DO offer all of this NOW. You must have a fully updated Navionics 14 card. Please look at the thread a couple weeks ago about Navionics and shading. I gave full details and setup and had numerous guys PM me and I got them set up. The results were incredible according to them. THE main problem is those who have older Navionics cards and they will not display what I am describing, and then Lowrance or Navionics is blamed...That is incorrect.
    We sent pics up with that thread to show the incredible detail, depth range selection, shading, etc.
    I spent the last couple of weekends at Bass Pro Shop spring event showing how to set these up...right next to the lakemaster charts being demo'd. Our system makes those look primitive at best. I can set the water offset and it shows where the newly adjusted shoreline and shallow water are. I set up the charts to show me KY Lake ledges ONLY...from 18-30'. Those will POP out and stand out like neon. I can diminish the rest of the screen so mainly ONLY that selected range shows up if I so choose. The selectivity and variable paramaters of these new maps is incredible to say the least. I asked one of the guys doing the Lakemaster/HB demo (after he saw my setup) if they could do this....His answer was no. Lowrance and Navionics 2014 do everything suggested and much more.
    Tommy
    Prostaff Lowrance/Navico
    Prostaff Navionics
    I don't frequent these updates at your pace to be informed. Heck I asked the question earlier and the folks that replied was not sure either. Moving forward if what you are saying is true for HDS hardware this is exciting and encouraging. To be clear you are saying Depth Range Shading and Lake Level Offset features work and are supported on Latest updated Lowrance HDS hardware? If that is the case then I will update my Lowrance HDS Gen2 hardware.

I have (coming up on a one year old) Navionics Platinum Card and can't update my card. I tried updating via my Mac and it does not work. It says could not be updated at this time and Navionics will be contacting me. I have updated in the past when I first got the card. What is that all about? I don't frequent this forum enough to be in the loop. Thanks for your response and follow up.

20. Member
    Deepanchor - Depth Shading and Shallow Water Highlight as well as card sharing was all part of the Lowrance 2.0 update.

At this time, Water Level Adjust is available through the Navionics App but unfortunately is not yet available for cards used on Lowrance equipment. As a die hard Lowrance user, I wish I had better news to share.

As far as your Platinum card is concerned, it sounds to me like the card may or may not be expired? Either way, if you could please send me a PM with your email information I'd be more than happy to put you in contact with a customer service rep who can resolve this issue. If possible, screenshots would be helpful. Please include your login email as well.

When it comes to what features are available through certain programs and through different CHARTPLOTTER manufacturers. It's not always as cut and dry as it may seem it should be. All companies are separate identities and are trying to put out the best possible product for their business. This may include or not include certain features that we all want. Water Level Offset is indeed a feature that Navionics has and I'm sure wants to include on all their cards. It may or may not be in the best interest of other companies and my advice is with anything along this matter is to contact the company directly and show your support or non-support as a loyal customer. Cause in the end, all these companies goals are to put out the best product possible and to do that, their customers need to be taken into consideration. I just don't think it's ever as clear cut as we may feel it should be. It's all speculation unless a company makes a statement. According to the above quote from Paul, it appears the software is there but there is still business to be worked out between two companies that work hand in hand.

Page 20 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast