Question Near-miss Towing Incident

I am posting this question here and under the Ranger Boat forum to increase the views. Over the weekend I took my 2000 Ranger 518 and Ranger Trail trailer out of the garage for the first fishing trip of the year. Hooked up the trailer as usual including putting a trailer-lock on after closing the coupling. Halfway to the lake I hit a pretty big dip in the road and the next thing I know the trailer has jumped off the ball of the hitch. Fortunately the safety chains and the emergency trailer brake wire kept this from being a disaster. My question, why did that happen? I would think (since I've had the boat and trailer for 15 years and this is a first) that the padlock through the pin hole of the trailer coupling would have prevented this from happening. Is there some adjustment I can make to the receiver that will prevent this from happening again? Needless to say I am a little spooked by this near-miss.

I have a feeling that the "fork" that goes under the ball before the latch pulls down was not under the ball. I did this once in the 80's. No way that the fork could pass the ball. Make sure that the nut under the fork is still there and w.o any play.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    I have a feeling that the "fork" that goes under the ball before the latch pulls down was not under the ball. I did this once in the 80's. No way that the fork could pass the ball. Make sure that the nut under the fork is still there and w.o any play.
    This has almost happened to me. It’s dark and i’m in a hurry. I took a second look and it was an OH, crap moment. I have a eldery friend who has done that twice. He thought he had a coupler problem. It turned out to be user error.

4. Member
    Happened to me after hooking up in the dark. Luckily it came off when I was going around 3 mph on my driveway.

5. Member
    Dime to a donut you were not fully seated on the hitch ball. Basically, sitting on top of the ball, closed the coupling, locked it and hooked up the chains. Tongue will settle in about 1/2 down on the ball.

6. Member
    Depending on the coupler style, some have a nut underneath to adjust tension on the ball.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The5thDutton View Post
    Depending on the coupler style, some have a nut underneath to adjust tension on the ball.

8. Member
    I fear this. Most often when towing long distance I get about 200 yards from home, stop and try lifting the trailer off the ball. I migth not be strong enough to really test it well but it is always on my mind
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

9. Member
    This is always a fear in the back of my mind!
    2005 Triton TR-186
    2024 Mercury Pro XS 150

10. Member
    I fear this. Most often when towing long distance I get about 200 yards from home, stop and try lifting the trailer off the ball. I migth not be strong enough to really test it well but it is always on my mind
    After you drop the trailer on the ball, leave the jack down until you have the hitch latched and locked/or pin in.

Then try to jack the trailer up.

The jack will raise the trailer and try to lift the tow vehicle.

This will check for a solid trailer ball/hitch connection.

Stow trailer jack and no worries on the road.

Good Luck

11. Member
    And YES there is a adjustment under there.

I do what Mike F has recommended since I had it happen to me once way back in the 70's and the safety chain prevented a accident.

Get on your knees, then on your back and look at what's under there and how it works. Using a flashlight will help a LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Happened to me too !! Hit the throttle a good lick as I was pulling away, heard a "CLUNK", looked in the rear view mirror just in time to see the trailer hit the end of the chains and "Sling Shot" into the tailgate !!! I learned a BIG LESSON that day !!!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

13. Member
    happened to me ONE time years ago. made a promise to myself to always get down on my knees and literally look at the "fork" to make sure all is correct. if too dark just use a flashlight. that's my system now
    2021 Ranger 620FS
    2021 Merc 250 Pro XS; s/n 3B057438
    MK Ulterra 112

14. Member
    Bought a new Ranger in 05. Every time I got to ramp. Latch on hitch had popped up. Ranger replaced it.

15. Member
    I actually towed to the lake once without the hitch latched& noticed when walking past to get the boat ready to launch. It won't happen again.