Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator

Oil Bath Hubs FAQ

TROUBLESHOOTING GOLD OIL FILLED HUBS

Color
    It is recommended that you change the oil in the GOLD system after 20,000 miles or every 2 years unless oil becomes a milky color. If no leak is observed, then replace oil in system.

Fill Level
    Check the oil level in the hub through the inspection window in the front of the protector. The window should indicate that the hub is completely full of oil with no more than a dime-sized air bubble. If the oil level is low, determine source of leak and repair.
    Note: If Necessary, Gold oil filled hubs can run with as little as ¼ the normal oil level and still provide adequate lubrication to the bearings. However, partially filled hubs may suck in water if submerged.

Leakage
    A very slight amount of oil seepage at the rear seal is normal and necessary to lubricate the wiper lip of the seal for long life and sealing contaminants out. Excessive oil leakage, more than a few drops, will require the hub to be removed and the oil seal to be replaced.

REPLACING SEALS

The hub or rotor must be removed from the axle and the seal forced out. It is impossible to remove the seal without damaging it. Therefore, when you remove the seal, plan on replacing it. Because seals are a high quality design not widely available, you will need to obtain a replacement from the dealer, a bearing supply company, the trailer manufacturer or Unique Functional Products. Seals installed at the factory may have a hypalon (blue teflon-like) coating on the outside diameter. If your replacement seals do not have a hypalon coating then apply a thin film of Permatex #81160 (Red) High-Temp RTV Silicone Gasket Maker on the seal outside diameter, and hub bore in order to seal it prior to installation. Flat Rate for seal replacement is .7 hrs per brake hub and .5 hrs per non-brake hub at posted Dealer shop labor rate.

SEAL CONVERSION INFORMATION

Seal Description Trailer Buddy # NOK # CR # National #

198-138-SP1-1 07206 AB1990EO 13557 482163N
    233-168-SP2-1 07027 AD2527EO 16657 473317
    256-168-SP2-1 07028 AD2528EO N/A N/A
    326-213-SP2-1 07029 AD7131EO N/A N/A
    338-213-SP2-1 07040 AD8717EO 21352 N/A

TIEDOWN BRAKES (Oil and Grease)
    http://www.tiedown.com/pdf/c752.pdf

TIEDOWN OIL BATH
    http://www.tiedown.com/pdf/c753.pdf

TIEDOWN GREASE HUBS
    http://www.tiedown.com/pdf/c718.pdf

UFP OIL BATHS
    http://ufpnet.com/Portals/0/PDFs/Trailer%...e.pdf

UFP GREASE HUBS
    http://ufpnet.com/Portals/0/PDFs/Trailer%...e.pdf

UFP BRAKES (Oil and Grease)
    http://ufpnet.com/Portals/0/PDFs/DB35Maint.PDF

There are more PDF files at http://ufpnet.com.

GREASE COMPATIBILITY CHART

http://www.finalube.com/refere...t.htm
    Last edited by Rude520; 07-15-2012 at 11:14 AM.

2. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    The site glass you see , is a piston, sealed with 2 orings inside. The brake hub/rotor runs about 180 degrees under normal running and braking. If the hub gets hotter than this, the oil inside expands and the piston will protrude until the hub cools down, then it should go back down. When the hub gets to 250 degrees, the 2 orings will flatten out and cause the oil to bleed by the orings and leak out on the outside of the wheels. If this is the case, you need to install new protectors. If the hub gets to 300 degrees,the lips on the oil seal in the back of the hub will deform and oil will leak out behind the wheel. The discolored oil in the site glass tells me the hub may have lost some oil and when the warm hub is put into the cool water, it creates a vacum and sucks water into the hub, causing the discolored oil. Always let your hubs cool down before you launch....if you cannot put your hand on the hub, dont launch unitl its cooled down..Steve, you may want to post this as I see this all the time,

Am making a long haul all the way up to Lake St Clare, Michigan and back this June. Took my rig into my dealer for annual maintenance and asked them to service the trailer also. Asked the service manager about the oil-bath hubs and he said they are maintenance free and do not need servicing (2011 Triton Master Marine trailer). Are these posts from 2004 just outdated and do not apply to the latest model oil-bath hubs?

Rollie, you most likely have the Vault Hub system, which is a hybrid oil / grease fluid. See link for Vault manual..

http://www.ufpnet.com/Portals/0/PDFs...aintenance.pdf

I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.

5. Member
    I really miss having oil hubs...Mine leaked like the exxon valdize into the water and I felt so bad that I had to stop fishing until I had then transferred over to grease...EZ trailer had sent me all kinds of replacement (I had to pay for them) but never attempted to switch back.

2005 Legend LE-21
    2015 Mercury PRO XS 250
    Hummingbird 1198 SI 998 SI
    Helix 12 DI/GPS Chirp
    Hummingbird 360
    MinnKota 112
    Hydrowave
    MinnKota Talon

6. Member
    2004 Stratos 201 pro xl The rear seal is bad on oil bath hub. What's the best way to remove the rotor/hub?

7. Member
    What size allen / hex wrench is used to remove the fill / drain plug on Buddy Gold Oil bath Hubs?

I have a EZ Loader Custom Trailer with a Legend Boat. I want to change out the oil on my 2008 model trailer.

Need to know the allen wrench size?

8. Member
    Hello 520,
    On my cool hub trailer, the barrel has backed completely out of the hub once. What would cause this?
    Thanks for details in your post, it explains much.
    Jim

9. Member
    How do I know the Cool Hub on my '04 Ranger trailer is full with new hub oil? Just drained old and put in new. When I look at the front of the cool hub, the oil is about 3/4 the way up the sight glass. Does that mean its 3/4 full or is it full? Took quite awhile to fill. Could not put anymore in, even after waiting several minutes, several times. Checked later and both sides are almost full by viewing the sight glass, so left it at that.
    Last edited by NHbassfisherman; 07-30-2017 at 03:59 PM.

10. Member
    My hubs have an oil fill line on the sight glass.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

I didn't see anything above that addressed the SS wear rings that are on the UFP spindles where the inner seal rides. This must be addressed when replacing the seals or you will continue to have problems.

Wear ring with 2 grooves from the double lip seal:

Here is one that I removed:

Here is a new one installed:

I pulled all of my hubs, replaced the SS wear rings, replaced the seals, replaced bearings/races as needed, greased the bearings, filled the hubs with grease and installed UFP Trailer Buddy bearing protectors. No more leaking oil bath hubs for me!

After completing the job, including 2 hubs with disc brakes, I learned a whole lot about my trailer. Thanks to Dennis from UFP (Dabs) and other info from this forum. Also helps to have a bunch of tools in the garage.
    Last edited by Bob G.; 07-31-2017 at 06:16 AM.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

12. Member
    What is the part number for the race on the axel itself? I also have wear rings on mine.? Thanks.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    I didn't see anything above that addressed the SS wear rings that are on the UFP spindles where the inner seal rides. This must be addressed when replacing the seals or you will continue to have problems.

Wear ring with 2 grooves from the double lip seal:

Here is one that I removed:

Here is a new one installed:

I pulled all of my hubs, replaced the SS wear rings, replaced the seals, replaced bearings/races as needed, greased the bearings, filled the hubs with grease and installed UFP Trailer Buddy bearing protectors. No more leaking oil bath hubs for me!

After completing the job, including 2 hubs with disc brakes, I learned a whole lot about my trailer. Thanks to Dennis from UFP (Dabs) and other info from this forum. Also helps to have a bunch of tools in the garage.
    curious also for the part number on the wear sleeves?

Quote Originally Posted by LA Hawg Caller View Post
    What size allen / hex wrench is used to remove the fill / drain plug on Buddy Gold Oil bath Hubs?

I have a EZ Loader Custom Trailer with a Legend Boat. I want to change out the oil on my 2008 model trailer.

Need to know the allen wrench size?
    mine is a 3/16 allen screw

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude520 View Post
    The site glass you see , is a piston, sealed with 2 orings inside. The brake hub/rotor runs about 180 degrees under normal running and braking. If the hub gets hotter than this, the oil inside expands and the piston will protrude until the hub cools down, then it should go back down. When the hub gets to 250 degrees, the 2 orings will flatten out and cause the oil to bleed by the orings and leak out on the outside of the wheels. If this is the case, you need to install new protectors. If the hub gets to 300 degrees,the lips on the oil seal in the back of the hub will deform and oil will leak out behind the wheel. The discolored oil in the site glass tells me the hub may have lost some oil and when the warm hub is put into the cool water, it creates a vacum and sucks water into the hub, causing the discolored oil. Always let your hubs cool down before you launch....if you cannot put your hand on the hub, dont launch unitl its cooled down..Steve, you may want to post this as I see this all the time,
    would this apply to Ranger Trail trailers in2003 ?

When replacing the rear seal only apply red silicone to the OD of the seal and install. Never, Never apply red silicone to the bore of the hub. If you apply red silicone to the bore of the hub, when you install the seal the excess pushes into the bearing cavity.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

17. Member
    Have a 2001 stratos trailer, single axel. Right side has grease on inside of wheel. Replaceed seal 2015. I assume seal is leaking again? Kept specs last time replaceed: OD 2.328 ID 1.773. Paper work says Ranger seal 233-168-SP2. Left side is fine. Why is right leaking again? What is the best seal to use? Do I have a protective ss sleeve that I should replace. Have not torn apart yet. Would you replace bearings if they look good?

Suggestions and answers appreciated.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by freedom View Post
    Have a 2001 stratos trailer, single axel. Right side has grease on inside of wheel. Replaceed seal 2015. I assume seal is leaking again? Kept specs last time replaceed: OD 2.328 ID 1.773. Paper work says Ranger seal 233-168-SP2. Left side is fine. Why is right leaking again? What is the best seal to use? Do I have a protective ss sleeve that I should replace. Have not torn apart yet. Would you replace bearings if they look good?

Suggestions and answers appreciated.
    6 years is a good run on a seal if you trailer much. I would do a full maintenance on both sides and not wait for the left side to leak. Sleeves, bearings and seals are not that expensive considering the consequences of failure on the road.
    I like Big Bass, I cannot lie

19. Member

Trailer hub wear sleeve

Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    I didn't see anything above that addressed the SS wear rings that are on the UFP spindles where the inner seal rides. This must be addressed when replacing the seals or you will continue to have problems.Wear ring with 2 grooves from the double lip seal:Here is one that I removed:Here is a new one installed:I pulled all of my hubs, replaced the SS wear rings, replaced the seals, replaced bearings/races as needed, greased the bearings, filled the hubs with grease and installed UFP Trailer Buddy bearing protectors. No more leaking oil bath hubs for me! After completing the job, including 2 hubs with disc brakes, I learned a whole lot about my trailer. Thanks to Dennis from UFP (Dabs) and other info from this forum. Also helps to have a bunch of tools in the garage.
    How did you remove the old wear sleeve? And what tool did you use to install the new one?