Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flatsboy View Post
    The Michelin Defender LTX M/S does look below.

235/75R15
    109T XL
    800 A A 2,271 lbs. 50 psi 12/32" 34 lbs. 6-8" 6.5" 9.3" 28.8" 721

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....OWLXL&i1_Qty=1
    Almost a 29 inch diameter. Won't fit on a boat trailer because it eats up the clearance to the fender and the space between tires on a tandem. It also makes you back in about a foot further to launch or load because of the extra height, which gets rid of all the clearance to stay dry on many rigs.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flatsboy View Post
    If I was building a new trailer and went with a single axle trailer. I would go with a LT tire like these. They have the speed rating and load rating plus they will outlast any trailer tire and give you a great ride.
    By far the best tires I've ever used on my truck and there is no reason it wouldn't be great for trailers. I'm so over trailer tires there all crap!
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Defender+LTX +M%2FS&sidewall=Outlined%20White%20Letters&partnum =375TR5DLTXOWLXL&tab=Specs

Well if you read my original post and I'll quote myself! I would only do this tire on a single axle trailer and the clearance wouldn't be a issue since the fender height would be compensated for on assembly.
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

3. Member
    I will update our experience as Isaac's (aikenyounggun) tournament season progresses. We just replaced all 4 215/75/14 Duro brand tires that we ran over 50K miles the past 3 years with Carlisle trailer radial tires. Tread was finally starting to seperate on one of them the one that always was losing air - more on this later). I've run Goodyears, Maxxis, Carlisle, Duro on tandem axle trailer for 20+ years. They have all changed over the years, place of manufacture, construction techniques....

Isaac and I will easily put 20,000 miles on these tires this year. What we've learned through the years...

1. AIR PRESSURE, AIR PRESSURE, AIR PRESSURE. Run them soft and you will destroy them. Also run them all at the same pressures so that there isn't any uneven loading.

2. When they are mounted - BALANCE them, if you don't you will shake your accessories loose on the boat (assuming you tow long distances).

3. On tandem axle trailer tow with the trailer level, any pitch up or down will lead to unusual wear.

4. If you get a flat, have the tire dismounted and patched, don't plug a radial tire....unless you enjoy changing tires because that tire will fail where the plug was used most of the time.

5. Rotate them every 10,000 miles or so...we just move them front to back.

I'm not pushing one brand over another as I think taking care of any of them will lead to better satisfaction.

Peace,
    Don<><

4. Member
    Agree w/ Truck tire analysis.
    Like the fact that the tire weighs 34 lbs.

Anyone have experience with the Taskmaster ST215/75/75R14 tires. Looking for a load range D tire for a single axle trailer. Many recommend Kuhmo on BBC but other websites have mixed reviews about delamination ? Thanks!

2010 Ranger Z518
    2010 200 Optimax Pro XS
    BBC MS Bass Club

6. Member
    Guys I appreciate all the good advice; however, I can't find a tire dealer who sells a D load 215 75 14 in a kumho, goodyear, or maxxis. If you have a link or a phone number of a company who will ship the tires, I would appreciate it.

Tire rack, Kuhmo 205R14 will replace 215 75 14. $128 each, will ship to your door the next day.

2010 Ranger Z518
    2010 200 Optimax Pro XS
    BBC MS Bass Club

8. Member
    I appreciate it. Will order today.

I went to Discount Tire and they can order these tires from the chart ( Hankook RA08 195R14 ) , just a heads up to let you guys know were you can get em. Cost is $104 per tire I ordered 5 new spare also .

10. Member
    Mike,
    My Triton 18XS has a hull weight of 1690lbs and the 150 Mercury Pro XS weighs 431lbs. I haven't added the battery's or trailer weight yet and the tires they put of my single axle trailer from the factory (Carlisle ST215/75R14) are rated for 1870lbs. Do I subtract the tongue weight. Also; I looked at the max tire pressure on the trailer tire and it is 50lbs. I also noticed that the tire pressure listed on my truck tire was 42 but the number the service station uses is the one on the inside truck door sticker (35lbs.). Do I still inflate the trailer tire to 50lbs or is there some mathematical equation I should know about for the correct inflation pounds.

Yes, You can deduct the tongue weight if you like. But you should also have at least a 20% cushion between tire rating and your trailered weight. Always fill trailer tires to max inflation as they run cooler, and this is one of the biggest reasons for tire failure. Tandem trailers share weight among 4 tires and this become a little less important, But still suggested. Single axle it is a must.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

I'm sure you can find my preaching on this subject on a number of similar threads so I won't go into details. This is the very reason I decided to go to 15" wheels and load range D tires. It takes that 1800# rating up to over 2200# and you can run with 65psi and a top speed rating of 99 mph.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Yes, You can deduct the tongue weight if you like. But you should also have at least a 20% cushion between tire rating and your trailered weight. Always fill trailer tires to max inflation as they run cooler, and this is one of the biggest reasons for tire failure. Tandem trailers share weight among 4 tires and this become a little less important, But still suggested. Single axle it is a must.
    Thanks Mike,

Boat has been in the garage since October and I lost 7 pounds from the rated 50 pound max. I have to trailer it today to have a power pole installed so I'll get the tire pressure back to 50lbs. .

14. Member
    Thanks to all for the information posted here. I swapped out my Carlisle 215/75r14 tires for the 205 Kumho 857s.
    Pete | 2011 Ranger Z118 | Yamaha HPDI 150

15. Member
    What tires would you replace marathon 205 14 with, I have a pretty heavy rig skeeter 21i fully loaded with 4 group 31 agm batteries (heavy). The fiberglass fenders are pretty tight tolerance on the outside edge, I see that they are on your chart as 26.1 others have them as 26.3/26.4, thanks

16. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by k3fishing View Post
    What tires would you replace marathon 205 14 with, I have a pretty heavy rig skeeter 21i fully loaded with 4 group 31 agm batteries (heavy). The fiberglass fenders are pretty tight tolerance on the outside edge, I see that they are on your chart as 26.1 others have them as 26.3/26.4, thanks
    Tandem axle or single?
    nothing else matters.​

17. Member
    Tandem

18. Member
    I would always like to be over than under on the weight rating on a tire.

19. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by k3fishing View Post
    Tandem
    My two cents is that it doesn't matter as much about the numbers with a tandem. Go for warranty and support. A local tire shop that will help you out if there is a problem is most important. Goodyear makes decent tires. Most of the problems are from overloading and air leaks that you don't notice on a trailer. Carlisle is a good choice. Maxxis is a good choice.
    nothing else matters.​

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ203 View Post
    I will update our experience as Isaac's (aikenyounggun) tournament season progresses. We just replaced all 4 215/75/14 Duro brand tires that we ran over 50K miles the past 3 years with Carlisle trailer radial tires. Tread was finally starting to seperate on one of them the one that always was losing air - more on this later). I've run Goodyears, Maxxis, Carlisle, Duro on tandem axle trailer for 20+ years. They have all changed over the years, place of manufacture, construction techniques....

Isaac and I will easily put 20,000 miles on these tires this year. What we've learned through the years...

1. AIR PRESSURE, AIR PRESSURE, AIR PRESSURE. Run them soft and you will destroy them. Also run them all at the same pressures so that there isn't any uneven loading.

2. When they are mounted - BALANCE them, if you don't you will shake your accessories loose on the boat (assuming you tow long distances).

3. On tandem axle trailer tow with the trailer level, any pitch up or down will lead to unusual wear.

4. If you get a flat, have the tire dismounted and patched, don't plug a radial tire....unless you enjoy changing tires because that tire will fail where the plug was used most of the time.

5. Rotate them every 10,000 miles or so...we just move them front to back.

I'm not pushing one brand over another as I think taking care of any of them will lead to better satisfaction.

Peace,
    Don<><
    Update...

15,000 plus miles since December - zero issues.

Peace,
    Don<><

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast