Thread: 4 Strokes

Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar

4 Strokes

Has anyone else noticed how acceptable the 4 strokes have become. When I got my first Honda 150 on the xpress, all I heard was how they where only good for a pontoon boat. No one had anything good to say about them except Ray!!!!! Everyone would dog them except some of the folks that fished with me.

Now I saw someone on the board ask about what motor to put on a new boat, it was a 150, about 95% of the replies was to go with a four stroke.

Now just need Honda to step up and make the push to get more into the BassBoat market.

With the new 250 they certainly have another product to compete.

Just had to posted on the Honda forum since there hasn't been much to talk about.

921 Pro XP

2. Member
    I am very happy with my 200 on my Triton DC196. Yes, I could probably go 3 or 4 MPH faster with a 2-stroke. But I don't care.

It starts easier, doesn't smoke in the morning, no oil to add, not as much to worry about with the ethanol in the gas ( thank you environmental pin heads, use corn for feed and food ).

If they could make them as light as 2-strokes, everyone would have them.

3. Member
    Ive run honda for 15 years now, love them. New Lund in fab will have a 150. HIckory i sent you an email. Thanks

4. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Didn't receive one. Send me a PM!

Why would anyone buy any thing else. Four strokes are actually even lighter in some hp, we get bad gas they might spit or sputter but at least they don't blow power heads.

6. Banned
    The higher horsepower four stroke motors (250-300 hp) are very heavy for the most part, and they do better on offshore fishing boats, etc.--especially in dual engine applications. I seldom see any big 4 stroke on a bass boat, as the boat has to be very long and very wide to support the weight. Bassboats are then not very easy to deal with.

Tritoon boats are big users of 4 stroke motors, but even they have to have high performance (heavier and larger) pontoons to handle big 4 stroke motors. They're pretty touchy to having too much weight on the back end--or the front end. In addition to the much, much more expensive motor, high performance toons, power steering assist and hydraulic steering can push the price out of sight--for 4-5 mph more than 150 hp.

My tritoon has a F150 Yamaha, and it does a great job for a fair price.

7. Member
    I have a 2003 255hp 4stroke Honda and I love this motor. It's on a TR-21 bass boat. although it's been a ruff and expensive 11 months maybe I'll be back on the water before long.I was idleing in after a tourney and hit a rock or something that stopped the engine cold turkey. I raised the engine and saw a ding in my prop and lowered the engine and it fired right up no problem no viberation. the next time I carried it out to Pickwick she come ungluded I broke a rod and punched a hole in the block. after a couple of months arguring with insurance and adjusters they covered it. almost 11,000.00 dollars later I put 12 hours on her and developed a seal leaking in my power trim so had it fixed then the hydraulic sterring started to leak soo I had it rebuilt. then decided to bust it off here at the house before reloading it and going to the water. NADA NOTHING it will turn over but will not even cough. So after checking it out a new wiring harness and ECU is on the way from Honda. Evenwith all this going on let me remind you this is a 2003 never been gone into in 13+ years. when I was on 3rd shift I fished 4 to 5 days per week year round which was 4 years and usually2 of those were local night tourneys and almost every Saturday was tourney day ABA, Top Rod, BFL,BWS,. Since then I mange to fish at least 2 tourneys a week during the summer + a couple of days per week fun fishing. If she'll last another 13+ years with the punishing long runs and Tourneys I put on her it'll be worth it.