The Decline of Lake Guntersville

Wasn't sure where else to put it. I put some data together. Check it out.

The Decline of Lake Guntersville

2. Member
    No lake can sustain the amount of bass fishing Guntersville sees on a daily basis ,,, over the weeks ,, over the months,, over the years ,,this lake has endured but with a cost ,, while guides will never place a negative on the lake for the sake of the living they make ,, they too know things will and have declined,, with the sheer number of tournaments held on this lake each year ,, how do the bass adjust to the daily onslaught,, suspended or really deep .

Finding a secluded spot on this lake is next to impossible ,,, except when ,,,first thing in the mornings ,,, how long before others happen along ,,,how many have gps coordinates that lead them right to where someone thinks they have it all to them selves ,,, those days are gone are they not,,

Down here on the Mobile Tensaw Delta in South Alabama grass is a way of life for the fishes that live here,, the state thought they needed to kill off the exotic species of grass,,, the end result was a devastated bass population ,,,the grass is their home,,, they thrive in it,,, so grass in Guntersville serves the same purpose,,, leave the grass alone and watch the bass thrive,,,

Maybe there should be a maximum number of boats allowed on Guntersville ,,, a quota ,,,, ?
    Ballistics defined : The science of projectiles in motion.

3. Member
    I agree completely, Zach. Glad you took the time to compile the stats. I think your summary is right on target.
    I have fished the Big G 2 - 3 days during the week (NEVER the weekend) year round for 5 years. Does anybody work anymore?
    My catches have declined drastically. Instead of the "Name" & Notoriety wearing thin, tournaments continue to increase. I guess it's going t have to hit rock bottom before anything is done.

Try to make it to the next "Lake Improvement Meeting".
    The State Biologist (s) say stocking would have little effect nor would restricting creel limits or slot limits. Private biologist have a different opinion.
    I think the any type & ALL Tournaments ought to be required to contribute a portion of the "Pot" & not just the entry fees to preserving the Lake. Same goes for business who profit from fishermen. And, that doesn't mean wasting money on another "Study". Put the money to use buying the larger, 6 inch survivable fingerlings.
    In summation, nearly all the data points to one thing: there has been a three year slump for Guntersville, based upon the data I have collected. In truth, the lake hasn't been the same since around 2010. Why is the lake so stubborn? Many have speculated that it could be anything from natural trends to fishing pressure to the killing of aquatic vegetation. In truth, it could be any, all, or none of these. Yet, the fact remains that the lake has been impossibly hard for nearly everyone not at the very top of the game. While it behooves locals to avoid Guntersville and move on to other lakes, the word hasn't spread to out-of-towners, who continue to visit from thousands of miles away. While the economy can surely use their money, it would possibly save a lot of heartburn to try the other lakes on the Tennessee River. In the meantime, perhaps the rest will allow the Big G to return to what she was: the site of 30 + pound bags and 12+ pound fish.

Best Regards & Happy Trails!
    Ed

4. Member
    AGREED! Nobody works anymore! Find me an empty boat ramp parking lot on a Monday or Tuesday
    Last count I had on Guides & semi Guides (Not Coast Guard approved/licensed) on Guntersville was about 36. There's not 1/2 that many on the No 1 Lake Toledo Bend!
    Best Regards & Happy Trails!
    Ed

5. Member
    I think that a "quota" of boats is a legit possibility with the technology we have today. Then maybe a "quota" on the number of txs that can be held each year along with a quota on the number of boats in each tx. I am close to Chick and fish it a lot and I would be fine with something like that for the sake of being able to take my little girl there 15 years from now so that she can maybe catch a toad. It would also force us as fisherman to step outside the box with where we fish. If I could not get on Chick today then I might go fish a Normandy, Priest, Old Hickory. Something different than my usual Chick, Center Hill, or Dale Hollow.
    2004 Triton TR21X * 2021 Mercury 250 4 stroke

6. Member
    FLW guys out there practicing now. Not sure if it's a good indication of the "health" of the lake but they start Thursday. They may not be jumping in the boat but been able to catch good quality fish on every weekend throughout the winter. Best advice don't fish history change it up.