There seems to be a lot of questions how to spot a Canadian. Guideline

Here are a few hints

1. You are a Canadian if you spend, as a member of my family did recently, three days in a top teaching hospital, get the best cardiac care going, and on your way out, gratefully walk right by the sign that says Cash Office, because it's all paid for, and that's what we support and believe in: universal health care.

2. You're a Canadian if you like vinegar on your French fries, think just about anything - especially barbecued salmon - goes better with maple syrup, and admit poutine could be the national dish, especially if it's gussied up by top chef Jamie Kennedy.

3. You're a Canadian if you've politely said, "I'm sorry" at least once in the past week to someone who jostled YOU in the subway, but you privately swear more than Americans, Brits or Aussies. (It's true! We're the best damn swearers around.)

4. You're a Canadian if you think a Prime Minister with a divisive modus operandi and a penchant for control meets the bar to be called "a dictator." Just don't take that to North Korea.

5. You're a Canadian if you gripe about the heat during what amounts to a measly two-month summer. And if the first snowfall in winter always seems like a personal affront.

6. You're a Canadian if your country hosts a contentious G-20 conference and no one was killed or seriously injured during the inevitable street riots, but in which, a year later, you're still rightfully calling the police on the carpet for their heavy-handed presence and egregious abuse of power.

7. You're a Canadian if in public you don't really feel like thanking God for everything; whom you pray to is still a private matter, thank you very much.

8. You're a Canadian if the sound of Gordon Lightfoot singing Ribbon of Darkness moves you to tears almost as much as Justin Bieber pouting out Baby, but for very different reasons. And if you think the most pertinent fact about international megastars like Celine Dion, Michael Bublé and Christopher Plummer is that they are Canadian, just like you!

9. You're a Canadian if you refile your taxes to correct a tiny mistake, wait patiently at a red light to cross the street even though no car is coming, and address a surly American customs guard as Sir even after he has menacingly threatened not to let you into his country because of some minor omission on your customs card.

10. You're a Canadian if, when visiting Paris and dressed like any North American - so casually that as David Sedaris once put it, you look "like you're ready to mow someone's lawn" - and a resident asks what part of "the States" you're from, you bristle and proudly declare your nationality.

In short, you're a Canadian if you're nice but not too nice, deferential to authority but still ready to insist on justice, especially when it comes to rogue cops, and if you don't need a UN quality-of-life survey to convince you that you live in the best damn country in the world.

Oh and you're very much a Canadian if you read this list and said, what the hell? She didn't even mention hockey.

Have a great week eh!
    Myla

2. Member
    You forgot to mention that your Canadian if you think that speedos, sandals and black socks are acceptable beachwear

3. Banned
    Your Canadian if you give a shit about this post.

Quote Originally Posted by i2icustom View Post
    Here are a few hints

2. You're a Canadian if you like vinegar on your French fries, think just about anything - especially barbecued salmon - goes better with maple syrup, and admit poutine could be the national dish, especially if it's gussied up by top chef Jamie Kennedy.
    Not quite sure who came up with that one. Ask in just about any restaurant if they have maple syrup and my guess would be no. And poutine might be popular in Quebec, but sure don't see it anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    You forgot to mention that your Canadian if you think that speedos, sandals and black socks are acceptable beachwear
    Not this one. You are thinking Italians
    Myla

You're a Canadian if your shitting all over my lawn..... oh wait a minute, them are geese.. sorry carry on

Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    You're a Canadian if your shitting all over my lawn..... oh wait a minute, them are geese.. sorry carry on
    Myla

Quote Originally Posted by Al from Canada View Post
    Not quite sure who came up with that one. Ask in just about any restaurant if they have maple syrup and my guess would be no. And poutine might be popular in Quebec, but sure don't see it anywhere else.
    I was wondering about that one..........vinegar on frech frys really?

French fries and mayo is the best
    Myla

10. Mambi pambi land
    in regards to the swimsuit choice its canadian too. Our beaches are invaded by them every summer and its also one of the only places you will find vinegar offered with fry's.

11. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Paduke View Post
    Your Canadian if you give a shit about this post.
    If given a choice between piss and vinegar, I'm guessing you prefer piss on your French, er Freedom, Fries.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

12. Member
    I usually look for the swerving RV with the LUND boat on the back eah!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepags View Post

Malt vinegar on fries is amazing!

Lots of places got vinegar for your fries aroud here. I like mayo on mine.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by i2icustom View Post
    Here are a few hints

1. You are a Canadian if you spend, as a member of my family did recently, three days in a top teaching hospital, get the best cardiac care going, and on your way out, gratefully walk right by the sign that says Cash Office, because it's all paid for, and that's what we support and believe in: universal health care.

If you like it, you can keep it. We've got a private hospital chain in Texas that spends more on cancer research than the entire nation of Canada. I don't want anything to be controlled by the government if it can be done privately. We needed to fix the problems, not trash the best healthcare system in the world.

But - I have fished in Canada - loved it! And I like everyone I've ever met from Canada.
    __________________________________________________ ______
    2013 Ranger Z520C
    2020 Mercury 250 4- Stoke
    2X Garmin 106sv
    Garmin Panoptics Livescope
    Garmin Force Trolling Motor

Quote Originally Posted by HiOSilver View Post
    If you like it, you can keep it. We've got a private hospital chain in Texas that spends more on cancer research than the entire nation of Canada. I don't want anything to be controlled by the government if it can be done privately. We needed to fix the problems, not trash the best healthcare system in the world.

But - I have fished in Canada - loved it! And I like everyone I've ever met from Canada.
    Well said!
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepags View Post
    They offer it at most of the hot dog stands and booths at the fairs and events up here. Must be to keep our Canadian visitors happy. The worst is those Quebec fries covered in gravy and cheese.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HiOSilver View Post

And I say thank you; hopefully they will find the cure.
    Then they can figure out why a 30min trip to the ER costs a grand.

19. Indiana Bass Club Moderator sc419795's Avatar
    My mom is from England. We grew up with fish & chips and a good dousing of malt vinegar. I still use it on fish and fries. Yummy!
    Steve
    2006 Sylvan Expedition Sport
    2006 Yamaha F150 TXR s/n 63P L 1041829

I learned about vinegar and fries when I was in Plattsburgh, NY. Not too bad, really! Especially seasoned fries! I still prefer Tabasco on fries, though.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!