New Johns 9-8-12

A friend and I hit the lake last saturday for a few hours of fishing and chose New Johns to get out of the wind. We actually had a pretty good day. The water temp was about 67 degrees and the water clarity was about the 3 ft on average but parts of the lake had an algea bloom that cut down on the vis. I think overall, we caught around 15 smallies and one tiny largemouth. Most of my fish better fish came on a 1/2 oz hard head jig with a watermelon red creature bait on the back of it. A bunch of smaller fish came on a 1/4 oz tube jig in a watermelon/gold fleck color. We stayed in the canals all day and, as usual, we could always count on at least one fish coming out of each culvert. We did run into a school of smaller fish that didn't seem to be relating to anything other than an inside grass line as well. I think our big fish of the day was a little over 4 pounds with most of the others being in the 2 1/2 to 3 pound range. I posted the pics in another thread in the lounge last weekend. The pics are here... http://www.bbcboards.net/bbc-lounge/...-smallies.html
    2007 Triton TR-21X w/ Pro XS 250
    6" T&H Hi Jacker w/ 2" spacers
    26P Tempest

Some Bass Bandits members got over to the GDU canals on 16 Sep for some fishing. Some really nice fish were caught. The secnod largemouth i've seen this year out of the New Johns area and an angry 4.65 smallmouth. While 6 lbs may be the norm at Lake St. Clair it isn't the norm all over the country. This canal system has some of the best i have seen anywhere for both size and numbers. I myself caught a 3.9 this day and have 5 or six others that big or bigger this year. A few weeks ago another member caught a 5.1 and has a coupleother big ones this year also. This really is a great system with walleye, pike, musky, and the occasional largemouth. Common for tournaments is a winning weight of 11 to 12 lbs and many weigh above 7. Just a token shout out to a lake that has been really good to me. Other should weigh in if they like the GDU bronzebacks