Thread: '13 Ford Escape

'13 Ford Escape

I currently have a '04 Ford Escape with towing package. I also have a Triton TR186 bass boat that the '04 Escape tows well.

I live in Western Pa and have a place off of Chautauqua Lake. I tow the boat from my home in the spring up to Chautauqua and return it in early October every year (Steelhead season starts!). I tow the boat less than 8 miles to a ramp at Long Point every day. So this is about as easy of a tow as you can get in Western Pa/NY.

I make 15-18 round trips a year to Chautauqua and the roundtrip is ~450-500 miles each time not towing the boat. So I am looking for a high MPG vehicle as I need a tow vehicle once I get to Chautaqua.

I am looking at a new '13 SUV. Looking at the new Escape or Exployer. Don't need a truck.

The 2.0 Turbocharged V4 Escape has a towing capacity of 3,500 #'s. The V6 Exployer has a 5,000 # towing capacity.

Keeping in mind my towing need, am I on stupid considering a new '13 Escape?

Lots of bass tournaments on Chautauqua and I never see either an Escape or Exployer towing them. I simply don't want a low MPG truck. Comments welcomed.

2. Member
    How about a Toyota Tacoma crew cab, V6/auto? Mine gets almost 24mpg on the highway when not towing (2WD), and around 15 when pulling the rig ('98 TR20). Mileage around town averages 18-19. Mine is an '05 and hasn't given me the first lick of trouble.

3. Member
    Chevy traverse I got has 5500lb rating, good gas mileage, and perfect for hauling kids....

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsly67 View Post
    Chevy traverse I got has 5500lb rating, good gas mileage, and perfect for hauling kids....
    i have to agree on the Traverse. that would be my choice also.

5. Member
    How well does the 04 tow? Do you have trailer brakes?
    keep your lines wet! God bless

6. Member
    It towed my 2001 Triton TR186 well and yes my trailer had/has brakes. I purchased another Escape in 2013 and likewise it tows my 2014 Triton 18XS well. I am getting around 25 MPG. Nothing has changed since my original post. I tow my boat north to camp in the spring and bring it home in the fall. The balance is short tows to the ramp.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead