Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Another vote for Merino wool. Nothing else even compares to comfort and warmth.

2. Member
    As others have said, its hard to beat a one piece snowmobile suit for comfort and warmth. If its dry I wear a snowmobile suit, if its wet I wear AFTCO rain suit. Both warm, but snowmobile suit is more comfortable.

3. Member
    Merino wool. Smartwool, FirstLite, or any other company you can find. Some of it is expensive but it will last

4. Member
    Patagonia-best in class!
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

5. Member
    you pay for what you get.

6. Member
    Why is this spammer still a member?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by markhenry1 View Post
    I just wear customized swimwear shorts which keeps me cool and comfy, I bought it from https://vizapparel.com/swimwear
    I meant this spammer.

8. Member
    Go price Sitka base layers and then the UA will seem cheap.
    UA can piss up a rope as far as I'm concerned

9. Member
    If the outwear is good, Thermal underwear isn’t even needed. I’ve literally had only shorts & t-shirt under quality bibs & jacket before. When I tried thermal, it was just restrictive and uncomfortable.

10. Banned
    I agree, merino wool next to skin

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Junk Fisherman View Post
    Heavyweight Cabela's base layer tops and bottom does the job for me and you can always get it on sale at Cabela's for less than half the price of the Under Armor. Layer up and have wind-blocking outerwear and you are good to go. And I often fish in temps in the 30s with no problems.

BINGO!!!

I have the UA 4.0 and Merino 400 gram ... My personal opinion is that they are both good but the Merino wool is heavier/denser and it feels silky smooth, so I lean toward the Merino wool as being a bit better for cold weather.
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    2021 Mercury ProXS 250hp 4S

13. Fishing is a Passion
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

14. Member
    UA cold gear is tops IMO. I wear it and then just a pair of jeans, fishing shirt and my rain gear. It's more than worth it.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildkat7 View Post
    UA cold gear is tops IMO. I wear it and then just a pair of jeans, fishing shirt and my rain gear. It's more than worth it.
    I thought that too until I tried smartwool. I gave the UA stuff away. No comparison. The Merino is warmer, breathes better and is just more comfortable.

16. Member
    Polartec is great product as suggested the lever 2 waffle layer is my favorite it keeps warm in morning and it can breathe in afternoon

17. Member
    Flannel lined pants and a double layered sweat pants are plenty for here.26 degrees when I launched on Wednesday

Just retired last July hauled cars out of Chicago IL . Out in that weather all year long. Had to brake ice off the racks to load the cars before .
    Very easy to stay warm in winter. Snow mobile suit. I tore up one to two suits a year on the racks climbing , getting caught in the chains, or picked on the car hauler itself. Lot of folks try cold winter sports every year spend a lot of money for those suits. After they find out it ain't for them they stick them on e bay for 1/3 to 1/4 the price just trying to get something back out of them. Buy them wash them wear them.
    You can live comfortable with just a good set of thick sweat pants , t-shirt and a normal winter long sleeve shirt under that suit. Keep those feet warm head covered I've loaded cars in zero degree weather wind blowing 25 to 30 mph. Sweated under all that. Suits are wind and waterproof to start with. Cheap way to stay warm dry and fishing a suit should last you a life time.
    190TX Tracker 24' Striper offshore
    Southern living. Coastal North Carolina

19. Member
    I have had three sets of Under Armor in three different weights that are at least 15 years old. You get what you pay for.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ummelj1 View Post
    I cannot see paying $120 bucks for Under Armor or Red Head under garments. There has to be something cheaper that beats the old walmart long johns that shrink 3 sizes each time you wash them. Any suggestions?
    ScentLok base layers are awesome and are normally 50% off this time of year. https://www.scentlok.com/men/mens-hunting-base-layers
    '98 187 Elite, 175 EFI (Serial 0G750796)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123