Are the splines on a UFP/Dexter axle removable?

My splines have some flat spots and that may be causing the inability to keep the end unit tight on the axle. Will I need a whole new axle? Thanks 28BEFE86-AB8D-436B-B22A-37BF633ADCB3.jpeg
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

I think that the spline is vulcanized into the axle and not replaceable.... But I'm not 100% sure... I don't understand how that happened to your splines.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Need a little more info on this. If you have torsion axle the spindle assembly is replaceable. The splines ae machined, not vulcanized. Need to check if the bolts on Spindle assembly are tight. They need to be grade #8.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

Hmmmm? I had my UFP torsion axle fail. And mine was vulcanized and not replaceable. So I had to replace the whole axle. I'm speaking on first hand experience.... Unless they changed their design since mine was built.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    Need a little more info on this. If you have torsion axle the spindle assembly is replaceable. The splines ae machined, not vulcanized. Need to check if the bolts on Spindle assembly are tight. They need to be grade #8.
    The bolts are grade 8 and have been tightened more than enough every time I assure you. Double wrenched leverage. I even double nutted and applied loctite. It may not be the damaged splines causing this but I don’t know. There are 4 small screws holding a plate that covers where the splined end attaches to the axle. So it had me wondering if just the splines were replaceable. I will say in my searches I haven’t found anything on them being replaceable. So I wanted to ask.
    If it isn’t the splines causing the play what else could it be? Because I just have in my mind those few bad spots on the splines can’t be the problem. Thanks
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

6. Member
    New axle should fix your issue.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Hmmmm? I had my UFP torsion axle fail. And mine was vulcanized and not replaceable. So I had to replace the whole axle. I'm speaking on first hand experience.... Unless they changed their design since mine was built.
    The torsion axle is cushioned inside the axle tube by rubber for radial rotation. The machined end of the axle is splined steel. OP inquired about splines.

3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

The torsion axle is cushioned inside the axle tube by rubber for radial rotation. The machined end of the axle is splined steel. OP inquired about splines.
    I'm confused.
    Are you saying the splines can be replaced without replacing the axle ?

9. Member
    So there is a good chance the rubber may be worn on the inside? Got bounced around like a volleyball by Dexter. Still haven’t been told they have or can make the axle I have. The local Dexter distributor I have called twice this week and she is supposedly still working on it. I may just have to order from Bass Cat but they say 12-14 weeks.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

The splines are not replaceable, they are machined on the end of the axle. They are not vulcanized, they are machined steel. Looking at picture of axle spline from OP, the splines are damaged. They cannot be repaired however they aren't damaged to the extent they can be put back in service. A new spindle arm can be installed on that splined axle shaft, torque the grade 8 bolts down to spec and go fishing.
    Last edited by electritek; 07-21-2022 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Judson1 View Post
    So there is a good chance the rubber may be worn on the inside? Got bounced around like a volleyball by Dexter. Still haven’t been told they have or can make the axle I have. The local Dexter distributor I have called twice this week and she is supposedly still working
    on it. I may just have to order from Bass Cat but they say 12-14 weeks.
    I have no idea about the life span of the rubber.. Might try asking BCB-- he is on here frequently.
    I would be tempted to clean some of those splines up with a file. Get a new bolt and torque it. I know several trailers including Ranger Trail has had issues with the spindle arm coming loose.

12. Member
    Mentioned it earlier,, axle replacement needed.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    I have no idea about the life span of the rubber.. Might try asking BCB-- he is on here frequently.
    I would be tempted to clean some of those splines up with a file. Get a new bolt and torque it. I know several trailers including Ranger Trail has had issues with the spindle arm coming loose.
    Spot on. They originally took that assembly to market with grade 5 bolts and they stretched. They stretched and allowed spindle arm and spline damage as depicted in OP post. The new standard is grade 8 bolts. Looks like OP axle and splines could be put back in service.

14. Member
    Yeah, missing spline pieces shouldn't cause issues but how they came about to be missing piques my interest. All I can think is the axle wasn't tight and road impacts snapped some splines off. I'm a tad concerned that now, the interface is worn and re using the old axle may exacerbate the issue to the point of failure. Being the tightwad that I am I'd probably put it back together and see if there is ANY play between the splines, try it out and see what happens.
    I'd also find out the availability to purchase a complete axle assembly.

15. Member
    A bead of low hydrogen should fix that! CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

16. Member
    After filing a bit in those splines and trying a new arm didnt fix. Yea you could weld(low hydrogen(7018) ) at this point you either replace the axle or weld.
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor