Question 150 OX66 Trim Tilt Rebuild

Working on rebuilding my Trim/Tilt assembly for a 2000 150 OX66 VMax. The backup ring and o-ring failed on one of the trim rams. Symptom was the motor would not stay in the up position and would come down slowly as soon as I quit trimming up. No visible exterior leaks and had plenty of fluid.

I'm have difficulty getting the center cap off the tilt ram using a spanner wrench. Tried cutting the paint around the edge between the cap and case. Also carefully applied some heat to the case thinking there was thread lock on it. The trim rams came off surprisingly easy.

Am I'm missing something here? Any tips?

Thanks!
    Guy

2. Member
    I've given up getting the center cap off the tilt cylinder. It will not budge short off destroying the cap which I've learned the cap is a non-serviceable part when it comes to the seal and dust shield. The tilt shaft assembly must be replaced to the tune of about $300 (yikes!). Since I had it apart, I figured I would replace all of the seals.

Mine seems fine when I move it up and down blowing/sucking air both ways out the trim cylinders. Waiting for parts to reassemble the trim rams and hope for the best.

Hopefully this info will help somebody as I scoured the net for similar issues.

Regards!
    Guy