Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BBC SPONSOR

Powerhead remanufacturing service

At Chris Carson's Marine Servic,a family owned and operated business,we have been servicing and rebuilding outboard motors in the same location,under the same ownership and management since 1984,in Key Largo,Fl.We offer free pickup and delivery in most of Florida,and can painlessly arrange inexpensive shipping for folks farther away.Unlike most rebuilders happy to supply a re-man block,we have a "soup to nuts"approach,we receive your complete powerhead,dressed with fuel and electrics..
    You will know the price range for the work before the motor is shipped,the motor is torn down,accessed,priced,ok'd,and them serviced.
    This service includes all cylinders bored,all new pistons,rings,gaskets,seals,rod,wrist,main bearings,thermostats,poppet valves,fuel,oil and electric systems serviced,etc.
    The powerhead is then installed on a midsection and run in a test tank with a test prop for light loading,and systems checked,after which it is mounted on a test boat for partial breakin and final adjustments.Only after this thorough testing will your motor be re-crated and returned...remanufactured,tuned,timed,adjusted,wat er tested and with 1/2 the breakin completed.The work performed will carry a one year warranty.
    We also offer performance upgrades to enhance your motors performance while maintaining durability and ease of maintainence,and of course all our motors are equipped with our signature composite reeds.
    Since beginning our supporting vendor status,you've probably seen our yellow banner ad regarding CCMS Custom Reed Valves,our side business,but we've never advertised rebuilding here,and only recently mentioned our services in a few posts.After remaining a few powerheads from this site I have to say its nice to work on fresh water motors!
    So,should I change our reed valve add to a powerhead add?Please comment,thanks for reading,Chris Carson & family.

2. Member
    Advertising is used to gain business. If you believe it will generate business and it turn pay for the advertising then yes, I would consider it. How about another separate add for the other services you offer since you have essentially 2 businesses being the reeds and then all other services you provide. I am sure Al would appreciate the business as well.
    Javelin 370A
    Mercury 150

3. Member
    Man if you guys had a location in NW AR. you could make a lot of money.

4. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Heethen View Post
    Man if you guys had a location in NW AR. you could make a lot of money.
    Heethen,I can have your powerhead picked up,delivered and returned for 400-500$,Chris

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Carson's Marine View Post
    Heethen,I can have your powerhead picked up,delivered and returned for 400-500$,Chris
    Well as of right now, I am not in need of your services. Nothing personal, but I hope I never need you---lol. Do you guys do Yamaha? Up here people are starving for good outboard mechanics. That's why I have always taken my Yamahas to Hydra Tech for routine maintenance. I'll spread the word about you.

6. Member
    One of the bass boater's "never discussed but on mind" topic is .... how long is my outboard going to last, when is it gong to blow up, is it going to happen in a tournament...

There are DEFINITELY alot of us that would jump at a rebuild service that is top of line

7. BBC SPONSOR
    Ibi2000,read my post in general in" life expectancy of outboards",you may find it worthwhile,feel free to call if you need anything,Chris

8. BBC SPONSOR
    Well,changed it up a little,what do you think?,Chris

9. BBC SPONSOR
    Excuse me,apparently not yet...

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Oh I get it the Yellow banner/siggy. Yep looks good.

11. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Oh I get it the Yellow banner/siggy. Yep looks good.
    Thanks,pass the word,Chris

12. Member
    Chris,

How much to rebuild a 2.5efi?

13. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by vishus View Post
    Chris,

How much to rebuild a 2.5efi?
    The basic flat rate including all cylinders bored,new pistons,bearings,small parts,glass reeds,systems checked,and test run,then water tested,is 3000$.There is a core charge of 500$ for either bad crank or unrepairable block,or 1000$ for both if both are bad.No more upcharges for other mechanical parts...rods,heads,etc.If an electrical part shows to be faulty during testing you'll have to pay for the part,no more labor.Shipping both ways will be no more than 500$,call to discuss,Chris

14. Member
    I gotta add , Chris has been around the high performance outboard scene for a long time . His shop is one of the most respeced rebuilders in the business . He will personally talk to you and address any motor need , be it stock or super trick . He stands behind his work .

Keeping things simple means you have less chance of screwing it up .

!978 Glastron HPV 170 , Mod 2.4 Merc
    1989 Stratos 201 PRO , 1989 Mod Johnny GT 200

15. Moderator
    I just had my 2.5 efi done by Chris. After calling and talking to about 8 different rebuilders, both local and around the country, CCMS I decided was the best value with the most positive references for a stock rebuild.

The kicker for me was when my local outboard expert Bruce all the way up here in Minnesota already knew Chris and recommended him and already was selling the CCMS reeds.

I should have the powerhead next week, installed and ready to get back out on the water! Will report back :)

16. BBC SPONSOR
    Matt,your Powerhead should arrive Wednesday,Chris

17. Member
    Are we talking about the 2.5efi / 260hp? Because if so, you aren't boring my cylinders. Nikasil.

Now if you are, new sleeves or re-nik and new 2.5efi pistons...

Sorry if I wasn't clear on motor types.

18. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by vishus View Post
    Are we talking about the 2.5efi / 260hp? Because if so, you aren't boring my cylinders. Nikasil.

Now if you are, new sleeves or re-nik and new 2.5efi pistons...

Sorry if I wasn't clear on motor types.
    Youre correct,I was assuming you were speaking of a stock 2.5 Efi...150-175-200,steel sleeve motor.High perf,custom,and plated motors don't fit into the flat rate price skedual,sometimes their not more...just depends the condition of the plating etc,Chris

19. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Carson's Marine View Post
    Matt,your Powerhead should arrive Wednesday,Chris
    I got the powerhead back and installed, and its nearly done being broken in!

It was very easy to do and I don't even own an engine hoist or have much garage experience. I rented an engine hoist from a local rental shop for $20. Other than a few bolts there really isn't much to it. Anyone who isn't afraid to turn a wrench could do it, and probably save themselves a good chunk of money in the long run.

I like the fact that Chris installs the rebuilt powerhead on a test boat and runs it for a few hours of initial break-in before crating and shipping the powerhead off. Plus its nice that he stands behind his work by offering a warranty with the powerhead at no additional charge.

Communication was excellent from initial contact to post-install follow ups. You can tell Chris is really working hard to do everything he can make sure his customer is happy, which not everyone does these days. Thanks Chris! Will do business again (but hopefully not anytime soon if you know what I mean!).

Chris,

Ran the reeds I traded a fuel pump to you for. Motor is much better out of the hole. I mean night and day difference. It was sluggish out of the hole. Now it really jumps out when I gas it. Call me crazy but, the 200 is faster out of the hole than the 260 I just pulled off it last month. Prior to the reed change it wasnt. I didnt think reeds made that much difference. Reckon I was way wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast