Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Compression test should be used for checking the balance/variance between all holes, leakdown for health of each hole.
    Gary

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.......

S.W. Ohio

2. Member
    Good info! If I was to use a remote starter where would I hook the two wires to on a 3 Litre?

Quote Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
    Good info! If I was to use a remote starter where would I hook the two wires to on a 3 Litre?
    Depending on model/year, starter solenoid at the 9 o'clock & 12 o'clock posts.
    Gary

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.......

S.W. Ohio

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
    Auburn... spent many, many days there.

On the starter solenoid, there is a SMALL yellow w/red stripe wire. This is the activation wire for the solenoid (12+ power is applied to this terminal to activate the starter).

Depending on the engine, there MAY be a larger yellow w/red stripe wire (this is not the appropriate wire to use).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Banned
    didnt see it here, but when a compression test is performed, if plugs are left in (wires removed), and the test is run just removing one plug at a time, would the numbers be higher or lower than if all the plugs are removed at the time of test?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Almost ALWAYS the readings would be lower.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Banned
    Well that's good to know. When we did mine, we just pulled one at a time and I was at 120 or so on each cylinder.

8. Member
    Another question: I have an 84 Mercury 90 HP Inline 6, serial #6436389. Should the fuel line be plugged into the engine (being as it is a 2 stroke w/o oil injection)? Also, please clue me in as to how to properly ground the plug wires.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Fuel line should be unplugged on that model.

Plug wires can be attached to an ENCLOSED spark tester, OR jumpered with jumper wires (to GROUND).

10. Member
    Now thats a lot of good imformation, I was a little nervouse mine was down to 94 to 97 but I was doing it wrong! Thanks Guys!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by R491V View Post
    Now thats a lot of good imformation, I was a little nervouse mine was down to 94 to 97 but I was doing it wrong! Thanks Guys!
    Let us know how much different the reading is.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richdwn View Post
    How much pressure per cylinder on a 250 merc?
    Sir please start a separate thread according to these rules>>>>>http://www.bbcboards.net/announcement.php?f=7

Merry Christmas

13. Member
    Thanks!!

14. Member
    THANK YOU !!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12