89 suki dt 150 control swap?

just wondering if anyone can help me out. my motor was on a tidecraft at one point with the original control box.(rotten transom). i bought a 95 cajun without a motor.it had the same motor on it that mine did so the dealer left the suki controls in the boat.i was hoping that i could just plug n play. all of the connectors are the same.well.. i hooked everything up trim tilt works fine i have ignition control and the motor is firing. ok here's my problem. the original control box had a idle lever for warm up. the cajun does not. instead the cajun ignition key is the type that you press the key in to choke the engine(electric choke i'm guessing).my engine has no hookups for an electric choke or does it?i know you guys don't know what i have but please give me some pointers? the engine will start if i spay a little fuel in the carbs. but i don't want to have to do this all the time. the number 3 carb has some electronics on it that i plugged in but i'm not sure if that is for the choke. the original control box did not have a choke option. confused i am........

2. Member

Re: 89 suki dt 150 control swap? (nowhereman825)

You have a choke solonide on the right side of the motor just behind the top carb.
    The wire that comes out is orange. This should be hooked up thru the power cable to your key switch. As for your advance thottle lever, you should have one if not, maybe you need to take it off your old control box, if you still have it. I also would
    suggest you get a service manual for your motor. They available on E-bay or at your local marine dealer...good luck

3. Member

Re: 89 suki dt 150 control swap? (EtecRanger 205)

Mine has no choke solenoid onthe engine. also the throttle advance lever cannot be installed on the controls that are in the boat now.it is a cajun boat with factory suzuki controls installed in dash etc. would really prefer to use those instead of the(box)
    could i add a choke solenoid? but even with a choke i still have no throttle advance
    why is it that i cant have both? the engine has always been hard to start and the throttle advance has always been needed to warm it up. once warmed it runs and starts fine.

4. Member

ok i think i figured this out. its not really a choke solenoid.suzuki website calls it a starter valve.i looked at some exploded diagrams and i do have one on my engine. on the diagram it shows that it contains a needle and seat plus a float kinda like a carb, an adjustment screw to control rate of fuel flow and tubing connecting it to the carbs. now since my engine sat up for 2 years and the carbs were gummed up pretty bad i am thinking that this starter solenoid is as well restricting the added fuel needed for startup. i'm gonna check it out as soon as i get home. i'm not sure if the wire was orange or not. also i am gonna remove it and see if the solenoid is moving when i depress the igniton key. if not i will put a meter on it and see if i get voltage if not then i guess something is disconnected or shorted or not hooked up at all... are we having fun yet? thanks in advance guys. let me know what u think

5. Member

ok i think i figured this out. its not really a choke solenoid.suzuki website calls it a starter solenoid.i looked at some exploded diagrams and i do have one on my engine. on the diagram it shows that it contains a needle and seat plus a float kinda like a carb, an adjustment screw to control rate of fuel flow and tubing connecting it to the carbs. now since my engine sat up for 2 years and the carbs were gummed up pretty bad i am thinking that this starter solenoid is as well restricting the added fuel needed for startup. i'm gonna check it out as soon as i get home. i'm not sure if the wire was orange or not. also i am gonna remove it and see if the solenoid is moving when i depress the igniton key. if not i will put a meter on it and see if i get voltage if not then i guess something is disconnected or shorted or not hooked up at all... are we having fun yet? thanks in advance guys. let me know what u think

6. Member

Yes, thats it, it has a plunger that is moved via magenet when engaged. As for the throttle advance. There should be a button in the middle of your shift lever. If you push this button when moving the lever forward, it should disingage the forward
    shift, just advancing the throttle. When you take apart the starter valve, just be careful small parts are involved. The adjustment screw is for choking when you
    donot have power to it, its a manual thing...I think your on the right track, good luck. starter valve is too messed up, I have several just let me know..

7. Member

Re: 89 suki dt 150 control swap? (EtecRanger 205)

Hey, Thanks for the offer. i cleaned it with some carb cleaner and a q-tip got all the varnish out and it works like a dream. gotta take the jack plate off though the dang steering cables won't work with it.about 4" to short.
    when i bought the boat it had a suzuki on it without a plate so hopefully i'll be ok. it looks like i'm gonna be around 3 1/2" past the pad without the plate. i hope this works. thanks for the help.