Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Interesting input, Diel11. Don't both version of the spot lock use GPS? If so, I wonder why it would be different.

I've only got two days on the water with my new Terrova Link so far. Pluses and minuses compared to my strictly co-pilot driven Powerdrive 2. I sure miss my rod mounted remotes a LOT!
    John

2. Member
    Questions about Link. Neither of my current HB's support link, but planning on upgrading to a 998, since HB has finally fixed the screen brightness issue. At first, I was fired up to get the 998 pretty quickly to augment the new Terrova Link, but now am wondering if there is much of a hurry. As I understand it, the addition of the a 998 with Lakemaster maps gives me more storage for tracks and spotlocks, and countour following. And some menus on the 998 to help manage things a bit. That's it, right? If so, I'm not in any hurry, mostly because Lakemaster has no High Def lakes in my area, including Beaver or Table Rock. So I doubt the countour following stuff would be much use at all.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (hope I am!).
    John

3. Member
    After doing some testing with the new gps-hs which is the same as the gps in the link system. Before anybody gets crazy I understand the link uses it's gps not the puck attached to the unit, but both are the same. I think the issue Diel11 is because the gps speed accuracy under 1mph is off. I recorded a long gen 1 ipilot track then set cruise control at .5mph on ipilot and ran the recorded track. Consistently the gps-hs reported speed as .2mph and ipilot reported speed at .5mph. What I did was created waypoints 1minute (as close as human possibly, no more than 1 second off) apart which at .5mph should be 44 ft. The waypoints were 44ft apart, this means I was actually going .5mph like ipilot showed not the .2 gps-hs showed. Here are 2 waypoints with the screen shots.

S00113 Snapshot true N31°01.833' W083°05.917' 6.17 2013-02-15T21:51:43Z
    S00114 Snapshot true N31°01.829' W083°05.924' 6.43 2013-02-15T21:52:44Z

4. Member
    I was rooting around on the MK website to confirm the answer to my own question above (which I did), and noticed there was a link for software updates. That took me to the HB site, where I had to re-register my new TM. I had already registered it on the MK site. Anyway, once I did that, I found two updates for the Terrova Link, one for the controller (head) and one for the remote. Something about minor bug fixes. However, since I do not have an ethernet capable HB unit, I can't install the updates. I found that hard to believe, so contacted HB and MK. Both confirmed. You'd think they'd allow you to buy a cable to adapt to a USB port on a computer to do the update, but there is no facility for that. So something else to be aware of.
    John

5. Member
    Minn Kota is sending me a new module for the Link after testing mine. It seems when these guys go bad, the first thing to go is the GPS, according to the tech. Should be here anyday. I had to check the wiring and batteries before anything else as the tech also said if you have power issues, the first thing to malfunction is the gps.

I already updated mine and yes, you have to go through the head unit. And you have to do the controller in the motor first, then the remote. For what they told me if you don't you might have to send the unit in to get it to work.

6. Member
    fsa, I think you might be on to something there for sure. I also run a Lowrance HDS12 and HDS7 Gen 2 and when trolling or drifting you can really see the difference in speed between the Humminbird with the HS and the Lowrance. Usually .3-.4 difference.

Quote Originally Posted by jejb View Post
    Questions about Link. Neither of my current HB's support link, but planning on upgrading to a 998, since HB has finally fixed the screen brightness issue. At first, I was fired up to get the 998 pretty quickly to augment the new Terrova Link, but now am wondering if there is much of a hurry. As I understand it, the addition of the a 998 with Lakemaster maps gives me more storage for tracks and spotlocks, and countour following. And some menus on the 998 to help manage things a bit. That's it, right? If so, I'm not in any hurry, mostly because Lakemaster has no High Def lakes in my area, including Beaver or Table Rock. So I doubt the countour following stuff would be much use at all.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (hope I am!).
    It doesn't matter if the Lake is HD or Standard Definition the "Follow the Contour" Feature will work for both. Just like all the other LakeMaster Exclusive Features still work with Standard Definition Map Data. I used to depth highlight and range feature during the BASS Open last year to help me keep my boat positioned to crank a specific depth range - made it soooo much easier.

The other cool thing is with the iPilot Link you can see your Spot Locks and Waypoints, iTracks on the GPS Map plus you can see the direction the AutoPilot is headed over the base map. You can have any brand mapping in for all the other features only the "Follow the Contour" Feature requires LakeMaster
    --

http://www.dougvahrenberg.com/

BASS Central Open- Competitive Bass Angler and Humminbird Guru
    Visit my website to learn about my sponsor's products, fishing tips and techniques.

Learn More About Humminbird Side Imaging Visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaginggroup/

I was rooting around on the MK website to confirm the answer to my own question above (which I did), and noticed there was a link for software updates. That took me to the HB site, where I had to re-register my new TM. I had already registered it on the MK site. Anyway, once I did that, I found two updates for the Terrova Link, one for the controller (head) and one for the remote. Something about minor bug fixes. However, since I do not have an ethernet capable HB unit, I can't install the updates. I found that hard to believe, so contacted HB and MK. Both confirmed. You'd think they'd allow you to buy a cable to adapt to a USB port on a computer to do the update, but there is no facility for that. So something else to be aware of.
    This is another added feature of the iPilot Link is that HB/MK can update software for both the remote and controller for iPilto Link thru the Humminbird. iPilot was not updateable. Enhancements, New features and keeping your iPilot Link current to the latest software will be available. Just need a Humminbird Ethernet Unit to Update.
    --

Visit my website to learn about my sponsor's products, fishing tips and techniques.

Learn More About Humminbird Side Imaging Visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaginggroup/

9. Member
    Diel11, does yours also start to be exactly the same speed as other gps's at about 1 mph? Mine does.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Vahrenberg View Post
    It doesn't matter if the Lake is HD or Standard Definition the "Follow the Contour" Feature will work for both. Just like all the other LakeMaster Exclusive Features still work with Standard Definition Map Data.
    I understand. But my point is that without the high def, I'll have much less accurate contour lines, and probably less of them. Making that feature much less valuable to me on our very contour intensive lakes.
    John

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Vahrenberg View Post
    Just need a Humminbird Ethernet Unit to Update.
    Your "just" is a minimum $1000 investment, though. Would be nice to be able to buy a $30 cable and have the same ability from a computer.
    John

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fsae99 View Post
    Diel11, does yours also start to be exactly the same speed as other gps's at about 1 mph? Mine does.
    Yes sir. Once you get above 1mph it matches up.

13. Member
    Since the 0mph, when actually not moving, happens more and longer than any other gps I've used I think they just need a bit/smidgen/tad more refinement in the gps engine code.

Your "just" is a minimum $1000 investment, though. Would be nice to be able to buy a $30 cable and have the same ability from a computer.
    Actually iPilot Link works with the 788ci HD and MSRP is $699.99

Do you have a buddy that has an Ethernet COmpatible Unit? Get him to upgrade the software vis his unit.
    --

15. Member
    Yeah, that thought occured to me, too. But I'd hate to mess his unit up considering some of the horror stories I've been reading about upgrading the 998 recently. I'll have to some homework on that one. Could be, he wouldn't need to do any upgrades on his to make it work.
    John

I understand. But my point is that without the high def, I'll have much less accurate contour lines, and probably less of them. Making that feature much less valuable to me on our very contour intensive lakes.
    The Accuracy is still there just the number of contour lines is less. From my use still very very good. On some of the Deep Lakes like Beaver and Table Rock that the banks slope very fast I like less lines because they are not stacked super tight and makes it easier to navigate.
    --

17. Member
    I'd be pretty surprised if the accuracy of the maps/contour lines is the same between the standard and high def. I know that's not the case with the Navionics maps. If it was true, why bother putting out high def maps?
    John

18. Member
    I can't wait to get out on the water with this technology. The more I learn about it the clearer the impact this will have on being able to spend more time fishing as opposed to worrying about boat control. Spot lock, follow the contour, contour offset, as well as the ability to create routes or use iTracks are the features I know I will take advantage of the most. Jason's video of spot lock in high wind and waves shows this changes the game. How many of us can fish efficiently in those types of conditions when dealing with boat control manually? This is awesome stuff.

19. Member
    After several trips on the water, I returned my Terrova Link. I think it's a great system for the vast majority of folks that are used to standing on a foot pedal. However, I've been using rod mounted copilots for driving my TM's for years and I just prefer the flexibility and speed of that system. The pluses just did not outweigh the minuses *for me*, especially since I don't have an HB unit that will interface with it, either. There are some cool features I'm giving up, but I would only use them a small fraction of the time I'm out fishing, compared to using my copilots for 99.9% of driving the boat.

I'm going to add AutoPilot to my Powerdrive V2, as I did find that a handy feature on the Terrova. Not putting down the motor at all. Great product. Just not for me.
    John

20. Member
    I found a part yesterday to my Terrova that I'd forgot to put back in the box, so I ran it into Cabela's so they could stick in the box. Turns out the motor is already in their Bargain Cave. Pretty good deal on it, if anyone is looking. It is the 24v Terrova Link, 80lb, 60" shaft, in the original box, for $1371. I paid $1799, so a pretty good markdown. Everything works perfectly, I did not apply for the $80 rebate, so that should still be available, as the UPC label, and all other labels, are still on the box. This is the Cabela's in Rogers, Arkansas. I did register the motor with Minn Kota, so not sure if that impacts the warranty or not.
    John

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast