Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vortex Hub Questions on Ranger Trailer

I have a 2008 Ranger trailer and I am in the process of switching from Turbo Lube oil bath hubs over to the new Vortex hubs. For those of you that have already made the switch did you have to get some new stainless steel wear sleeves for the spindles to complete the installation? I noticed on the Vortex literature they mention using a stainless steel wear sleeve however they do not include sleeves with the new hubs. If new sleeves are required where do you purchase these from?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

2. Member
    When you by the Vortex hubs from Ranger they are completely assembled with a spindle, pop the old one off and install the new one.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

3. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    +1. Just had Ranger send me all 4 for my 09 Z520. They come ready to install from Ranger. Get a short handled sledge hammer, a couple of the old ones were a pain to knock out of the housing.

Quote Originally Posted by howieranger View Post
    When you by the Vortex hubs from Ranger they are completely assembled with a spindle, pop the old one off and install the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by 09RangerZ520 View Post
    +1. Just had Ranger send me all 4 for my 09 Z520. They come ready to install from Ranger. Get a short handled sledge hammer, a couple of the old ones were a pain to knock out of the housing.
    Curious what 4 of them cost.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

5. Member
    I got four Vortex for $220 however they were not bought from Ranger so no spindles attached. I hope the current sleeves on my spindle are okay otherwise if they are bad I will use a Speedi Sleeve or a Redi Sleeve.

6. Member
    Are you sure Ranger sent out the Vortex hubs from Tie Down or did they send the Vault hubs? I didn't think Ranger sold the Vortex hubs as they were using Vaults.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tellis View Post
    Are you sure Ranger sent out the Vortex hubs from Tie Down or did they send the Vault hubs? I didn't think Ranger sold the Vortex hubs as they were using Vaults.
    Explored this option earlier this year myself andNo, Ranger does not sell the Tie Down Vortex hubs. They have a different sealed unit hybrid oil hub but it is not straight compatibale with my 2008 Tie down design and I was told they required a conversion kit along with them.

8. Member
    I have a 2005 519VX. Called Ranger and got the correct bearing size. Went online and shopped for best price for Vortex hub assemblies and ordered for 61.00 ea. Had no problem installing. In my opinion money well spent.

What is involved in changing to vortex or vault? Can you get them with the brake rotor?
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

10. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I don't know, had all of them replaced under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post
    Curious what 4 of them cost.

11. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Ranger sent me 4 complete Vortex hub assemblies and all I had to do was knock the old ones out and put the new ones on. I had bad play in my old oil bath hubs and ended up having to buy 4 new tires because of uneven wear on the tires. When the trailer was up on the jack, I could grab the tire and wiggle it, which obviously isn't normal/good. But Ranger did send the Vortex hubs from Tie Down with the hybrid grease in them.

Quote Originally Posted by tellis View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 09RangerZ520 View Post
    Ranger sent me 4 complete Vortex hub assemblies and all I had to do was knock the old ones out and put the new ones on. I had bad play in my old oil bath hubs and ended up having to buy 4 new tires because of uneven wear on the tires. When the trailer was up on the jack, I could grab the tire and wiggle it, which obviously isn't normal/good. But Ranger did send the Vortex hubs from Tie Down with the hybrid grease in them.
    Me too. I had an oil bath hub blow up, and Ranger sent me two (single axle trailer) Vortex hub assemblies with spindle, hub, and rotor all in one piece. Just knock out the old spindle from behind (not so easy sometimes) and install the new assemblies.

vortexhubs.jpg

End apostrophe abuse now!

13. Member
    Looking for torque specs for whole vortex castle but.

I believe the torque is 100 lb-ft. Good luck getting a torque wrench in there to tighten tho. I ended up using a pipe wrench on the nut and a 4# hammer to tighten.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

15. Member
    Sorry for the rookie question but what is the advantage of the Vortex hubs over oil bath hubs and what is the go forward maintenance with new Vortex hubs?
    I currently have original oil bath hubs on my 2006 RangerTrail. Thx!
    2006 Ranger 520VX HPDI 225
    HDS Gen3 12 on console & bow
    Dual 8' PP Blades

16. Member
    My oil bath was constantly getting water in them even after new seals. Vortex is do nothing for 6 years as far as maintaining them. Think mine was about 100 + tax give or take a little from Ranger one nut off and a sledge hammer and one but back on and your done. Not to bad to do at all.

Don't forget to have a torch nearby. Mine needed a little more persuasion than just a 4# mallet, had to heat them up a little to get them to let go.
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.

I just did my trailer about 2 weeks ago. The hubs come completely assembled. The hardest part is getting the old ones off. If you don't want to drop the axle from the mount, it is a tight fit to get a good blow on the back of the old spindle to drive it out. The axle mounting flange is right in the way. If you have a torch, it makes it MUCH easier if you heat up the trailing arm around the old spindle. A MAP gas torch is plenty hot enough and can be picked up at Home Depot for less than $20. Other than that it's just a straight bolt back up job. Ranger parts will ask you what kind of brake disc you have on your trailer. One type of disc takes a shorter mounting bracket for the brake caliper using the new hub Ranger said. I'd also recommend you take a look at your brake pads and replace them now if needed. You are already there so might as well do it now.

19. Member
    Does anyone know if a 2018 Ranger Z520 comes with oil bath or Vortex hubs?
    Don Blume

2018 Ranger Z520C
    2018 Mercury 250 Pro XS 2B525775 2-Stroke

Past Rigs
    2008 Triton Tr186 with Mercury 175 Pro XS
    2000 Ranger R73 with Mercury 125
    1976 Basscat with 150 Mercury

I think all new trailers are coming with the Vortex hubs. Ranger no longer offers or even carries the parts for oil bath. If you have oil bath and call Ranger for parts they will convert you over to Vortex.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast