Too Hot or Too Cold

I dont believe it ever gets too hot in Northern Wisconsin to ride, but it sure gets cold enough. I took a 60 mile ride yesterday in 50 degree weather and it was not comfortable. Years ago I would ride in 30 degree weather and not think anything of it, but yesterday I was cold even though I was dressed in full leathers and wearing long johns.
    Just curious when you folks pull the plug on your riding , whether it be too hot or too cold?

46 degrees is the coldest I like to ride in. Have ridden in colder but try not too. Triple digit humid heat is no fun when you are at a stop light.

I don't mind riding in the cold. I have rode when it was snowing out but not sticking. Leather is the ticket and layering. Hands are the hardest part to keep warm and I may go to heated grips. When it gets below 40 I usually put the bike away.

I don't like riding in extreme heat. Wears me out and feels like you're in a blast furnace. I do it all the time but would rather ride in colder weather than hot.

Here in SC, one can ride year round if they want. I have roden in 30 degree weather mainly in December, didn't really like it, but for a good cause. Toys for Tots Rides or Poker Runs for the kids. I do not ride much in Jan or Feb due to the cold, but when we have a warm spell I will be out riding. Same goes for the summer, I hate riding when it's humid & hot out. Glenn

5. Member
    My dad and I did the loop around lake Michigan a few years ago. I think it was like September 22nd. Anyway, an Ironbutt ride is 1000 miles in 24 hours.... We left at 4:30am i think. Got to Cadillac michigan and there was ice on the parked cars. I had jeans on and long johns. Managed to make it the rest of the way, albeit about froze, and did 1065 miles in about 17.5 hours. I think I had a mild case of hypothermia and was cold for about a week. It was brutal.

50 degrees is about my fun limit

I'm good year round unless there is ice or snow on the road.
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day

Teach a man to fish, he will complain that you stole his fishing spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie B View Post
    Just curious when you folks pull the plug on your riding , whether it be too hot or too cold?
    For the past two winters I have road to work most days it was at least 35*at 5am . It is a chore to get dressed to handle this temp. I ride to work all summer as long as it is 30% or less chance of rain. As far as going for a ride in the heat, I haven't reached a max temp but I would want to be in much stop and go traffic at 100* I have gotten into some near that on the way home and it is a biotch.
    Not sure if you have a wind screen/fairing or not, but that make HUGE difference in the colder temps.

9. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    If the highs of the day don't get above about 60 or 65 I'm done. I ride for enjoyment and I don't enjoy being cold.

10. Cajun Boats/MN Fishing Reports Moderator DJ from MN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toypuller View Post
    Same here. Been out in temps down to 0 but when the streets ice up I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by Toypuller View Post
    Same for me too.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by H2O_Fowl View Post
    If the highs of the day don't get above about 60 or 65 I'm done. I ride for enjoyment and I don't enjoy being cold.
    Do you not fish if the weather is a little cool? Do you hunt? Would you not hunt if the weather was cold? I ride for enjoyment also. I do not have to drive my MC to work in the cold. I do it because I would rather ride the bike and be a bit chilly than drive the warm car. I have been colder setting in a tree stand hunting deer than I have ever been on my MC. I have endured colder weather at work and did not ENJOY what I was doing. So dressing appropriatley and riding when it is at least cooler out I get a LOT more riding time in.

13. Member
    depends if it is around town, or hitting the highway... around town short trips cold is no issue, However if its 30 out and your running on I-4 that wind chill goes to the teens and that tooooooo damn cold.

NOW, I admit there is a HUGE difference depending on if you are riding with a winscreen/fairing or riding a necked bike. Helmet selection can also make a BIG difference. I do normally ride with a 1/2 helmet with a hidden pull down eye shield. Neck gators and stuff help also. My biggest problem is with my hands. I still have not found something that works for me, not that I have been through a lot of types of gloves.

Last year too cold was if I saw frost in the mornings (4am). Granted I'm only 20 miles from work. Bought a set of heated gloves a few weeks ago. Chaps, fullface, and the gloves, I'm hopeing to ride regardless of how cold it gets.