1996 procraft trailer

always have water in the wheel bearings do i need to put bearing buddies on the trailer all this trailer has is just grease zerks i guess greasing these bearing is not pushing the h2o out.any one else having this problem? looked in trailer section but all i found was shit about tires so shut up and fish all tire are made in china

2. Upper Chesapeake Bay Club Moderator RiverRatMD's Avatar
    Hey racer. I have a '92 Procraft & trailer. I've re-built the damn trailer 3 times (tidal Potomac & Chesapeake). I have bolt on hubs and i keep them greased, but only hit them until the plunger just starts to move. I see a lot of people grease those things until the plunger runs all the way out to the end and that's wrong. That will actually allow water intrusion. I have NO trailer brakes on my trailer. I've replaced my Hubs twice in 17 years.

Senerio #2: My buddy has a 96 procraft and he has trailer brakes and he has a spindle design with inner and outer bearings and seals. He HAS to run bearing buddies to keep them greased well. And when a seal goes bad, water will easily get in those types. Best to break them down on occasion and service the bearings (repack & new seals)

Not sure which you had...If you've got my style, new hubs are a breeze and will keep you going for awhile. Hope it helped some.
    Gambler 2200 / PRoCraft 180 / Roughneck Jet / Mercury 250XB, 175 / Evinrude 50

I have had this problem also .1996 procraft trailer ,and other trailers I have owned .Learned this from trailer manufacture. The way I solved it was to measure the spindle and found that the grease seal is a ez loader size or ufp size of 1.68 ID 2.33 OD Double lip stainless spring .
    UFP 1.68" ID Grease Seal #32372
    Than I removed the grease fitting and installed solid dust caps with a small bead of silicon around them . Problem solved !!!! 2 years no water trailer in water 4 times a week min . The caps with rubber plugs a leaking joke greaseable axles where a sales tool to think your doing some thing bearing buddy another invention to get your money .Add more grease than required and blow out seal get on brakes or add to all ready contaminated with water grease . Look at older cars and trucks with front hubs with serviceable bearings . did you grease them with bearing buddys ? no and they went 20-30k with out service and were fine .The best way if you have the money is to change then to oil filled hubs with cear caps . But since I didn't have the dough this was the fix the manufacture gave me and it works. Oh ya auto parts store single lip seals don't hold. I found that out after a set of bearings. Buy trailer double lip stainless spring seals .
    Last edited by Chickfisher69; 07-14-2012 at 08:50 PM.

4. Member
    thanks for all the info on the trailer very helpful and thanks for the link for the seal i will have to get a seal get that installed

5. Member
    Chickfisher69 I can’t thank you enough for the info and link for the seal. I have a 1996 procraft trailer and that UFP seal is the identical match to the stock seal that came with the trailer.

6. Member
    I have a 96 procraft
    pro 185 trailer sold as 97 with t. Brakes and bearing buddies.The rig has been in the water a thousand times and never had any problem. All is original equipment. the double lip is a good suggestion. If you travel a ways to the water and heat builds up in the housings it could be that maybe the heat is pulling water in the sealed unit. Use standard wheel bearing grease, a higher pressure or temp. Will cause heat and wear problems. Also the amount of grease in the unit is only to be 1/3rd the amount of air space of the housing.I know people that will wait 30 minutes before putting in.i don't. Even though the seal has sealant on the housing I will use sealant.