Sakakawea 11-7-12

Before you read too much, there are no pics in this report. Although if you ask nicely, Nate may be willing to post the pic of the big pike he caught.

Water temp was about 48 degrees and stupid windy when we got on the water at about 1 pm. But the fish were cooperating once we found them. They were surprisingly shallow too. After drop shotting deep water for a while, I fired a tube towards the bank in about 15 FOW and started getting bit immediately. We caught 3 out of that school in about 5 minutes before they shut off. Then we moved to a rock island that has a long shallow point with deep water next to it. The smallies were really tight to that break and would hit the tube each time I pulled it off the break but I also would end up getting hung in the rocks most of the time. To avoid this, I would use a drop shot and just look for fish with my graph. Each time I spotted an arch, I could drop down and catch it.

It was at this same spot that Nate caught 3 or 4 big pike. The biggest one was 10lbs 10oz on my scale. He was catching them on nearly every cast for a while. We fished until dark and ended up with those pike and maybe 10 smallies. Not bad for the last boat trip of the year.
    2007 Triton TR-21X w/ Pro XS 250
    6" T&H Hi Jacker w/ 2" spacers
    26P Tempest

2. Member
    I haven't been on that lake in prob 20 yrs... Sure would be fun to go back sometime though.
    Sounds like you had a good last trip! I just winterized my boat this week :(
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

Quote Originally Posted by GetReel View Post
    I haven't been on that lake in prob 20 yrs... Sure would be fun to go back sometime though.
    Sounds like you had a good last trip! I just winterized my boat this week :(
    Well if you ever feel like making the trip again, the lake is good for just about anything that you want to catch. Seems like it has a strong population of everything in the lake. Tons of smallmouths. Just small ones though. If you didn't want to bring your boat, you could always hit me up next year. I'd be happy to take you out.
    2007 Triton TR-21X w/ Pro XS 250
    6" T&H Hi Jacker w/ 2" spacers
    26P Tempest

Great trip, way to end the year. Someday I'll make it up there. I caught some pike last Friday here in the hills, and am going to try for one more trip this weekend since it's supposed to be nice.
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

5. Banned
    Ive worked up here for the past 6 yrs and wondered if there was a good population of smallmouths in Sak.

6. Member
    Yes there are.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by JamesfromID View Post
    Ive worked up here for the past 6 yrs and wondered if there was a good population of smallmouths in Sak.
    Finding and catching smallies there is very easy. Finding bigger fish are a whole other story.

8. Member
    In my opinion, lake Sakakawea on the Missouri River system is the best fishery I’ve ever fished. Geographically speaking, Newtown North Dakota may be the best place to live if you like to fish.

Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    In my opinion, lake Sakakawea on the Missouri River system is the best fishery I’ve ever fished. Geographically speaking, Newtown North Dakota may be the best place to live if you like to fish.
    I think it’s a great fishery. Particularly for walleye and monster pike. I think it’s just OK as a smallmouth fishery.

10. Member
    We
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVE81 View Post
    I think it’s a great fishery. Particularly for walleye and monster pike. I think it’s just OK as a smallmouth fishery.
    Totally agree, I was referring to overall all things considered, great system. I love it up there