Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Kayak shopping...

I was looking at the NuCanoe, It looks bulkier than I want... But I think I might go to the Wilderness Tarpon 120 Angler or Jackson Coosa. Not sure about sitting low to fish, but want one I can scoot the rivers with the wife. She wants to get the Jackson Riviera. This is where we shopped and they had a ton of them. K a y a k C o r r a l

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/pro...pon_120_angler

http://jacksonkayak.com/jk-kayaks/kayak-fishing/coosa/

Riviera - Jackson Kayak - Whitewater, Recreational, Touring and Fishing kayaks Jackson Kayak – Whitewater, Recreational, Touring and Fishing kayaks

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by 21XDC; 08-11-2012 at 07:10 PM.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Go here, plug in the make and models you're interested in and read the reviews. The reviews are for the most part honest real world reviews by actual users. I reviewed my kayak a couple of years ago and it was not modified or edited in any way. It's a start

Kayak and Canoe Reviews: Find the best kayaks, canoes, paddles, & PFDs

I own the second one you listed, the Perception Caster Angler 12.5. It's the same as the Gander one on your list also.

It's my first and only kayak, so I honestly can't compare it to anything else. I read a boatload of reviews on it before I bought it, most of them positive. At 65 lbs I have no trouble lifting it up onto the car racks. I weigh over 200 lbs, but I find it very stable. One trip last year the weather turned on me quick and I was in whitecap conditions. I got tossed around a bit, but never came close to going in the drink. I think for the money you can't beat it. I made some upgrades to the seat to double the thickness of the seat cushion using an EVA foam floor mat and other minor things I did on the cheap. I never have trouble keeping my path while paddling, and I can get along at a nice clip. I often spend up to 6 - 8 hours out in it (with an occasional piss / stretch break) and am no worse for wear at the end.

For getting on the water to fish, you cant beat it for the money.

I have been reading alot of reveiws on this hull, and it seems the biggest complaint is it's a wet ride and needs scupper plugs to help. It's also a low ride and can take some water over the top easier than some others. I wonder if there is something in the price point that is better.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

5. Member
    Mike ..... what do you want to know about the Coosa???? I've got 2 (a Lowland camo and a Woodlands camo).

The whole reason my wife and I have this model is due to river bass fishing. We do take our Xpress whenever we can, but for most of our rocky rivers, a kayak is just the way to go. We've fished out of Oceans and a few other models that we've rented or borrowed for a day from a friend, but for the last 2yrs we've found that the Coosa has been the best boat for the job.

Now to rib on you a little ....... you do realize you can't play with props on these things, right?!?

You can become another kind of propulsion guru ....... 'the paddle'
    LOL ! Actually, I can't say much, I'm currently installing a trolling motor system for her Coosa.

On a serious note .... on the paddle ....... if you go with a Coosa, get AT LEAST a 240 paddle. We never fish out of the 'low position' (and we both stand to fish alot), but the 240 is the shortest paddle I'd recommend for the Coosa in a 'high seat' paddling position. Also, don't waste your money on a aluminum paddle. It's amazing how a light paddle will not wear you down over the coarse of a day.

Lastly, if you've not already found this sight yet ...... RiverBassin.com .......... there are a lot of knowledgeable folks there.

ALL sot's have scupper holes - they're self draining. In other words, you would want then removed for ocean use where water would be constantly coming in. ANY sot kayak can be used without scupper plugs, it will not sink ! Here's how I seal mine - foam practice golf balls. In the two years I've had mine, I never once got a wet ass or took in water I didn't want to begin with. I'm not trying to push you toward the Perception, I'm just telling you my experiences. I too have heard about the "wet ride" and, speaking for myself, have never experienced it. Perhaps the fact that one does sit low in it adds to the stability as the center of gravity is lower. Either way, no matter what you buy, getting towed around by a nice fish in a yak is a blast

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I have a Coosa and really like it for fishing rivers and smaller reservoirs. I like the high/low seat, I leave it in the high position 95% of the time; the only time I go low is in windy conditions or when going through some fast water.

coosa-side-web.jpg

I have seen these pics you posted here on some other web sites as I think I have found them all. This wont be a fishing machine or I would get the coosa. My wife wants this hobby to be something we can do together and she dont want to make it another "fishing" hobby. I told her I want to be "able" to fish from it if I want too when shes not going. So... I want a river cruiser mostly and the coosa is more of a fishin model that wont glide is well.

I'm looking for the crossover that will fit my needs w/o breaking the bank...

BTW... Many buy a pool noodle and cut off pieces for the plugs and use them to also hold fishing lures.

The lightweight of this one has me looking??? Sun Dolphin Bali Sit-On 12' Kayak: Fishing & Marine : Walmart.com

10. Moderator
    After loading/unloading a nucanoe all this weekend my only complaint is the weight. IT IS HEAVY!!! It fishes awesome though. My dad bought the adjustable seats and it is very comfortable.

What paddles are the best bang for the buck? I dont want to spend a small fortune...

I went with the aluminum handled ones that Dick's carried, because that's where I bought my kayak at. I'm 48 years old and not an Olympic athlete, but I don't get fatigued enough to want a carbon fiber world class paddle Seriously, it's fine for me. I found the link ...

Quest Chute Aluminum Kayak Paddle - Dick's Sporting Goods

13. Member
    Mike ...... you're right ... the Coosa is a fisher and not something I'd want to take as a 'paddling kayak'. It's flat bottom makes it AWESOME for fishing rocky rivers, but that flat bottom is not the best at tracking. It's not bad as a fishing kayak since most of the time you're fishing .... but a paddling trip is a different story.

You might want to check out Jackson's newest Cuda ..... the Cuda 12. It's still got great fishing features, but it has a more pronounced keel, thus making it track nicely from what I've been told by buddies of mine that are on Jackson Pro Staff.

Paddles ..... Aquabound Manta Rays are what what we are currently useing. They are fairly light and not terribly expensive. I do have a Carlisle DayTripper that I still keep, but it's only b/c I've camo'ed it for duck hunting. After getting used to the Manta Ray, the DayTripper feels like an anchor.

Good Luck!

I like to learn as much as I can and make an educated purchase, hopefully avoiding a purchase mistake... Sorry for all the questions... Just learning.

15. Member
    No problem ...... a lot of us feel the same way about Props and appreciate Mark and yourself taking time to answer our questions too.

Keep them coming.

16. Member
    Correct on both parts.

I really like a 12'-ish yak for river fishing. When you start getting longer, it really makes it more difficult to maneuver in the rivers.

And you were correct about the Cuda ..... it is/was originally 14' ..........

But new for 2013, Jackson is coming out with this .... the Cuda 12' ....... it's said to be a 'short Cuda, that hybridizes the Cuda's tracking ability to the shortness of the Coosa'. Just realize that you give up a little width compared to the Coosa.

If I was planning on doing much paddling in dead water, I would probably sale one of my 2 Coosa's for one of these.

Cuda 12 - Jackson Kayak - Whitewater, Recreational, Touring and Fishing kayaks Jackson Kayak – Whitewater, Recreational, Touring and Fishing kayaks

Another one to look at is the Wilderness Systems Ride 135 an Ride 115. They are stable boats that allow standing if you'd like to stretch your legs but that paddle a little easier. The Cuda 14 is a great boat and I really enjoyed paddling it. It did take a few more paddle strokes to get up to speed than the Ride 135 that I tried. Some tend to think the Ride glides better/farther but I would still have to go with a Jackson Kayak to get that phenominal seat!!!!!!

I just looked at the ride 115 in their catalog I have at home and it looks great. One downside is it is heavier than most. But it sure carries a load at 500lbs. http://www.wildernesssystems.com/pro...5_angler_2012/

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast