Bass Fishin & Old Mil Rangerhgm's Avatar

Oil Bottle Problem on 150 ProXS

I was out last Wednesday and the motor ran fine, but when I loaded up to leave I was wiping the boat down and noticed oil draining out from under the skirt below the cowling. I removed the cowling and found the cap on the oil bottle on the port side of the engine was loose. I tried to tighten it, but it was stripped so I had a new bottle installed yesterday. I had the oil tank full and it took 1.5 gal of $35 oil to refill it.

Suggestion......you might want to check yours.

2. Member

Mine Too

Same thing happened to ours, replaced tank and if you notice the tanks are different. I was told that the old tank leaking was caused by the cap and the bottle being two different types of plastic, the black cap being harder than the bottle causing the stripping issue. Haven't had any problem since being replaced.
    003 (Small).JPG045 (Small).JPG

Yup, same thing happened to my 2011 Pro XS. Your exactly correct. The replacement reservoirs have been redesigned. Rangerhgm should have seen a fault on his Smartcraft that said low engine oil.

4. Bass Fishin & Old Mil Rangerhgm's Avatar
    Nope, no fault , alarm or anything to indicate there was a problem.

HalfBaked....I assume your new bottle is the one on the right in your pic....that's what my new one looks like.

5. Member
    Yes, the one on the right is the new one and I did get a alarm.

6. Member
    I had the cap on my Mariner break/split when on a fishing trip to Michigan. Had to go around camp looking for a plastic cap that would fit onto tank. Talked to several other guy's that the same thing happened to. They use cheap plastic caps.