Need some info on Procraft Bass boats

I'm new to this board but have been looking to get a new to me bass boat. I have my eye on a couple different Procrafts and a Ranger, from talking with different people I have heard good things about the Procraft but from reading some threads on here I'm worried about Transom problems. I have been looking at a 1998 18' w/150, a 1997 18"9" w/175 and a 1997 205 w/225 all are dual console and have the Mercury EFI. Are these some of the affected boats? Are the transom made out of wood?

thanks for any help and info,
    Kevin

2. Member
    Transoms have wood until the 2000 models. I have a 98 Astro 1800 with a EFI 150 (same as a Procraft) and have had no issues. I do have the typical stress cracks but they are slight. It greatly depends on how they are kept.
    Creativity is the defeat of habit.

3. Upper Chesapeake Bay Club Moderator RiverRatMD's Avatar
    All of those have wood in the transoms but ProCraft/Astro did some changes with the knee braces after '96 and that made them less likely to seperate. It truely depends on how they were treated and kept-up (like any other bass boat). I have a '92 ProCraft 180 Dual Pro and I beat the hell out of the thing. I Tournament fished out of it from '96 to 2003 and I didn't know the meaning of slow down to take on waves, flats, whatever came my way. I could take on stuff in this boat that 20 Footers turned back on and ran (Including Rangers). In 2009 I had my Transom Rebuilt due to seperation that I personally caused over the rough years i put on the boat.

Today, I still have her and use it quite often. I have a 22 Foot Gambler that I use for Tournaments and to blow away my buddies to the fishin holes, but I won't be parting with my ProCraft anytime soon. It's a great boat - comfortable, big, heavy. It has a 175Xri and mid 60's isn't a problem. I even Crab on the Chesapeake in it! If you go with the ProCraft, Just trim the engine up and jostle up & down on the engine while watching the transom for Flex...NO FLEX - Buy that sucker!
    Gambler 2200 / PRoCraft 180 / Roughneck Jet / Mercury 250XB, 175 / Evinrude 50

Thanks for the replies. So they are wood but they put some bracing in after 96 and if you don't try and kill it it should be OK. This link is one that looks very clean, don't know how its been driven. 1998 Procraft Bass Boat

That looks to be a good canidate .here is another . I fish this same year and model.
    '96 PROCRAFT 200DC W/ 200H.P

Like river rat said look at the condition in the back battery trays,transom shake the engine and look at the transom . look at all wood . ck the engine compression . plan on replacing fuel line to tank and filter,primer bulb,water pump t-stats, ck electrical connectors on red and yellow wires from voltage regulators for burnt connectors ,$150 each common problem pull lower unit drain ck for water take it to a dealer also for inspection . also test run it in the water . Just because it sounds good on trailer doesn't mean it makes power and runs .The 205 your looking at with a 225 is a fuel user . I have one in my driveway . seat sucks very uncomfortable. But that can be changed . Electronic they have si imaging ? Trolling motor condition and age . Batteries ? Procrafts are very good boats for the money . Rangers are very good boats for the money also. The nice thing about ranger is you can call and get any part . Procraft is out of bus. , but most parts are marine standard except seats and windshields have to be custom or made .

7. Upper Chesapeake Bay Club Moderator RiverRatMD's Avatar
    Those are two good looking boats. The blue/white one with a 150 looks super clean & the lines along the transom are perfectly straight...A real good sign! The 20 footer is one big & heavy boat - would be nice to have a dual axle trailer for that one.
    I really like the old hull designs, they handled rough water nicely. Here's my ol' 180 dual pro:

Classic hull design!!

8. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    The Blue/White 98' looks nice! One thing though.. Looks like the fenders on the trailer have been replaced.. On mine, that's the first thing that rusted when I started using it in the "brackish" St. Johns river.. Just an observation, might ask if it's been in saltwater.. Good luck!

Thanks for the input on these boats from what I have seen and read I do like them and haven't ruled them out yet, but I found a Ranger 462VS that has a good price on it that I'm going to look at this Saturday. Will see what happens.

10. Member
    I have pinned this thread to the top. We'll keep it here awhile and see if we can add to it. If anyone comes across any more information on the history of Procraft and Astro please post to this thread.

Thanks,

Steve

11. Upper Chesapeake Bay Club Moderator RiverRatMD's Avatar
    #2 Yesterday, 05:40 PM
    ok - i used to remember everything about the company but my memory is slipping these days

Brunswick corperation owned ProCraft & Astro until Johnny Morris (BPS/Tracker) bought majority shares in 1999. Johnny Morris had previously first purchased Fisher Bass boats, but then dropped that line to place ProCraft & Astro into the 'Marine Group'. He continued to have ProCraft and Astro built in the ProCraft plant in Tenn. He considered these boats the next level in quality bass boats at an affordable price. Many of the workers didn't stick with the company however (i think several of them went to Stratos/Javalin). In 2000 building techniques changed and hull design changed. In 2007, ProCraft launched a new line of bassboats that continued a couple more years until the line was halted. I'm not exactly sure what happened to the Astro line other than rumers of the original owner (Astroglass) tried to get it back - again not exactly sure what happened there but Astro was dropped before ProCraft.

When Procraft came out they were known for quality & attention to detail - - Bill Dance absolutely loved them! They had style, and had some very nice lines and lots of options. They really did well in the fish n ski segment also. Your question was: Were the '89's dependable and I have to say that depends on how it was kept. You'll have to go over that boat yourself and maybe even take a tech with you. That goes for ANY BOAT that old however. Good luck.

There ya go

12. Member
    hello im new hey I bought procraft the wiring hasent been touch but has been sitting for years everything works but the master when I cut in on the running lights the bilge pumps and the acc lights don't work is there something I need to look for please help

13. Tennessee Football Basstronaut's Avatar
    ^
    Last edited by Basstronaut; 07-06-2015 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Wrong Thread
    2019 Old Town - Topwater 120 PDL, Powerpole Micro, Helix 7 Mega SI/DI/GPS

Previous Rigs:

2018 Weldbilt 1648V / Johnson 9.9. Helix 12 G2 Mega DI / Helix 5 G2 GPS
    1999 Procraft 205 Pro / Merc 225 EFI. HB 998 / 798
    2013 Tracker Pro 160 / Merc 25 Fourstroke. HB 958 / 798
    1994 Stratos 270 VF / Johnson 150 Faststrike.
    90's 15' ft. Sea Nymph / 2010 Merc 9.9. HB 598 / 570

Previous Kayaks:

2010 Ascend 10T / HB 60
    2013 Ascend FS128T (Pair)
    2017 Field & Stream Shadow Caster 125

14. Member
    I'm new here and recently acquired what I assume is a fish and ski?? It's a 1982 Procraft that looking at it I would call a bass boat. It is 17' with a 115 Evinrude. I am restoring it and my first problem is that I can not read what the 5 switches on the dashboard say. First is "master" and last is "lights" with with 3 in between. Tracing bad wiring doesn't help. I am rewiring. I found a series of pictures on line which had the panel in the bow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

15. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Just guessing but Livewell, Bilge, and Aux would be my guess. (Not in any particular order) If one of the switches is orange/red, it's the horn. Good luck!

16. Member
    Is there anywhere I can obtain technical info for my 02 ProCraft SuperPro 210? i.e. wiring/fuse diagrams? I'd like to try to get my 12v power outlet working again, but I don't know where to start. Also info to generally spruce it up and fine tune it.
    Thank you

Just a guy tryin\' to get to the next level...at everything I try.

17. Member
    Any place to buy a dash panel for a 98 Procraft 17 bass? Have a chance to buy one but it has a crack on the right side of the dash and would like to replace if possible.