Thread: Oil bath

Oil bath

Good morning all. I have 2006 Triton Marine Master trailer. I bought it new and I have never changed the bearings, just the oil. Am I asking for trouble or should I not worry about until I get a sign of trouble?

I have a 2006 Triton with a Marine Master trailer that came with oil bath hubs. I wasn’t so fortunate and they started leaking. I converted them to grease one at a time. Only need to remove the hub, grease the bearings, replace the wear ring and bearing protector.

I have a hard time believing that your wear rings have never had 2 grooves worn in them from the double lip seals. Consider yourself lucky.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

3. Member
    I have never touched the bearings. I change the oil yearly and that’s it. I have no wheel slop at all. Now I probably don’t travel that far as most of you. I’m in southern Indiana and the farthest I have taken it is the crappie lakes of Mississippi. I am concerned about the bearings being in there that long but they don’t leak and no wheel slop. Should I change them or leave them alone? 🤷🏻*♂️

4. Member
    bearing likely fine had my single axle stratos for 20 yrs and only did seal a few times never replaced bearings ever and guy who bought it is a friend and has had no issues either for 2 more yrs. no leaks and fresh oil is all they need remember back them bearings were mostly USA made now all chinese, likely
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    bearing likely fine had my single axle stratos for 20 yrs and only did seal a few times never replaced bearings ever and guy who bought it is a friend and has had no issues either for 2 more yrs. no leaks and fresh oil is all they need remember back them bearings were mostly USA made now all chinese, likely
    I figured 18 years might be pushing it. ��

6. Member
    I have a 2006 Champion. Have never changed bearings on mine either. I just top off the oil bath hubs if they need it.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

7. Member
    Your bearings will go bad if the axle is overloaded, if the oil leaks out, and/or you get water intrusion. Otherwise, they’ll probably outlast you.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shall36 View Post
    Your bearings will go bad if the axle is overloaded, if the oil leaks out, and/or you get water intrusion. Otherwise, they’ll probably outlast you.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

If you need information or parts on your trailer, call Adam, a sponsor on here with a dicount code.
    You wont be disappointed.

Rick!
    2013 Ranger Z520c Mercury 250 Pro XS
    1990 Ranger 361V 1991 Johnson 150 Fast Strike J150GLEIS

10. Member
    Just keep an eye on them. My 2008 mm trailer w/ oil bath hubs had zero issues (no leaks, original seals, wear rings, bearings & races) until 2016. All I did was change oil yearly. In 2016 I felt the bearing cover pistons were sluggish so I replaced the bearing covers & rebuilt the okd ones w/ new o-rings as spares. In 2021 I found 2 cracked rotors & replaced all 4 hubs, wear rings, seals, bearings, races, hardware & bearing covers….and new pads.

Personally, I love my oil bath hubs….I just monitor them closely & carry a complete idler hub kit, grease & trailer buddy bearing cover for emergencies.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

11. Member
    I have a 1998 trailer with oil baths. I have original bearings in 3 of the 4 hubs. The ones hub I changed didn’t need new but I was having trouble with that one cap coming loose and thought a new bearing set would cure that. Likely all it needed was adjustment. With the oil baths the bearings have very little wear.

12. Member
    I never had a problem with my 2005. But with the years and miles I decided to change out the bearings and seals recently as a preventative step. Everything looked great inside when I disassembled it. If the seals aren’t leaking I’d think you are fine. But keep a close eye on them. Time generally isn't nice to anything.