unibb34

VMax tilt/trim problem

I have an '01 VMax 175. Lately the the power trim/trim has been making an unusual noise when operated. Hard to describe but kind of a intermintent scraping or buzzing sound coming from one of the cylinders. It usually happens when the trim is used and not so much when the tilt is in operation. It doesn't do it all the time.

Local Yamaha dealer (whom I didn't like or trust) looked at it and said that a cylinder is going out and the whole power tilt/trim unit needs to be replaced because of the fact that it is a one piece unit. Cost would be $2250 plus labor. Obviously, I am going to get another evaluation done and also call Yamaha. Anyone have any advice or assistance they would be willing to share? Thanks.

2. Member

Re: VMax tilt/trim problem (unibb34)

Did you try greasing the contact points at the ends of the rams? That's a common area for noise. There's a large single ball bearing on the motor side where the rams contact. Tilt it all the way up so you can get to 'em. Then spray silicone all over anything that moves.

Mike

Hold My Beer And Watch This !

3. Member

Re: VMax tilt/trim problem (Hamfisted)

Mine did something similar after a trip to the car wash
    A little grease on all the fittings and it was fixed

4. Member

Re: VMax tilt/trim problem (unibb34)

Grease the end of the rams. This fixes all kind of noises.

5. Member
    I have the 150 and started having the same issue, did the grease fix the issue? I sent mine to 5 star yesterday with hopes of another couple of years.
    Alfred Reid

6. Member
    5 Star is the real deal if need trim work they got it done and back. Devon also has you tube video showing how to get unit off
    Im all in with service and a 2year warrenty.
    Alfred Reid

7. Member
    If it still functions well, as others have said, grease all points possible. Air in the line sound? Could mean a bad seal, but a first try, could be replacing the hydraulic oil. It really shouldn't intake any dirt, but it could be a possibility with that old of a unit as wear does occur. Basically and oil change and bleeding procedure may help.

8. Member
    Check the bushings in the lower pivot. It is a very easy DIY project and it made a huge difference in how smooth and how quiet my T&T operated. My motor is a 225 HPDI.

Wayne