Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Post MinnKota iPilot Link: Information Resource

MinnKota iPilot Link will now connect the MinnKota Terrova or PowerDrive V2 with IPilot Link to your Humminbird and LakeMaster. This Thread is to discuss the iPilot and the iPilot Link. MinnKota has had the iPilot for several years and now with iPilot Link will allow a networking solution of the Johnson Outdoors Family of Brands Humminbird. LakeMaster and MinnKota to create a Boat Control Network

MinnKota Webpage on iPilot Link: Minn Kota Motors
    Humminbird Webpage on iPilot Link: Humminbird: America

Press Release from ICAST 2012:
    Breakthrough Technology Results in Unprecedented Boat Control With Minn Kota®’s i-Pilot® Link™

July 2012

Racine, WI–

Continuing the evolution of GPS trolling motor navigation, Minn Kota®'s i-Pilot® Link™ leverages the technologies of Humminbird® and LakeMaster® to achieve new levels of boat control. i-Pilot Link utilizes GPS technology and Ethernet connectivity to enable communication and functionality between select Minn Kota motors, select Humminbird fishfinders, and LakeMaster digital GPS maps. “i-Pilot Link is an amazing new technology that directly benefits anglers,” Minn Kota Senior Product Manager Dave Maryanov said. “The ability to store and record location data on the fishfinder, and the ability to have the trolling motor use that data for automatic navigation, is something that fishermen have been asking for. Now with i-Pilot Link they finally have it.”
    The interconnectivity between technologies allows for simple, push-of-a-button operation from either the i-Pilot Link wireless remote or the Humminbird fishfinder, and supports i-Pilot Link’s many exciting new features.
    i-Pilot Link’s unique Follow The Contour feature directs the trolling motor to follow a specific depth contour that is displayed on a LakeMaster digital GPS map. The chosen contour line can be automatically followed in either direction. In addition, anglers have the option to offset a certain distance from a chosen contour line allowing them to present the bait to a specified depth. Follow The Contour can also be offset from the shoreline so anglers can automatically follow a path at a set distance from shore.
    The Go To feature steers the boat to specific locations such as waypoints, Spot-Locks and iTracks. These locations can be recorded either from the fishfinder or from the remote. Up to 2,500 waypoints and Spot-Locks, and 50 iTrack locations can be stored in the fishfinder.
    Spot-Locks are locations that have been recorded and stored using the Spot-Lock feature on the i-Pilot Link remote or Humminbird fishfinder. When activated, Spot-Lock works like an electronic anchor by keeping the boat within a five-foot radius of the selected spot. If the boat drifts more than five feet from the Spot-Lock location, the trolling motor is activated to bring the boat back into position.
    iTracks are specific trolling motor paths (up to two miles in length) that have been recorded and stored so they can be re-tracked upon request. Anglers can record productive trolling paths such as weed lines, shorelines and river beds then automatically retrace them at any time with i-Pilot Link’s iTrack feature.
    New features on the i-Pilot Link are all in addition to the classic functions of the original i-Pilot, including:
    Cruise Control maintains real-time on-the-water boat speed in one-tenth mile-per-hour increments. This precise speed control allows the angler to dial in bait presentations in trolling applications.
    Advanced AutoPilot™ utilizes GPS technology to maintain the boat path on a true heading while adjusting for wind, waves, current and side-drift. This results in improved and more accurate tracking compared to traditional compass-based systems. An Advanced AutoPilot heading can be set from the i-Pilot Link remote or directly from the Humminbird fishfinder.
    CoPilot™: Minn Kota’s wireless trolling motor control system that is integrated into the i-Pilot Link remote control. Anglers can control speed and steering from anywhere in the boat.
    The i-Pilot Link remote features a full-color graphic LCD screen to display GPS signals, remote battery charge, prop status, current function and user menus. The remote also displays important data such as water depth and temperature. Most i-Pilot Link functions can be activated on the waterproof remote or with the Humminbird unit. The remote includes a rechargeable Li-ion battery.
    i-Pilot Link is compatible with Terrova™, PowerDrive™ V2, Riptide® ST and Riptide SP trolling motors, and is exclusive for use with most Humminbird models that have Ethernet capabilities. Follow The Contour works exclusively with i-Pilot Link enabled LakeMaster digital GPS maps.
    The i-Pilot Link accessory will be available to consumers December 2012 and has a suggested retail price of $799.99. It will also be available on select trolling motors as standard equipment.
    Minn Kota will continue to offer the traditional i-Pilot accessory that includes Spot-Lock, Record A Track, Cruise Control, Advanced AutoPilot and CoPilot features.
    For more information please contact us at 800-227-6433 or email us at service@minnkotamotors.com .
    Johnson Outdoors Marine Electronics, Inc. consists of the Minn Kota, Cannon, Humminbird and LakeMaster brands. Minn Kota® is the world’s leading manufacturer of electric trolling motors, as well as offers a complete line of shallow water anchors, battery chargers and marine accessories. Cannon® is the leader in controlled-depth fishing and includes a full line of downrigger products and accessories. Humminbird® is a leading innovator and manufacturer of fishfinders, fishfinder/GPS combo units, ice flashers and digital depth gauges. LakeMaster® is a premier brand of digital GPS maps.

Last edited by SLYDoggie; 04-02-2022 at 05:19 PM.
    --

http://www.dougvahrenberg.com/

BASS Central Open- Competitive Bass Angler and Humminbird Guru
    Visit my website to learn about my sponsor's products, fishing tips and techniques.

Learn More About Humminbird Side Imaging Visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaginggroup/

2. Member
    I currently own a Terrova with Ipilot.
    Do you know if Spot Lock will have better anchoring on this new system? Mine definitely drifts more than 5 feet before activating and then it is a mad rush to get back to the spot. Makes it tough for a crappie guy to sit on brush. I currently control it manually and keep the speed just right to keep me from drifting away.

3. Member
    Still 5ft advertised drift. When yours drifts more than 5ft have you looked at your GPS signal on the remote? When mine drifts more than 5ft gps signal is 3 bars or less.
    Does it go to 10 very quickly to get back to the spot? Mine steps up power a little bit on the slow side for my liking but I fish a lot of fast current/high wind conditions.

Is that a 360 on the back of Lindner's boat? For what Doug does for HB, you think they would have hooked him up already. I think a lot of units have been purchased because of DV.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

5. Member
    Do you know if Spot Lock will have better anchoring on this new system? Mine definitely drifts more than 5 feet before activating and then it is a mad rush to get back to the spot!

^^^^+1

Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post
    Is that a 360 on the back of Lindner's boat? For what Doug does for HB, you think they would have hooked him up already. I think a lot of units have been purchased because of DV.
    If that is the 360, it doesn't look like a normal transom mount or even a Talon. Stop the video when it shows that item and look at how much of the boat is behind the device. It could be mounted through a backtroll splash plate though ????
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

So, If you currently own an I-Pilot......Is it a complete changeout or is it just a different remote?
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

8. Member
    Its a different head unit and remote

9. Member
    Doug, that Ipilot remote lcd screen looks like it might be hard to see outside, their images showed a bit of glare.

10. Member
    Doug, can the itracks be transferred to another unit like waypoints?

Since the iPilot saved the data on the remote and did not have a way to share stored data I don't see how it could share to the new system. But here is what I am thinking is to let the original iPilot control the trolling motor and save on your Humminbird then you could share since the Humminbird will be connected to the new iPilot Link via an Ethernet connection.

Found this video that may help show more features and how iPilot Link will work.

I'm working on trying to get us some help from those that have seen the new system and have run iPilot to help us answer questions about it. I'm hoping to get some time more time on the water with iPilot Link and 360 Imaging when I go the FLW Championship... since Humminbird has engineering offices not far from Lake Lanier.
    Last edited by SLYDoggie; 04-02-2022 at 05:17 PM.
    --

Visit my website to learn about my sponsor's products, fishing tips and techniques.

Learn More About Humminbird Side Imaging Visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaginggroup/

Doug, Will this work on a different map chip? What works and does not work on other map chips. I'm in South Carolina so the Lake Master chip has very few lakes around me.
    Mike Pruett
    Carolina Skiff
    75 HP Optimax
    2007 Ford Expedition EL

13. Member
    Doug, I think you got it backwards or maybe I read wrong. The "gen 1&2" i pilots saved data on the control head not the remote. This is why you can buy a gen 2 i pilot remote and it worked with gen 1 control head but you did not get the extra 3 tracks and spot memory.

I think the Gen 3 i pilots store the data in the remote and in the HB unit.

The question I have is can you buy just the link unit and remote and use with gen 1&2 control head?

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrasports196 View Post
    Doug, Will this work on a different map chip? What works and does not work on other map chips. I'm in South Carolina so the Lake Master chip has very few lakes around me.
    The Navigate a Contour Feature is what requires the NEW 2013 LakeMaster Card all other functions will work without the Mapping Card... Spot Lock, Navigate a Track isn't map based navigation.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by fsae99 View Post
    Doug, I think you got it backwards or maybe I read wrong. The "gen 1&2" i pilots saved data on the control head not the remote. This is why you can buy a gen 2 i pilot remote and it worked with gen 1 control head but you did not get the extra 3 tracks and spot memory.

I think the Gen 3 i pilots store the data in the remote and in the HB unit.

The question I have is can you buy just the link unit and remote and use with gen 1&2 control head?
    Your Correct it's in the control head but the the Gen 1 and 2 iPilots do not have an export function that you can connect to so the data is stored inside with no way to retrieve. The iPilot Link will have an Ethernet Connection and that is how it will share data and can be controlled by the Humminbird Unit. You will be able to store more tracks up to 50 because of the capacity of the Humminbird and 2500 Spot Locks because of the HUmminbird Waypoint Limits. Which will vastly increase the iPilot Link usefullness. Since Gen 1 was 3 Spot Locks and Gen 2 was 6 you now can have 2500 Spotlocks on more lakes and more areas for you to use and remember.

You have to have the complete system to upgrade to the Networking features of marrying the MinnKota iPilot Link, Humminbird and LakeMaster. The need iPilot Link Unit that attaches to the trolling motor will have an Ethernet Port so you can connect the Humminbird to the MinnKota iPilot Link. The Remote will come with the new iPilot Link so you can control from the Remote or the Hummibird Unit or Units that are networked to the iPilot Link.
    --

16. Member
    Oh so it is not "wireless" from HB unit to TM, it is cable connection? I was thinking it was a black box hooked to ethernet on HB unit that wirelessly control tm from HB unit.

The iPilot Link Remote is Wireless from the Trolling Motor just like original iPilot but the iPilot Link is connected to the Humminbird via Ethernet so it can use added SpotLocks, Tracks and the use of the Contour Features from LakeMaster are coming from the Humminbird Unit.
    --

18. Member
    Guys, I just started running an i-Pilot Link system this week, coupled to my Humminbird 1198c and Minn Kota Terrova 101.

Doug has done a great job of handling the questions so far, and has asked me to stop by to help field others as they come up. I am happy to do so.

In the coming weeks, I'll be producing articles and videos that will teach you about all of the fantastic boat control features that i-Pilot Link brings to the table. With Doug's permission, I will be posting links to those articles and videos here.

In the meantime, if you have questions, fire away! I am happy to help!

Yes, Jason please share any information, experiences, videos or images you have...

Along with others I'm very, very interested in this system myself and will probably be making the switch from Cable Steer to Electric Steer to take advantages of the iPilot Link Exclusive Features for Boat Control!

Thanks so very much for taking some of your precious time to make sure everyone is getting the correct information. I'm limited on information but nothing beats hand on experiences!
    --

20. Member
    So a cable does run from the HB unit/ethernet port to the Trolling motor.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast