Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to remove a hook from your skin...A must see!

Yesterday my fishing partner buried a treble hook in his finger and I couldn't remember the braid technique for hook removal...However, he managed to work it out with pliers...So I decided to review the process this morning...You got to see this video...This is one bad dude!!!

I hate when that happens.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

3. Member
    Oh wow, he makes it look easy...but HE IS CRAZY!! We were on the right track yesterday, let's just hope we don't ever have to try it again!

Daniel Little

Great video!...I just never figured out how to do it when I'm by myself.
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE-SOMEONE PAID.

5. Member
    I have used that technique a couple of times on strangers on the water fishing alone. The worse case I ran across was a guy at Gaston. He had his whole hand wrapped around a large Redfin and fell in the boat. I felt awful for the guy,said he had passed out once on the way to the landing.

6. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Good stuff Robert!
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

7. Member
    The only way i've been able to get a hook out by myself is to carefully pull the barb back through another hole( by making one) in the skin and with a pair pliers snap the barb off . A little painfully to pierce your own skin but hopefully will never have to do it again.

Glen B removed a treble from a Rico out my leg with braid. Gawd it felt good when it came out.
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

I had the misfortune of sticking a KVD #2 treble in my hand this summer, pitching cranks. This method of hook removal is a great technique and almost painless when two people are involved BUT as stated above, this does not work independently, trust me i'v tried. And as we are all aware KVD trebles are not a round bend hook. I could not push it through, the radius of the hook just rips through it doesn't pierce due to the length of the shank. I secured one end of the braid as if someone was holding it, it don't work. After 3 attempts and i was done cussing and doing the monkey dance on the boat , i got the lineman pliers out pushed inward and gave a hardy yank, out it came. Also a side note i found helps, tell the person on the count of 3 you will yank, yank on the two count.....

10. Member
    richmonds PATIENCE FIRST removed mine last month at the james river event, 400.00 thank you . treble in right hand or i think i coulda got it out. had i known it would be that much i mighta left it in , used it for a new body piearcing or something.

i dont know if that guy is tough or stupid, or both

11. Member
    Why would you waste a perfect hook for catfishing....LOL

12. Member
    Seriously though i fished with a guy glen on lake chesdin years ago and he got a treble hook from a crankbait on his hand. So what did he do......He kept fishing with the crankbait rattling with each turn of the reel handle...I finally got tired of hearing the rattler that i removed the treble hook from the crankbait.....
    So at end of torunament he says he had a great evening and opened up a beer...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by munchie View Post
    richmonds PATIENCE FIRST removed mine last month at the james river event, 400.00 thank you . treble in right hand or i think i coulda got it out. had i known it would be that much i mighta left it in , used it for a new body piearcing or something.

i dont know if that guy is tough or stupid, or both
    I could have watched this video and saved you $200.

14. Banned
    This method did work for me a few months ago while fishin solo at a lake near the house. I managed to get a spinnerbait trailer hook stuck good in the fleshy portion of my right hand while pitch a spinnerbait just under an overhanging willow tree. Anyway I was alone and stuck good. I made 2 loops of 65# braided line approximently 18" Diameter. 1 loop though the eye of the hook and secured to a boat kleet. The other looped line over the hook shank and down to the bend of the hook and secured down to the point where the barb is in the skin. Now with both loops good and tight at 180 degrees of each other. The action needed to remove the hook is a sudden, "Go for it all no Half Ass attempt" jerk of my right hand in the direction of the looped line looped through the eye of the hook and tied to the kleet. Jerking in this direction will allow the barb to travel in the same direction coming out as it did going into my hand. It worked fine with no pain and no blood. A note I tried to relax as much as possible so the musles in my hand would not tense up as I tried jerking my hand toward the boat kleet. Hope this discription helped somone.

15. Member
    Well, here i am back to write. Was on james and i got a treble hook in left hand, bottom of thumb and to the left. We tried the technique but no success. My choices were to tie off with fishing string and wrap around wrist and keep fishing or go to doctor and cut my fishing time short. I searched all through my boat and partner looked through his and no pliers that would have cut the barb off. One last search and i found my craftsman small brown handle pliers in my worm box. I was not sure being that small if would have leverage to cut the barbs or not. So my partner cut one barb of the hook and they would work. So i grabbed the hook and pushed it through and then my partner cut the barb off and then slid the shank out...
    I got before and after pictures if u want them....LOL

16. Member
    Yeah, I want to see the pics. lol
    TONEY3238
    2000 Stratos 21 SS Extreme /
    2010 Mercury Pro XS 250

17. Banned
    Sadly had to use it again last weekend lol.

18. Banned
    Did this twice in two days a year ago.
    First was a treble hook in my brothers leg; I unhooked the treble from the crankbait, used a cord that came on a pair of fishing pliers. He did end up with a nasty infection that took a couple of months to clear up.
    The next day I came in hot toward a dock, so I knelt down fast the stop the boat from hitting the dock, and jammed a treble into my knee. This time I was on my own. Removed the hook from the crankbait, put that same cord around the hook, held down the shank with one hand, and jerked the cord with the other. It popped right out.

19. Member
    Nice video. Helpful for all fishermen because it happens to every one of us sooner or later.

20. Erik L.
    Here's how I got one out...(a little graphic)

Frog Only Report...Lessons Learned

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast