Thread: Need help guys!

Need help guys!

Was out riding my '03 Heritage Springer today and noticed a noise coming from my transmission when I was getting off the gas. It got progressively worse and I noticed that when I pulled in the clutch it would stop making the noise. I went to pull over and down shifted and it was like it was in neutral but making a pretty loud grinding noise. Once I got stopped it would click like it was going into gear but not go in and grind.

Had it towed to the shop but would like opinions on what this is. I've never experienced this before. The bike only has about 7500 miles and I don't rag on it.

Appreciate any feedback or thoughts!

What kind of noise?

Whirring noise that stops when the clutch is pulled in sounds like the inner primary bearing.
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day

Teach a man to fish, he will complain that you stole his fishing spot.

Yea....that explains the noise pretty well and it does stop when you pull the clutch in. I was pushing it when it was in gear and it would roll but make that noise.

What causes the inner primary bearing to go out, if that's what it is?

Shaft run out can cause premature failure. 7500 is low miles for a failure, but not unheard of.

Sometimes sh** just breaks.

If it is "only" the bearing, it's not that bad. If the shaft is scored or if there is secondary damage it can add up pretty quick. The fact that you caught it quick is good.

As always, it's hard to tell from just a description of what happened, the shop will pick it up fast if it is the IPB.
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day

Teach a man to fish, he will complain that you stole his fishing spot.