North Lake, ND report

This is the lake on the north side of Lake Audobon that is separated by an embankment. This one's kind of an unknown because I only know one person that has fished it and he's not even a bass fisherman. To be honest, I'm not even positive that's even the name of it. It's definitely a well kept secret but I suck at keeping secrets. Here's the best part... The average fish is right about 3 pounds and there's a bunch of them. I didn't keep track but I think I caught about 10 yesterday and they group up really well on this lake. Might just be because its the fall though.

First off, this is an idle speed only lake and for good reason... It is filled with submerged islands; most of which are less than 2 ft below the surface. My Insight mapping on my HDS showed them very well but I'm not sure about Navionics. Most of the time, my Insight is more accurate than my Navionics. So needless to say, if you go to this lake, be very careful.

Also, this is a very big lake as far as idle speed only lakes go. In 6 and half hours of fishing, I only covered maybe a quarter of the lake.

Water temp: 53 warming to 57 by the evening
    Clarity: 4-6 feet
    Light winds and cloudless skies with a high of 65.

We had our best luck by fishing three patterns. The first was targeting inside grasslines with tubes and other soft plastics around points. The next was to use the same baits but to target the outside grasslines of the same areas but also hitting grasslines that were close to deep water.

The fish didn't really seem to hold in the grass but rather relate to the edge of it. That may be because the grass was pretty much dead. Not really sure since I'm still learning how to fish lakes with submergent grass.
    Last edited by STEVE81; 09-24-2012 at 10:42 PM.
    2007 Triton TR-21X w/ Pro XS 250
    6" T&H Hi Jacker w/ 2" spacers
    26P Tempest

Great pics and very informative. Thanks! Nice fish too.
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

Steve,

Not really a secret, but a little farther off of 83 than other launch ramps around Audoban. Haven't fished it yet, but maybe one last trip this fall is in the works. Gotta get a day off first, but maybe. Good post, and good fish

Quote Originally Posted by BassinND View Post
    Steve,

Not really a secret, but a little farther off of 83 than other launch ramps around Audoban. Haven't fished it yet, but maybe one last trip this fall is in the works. Gotta get a day off first, but maybe. Good post, and good fish
    Thinking about going tomorrow evening for a few hours. You game?
    2007 Triton TR-21X w/ Pro XS 250
    6" T&H Hi Jacker w/ 2" spacers
    26P Tempest