Best Prop for Tr 21 with 225 Optimax

I have a 2001 Tr 21 with a 225 OPTIMAX motor sits at 2 3/4 inch below pad whats the best prop for me?? right now im turning a 26p trophy plus!

2. Member
    I run a 26 Tempest+ on my boat and it does Ok. I also have a 27 Tempest+ that I run too and it also does pretty good. I use the 27 mostly when I'm by myself and the 26 with a partner. I can get on the rev limiter with the 26 and a lite load but can't hit the limiter with the 27. I do get a little more speed Vs RPM's with the 27 though. Some on here run a 25 on a TR-21 but I don't think that would work on my boat. Don"t know what the difference may be but I'd be all over the limiter with a 25 and would loose speed.

3. Member
    How do you like the tempest..... in regards to handleing that is, do you get any walking??

4. Member
    Yes it walks but is controllable. I have never ran a 4 blade prop so I don't have anything to compare to. If I have the boat balanced right there is little to no walk at all but if its not balanced right I do get some walking around 65 or so but its very controllable.

5. 1/2 of ' team catfish ' ol man river's Avatar
    whats your max rated rpms and what rpms/ speed numbers are you getting with the 26 trophy ?

the tr21 varies a bit from 01-05….it really depends on the load and your driving preferences, and what rpms you are willing to turn with the engine...….i prefer the tempest with my 03/225proxs. it holds a bit better in rough water. it will walk a bit when the load isnt balanced properly ( like when your partner brings his possumbelly tacklebox and 87 bags of worms….

6. Member
    I can hit 70 with.. little walk my rpms are 5600 the load is pretty balanced though... or so i think? but latley ive been getting blowout on when trying to get on plane since i raised it. going to place solid plugs on prop

7. Member
    OMR brings up a good point. There is some major differences in the 05X hull and those built before 04. Not sure what works for me will necessarily work for your 01 hull.

I want a partner that "only" brings 87 bags of worms! Between his fat arse and mine, along with all the tackle, hell, we need a barge! (Just kidding Don)

Try a 25 trophy plus. That will get you closer to the rev limiter but play with the Pvs holes and your holes hot will improve. You should also pickup 1-2 mph I would think. Your motor will push that 25 allot easier too.
    --------------------------------------------
    Phillip Arrington
    Dover/Goodlettsville Tn

2017 Sponsoring Partners:
    C&O Marine, Mercury Marine, Goodlettsville Gun Shop, Cantrell's Market, Motorguide , YETI, Carrot Stix, Yum, GateWay Tire Service Center, StormR, SpoolTek, RodSox, Jewel Bait Company, U.S. Bass, Bobs Machine Shop, Lazyman Hooks, FishBum, Bass Militia, Rayus, and Jenko Fishing.

1999 Triton TR-21PD
    Mercury 300R

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rapalaguy View Post
    I have a 2001 Tr 21 with a 225 OPTIMAX motor sits at 2 3/4 inch below pad whats the best prop for me?? right now im turning a 26p trophy plus!
    I have a '99 model and run a 25 tempest plus and see around 72-73. I also have a 26 trophy plus as a spare. I run the tempest 99.9% of the time for two reasons: 1) I can raise the engine higher with the tempest 2) I have heard too many stories of people throwing ears on a trophy 4 blade when raised too high. Thus I keep it as a spare. I also have my rig set up for running with a heavy load, full livewells and tournament gear for 2 people and the 25 is a better fit for this setup.

I recently tried a 26 tempest on mine. I have been running a 25 trophy for a few years now and I like the tempest better for 2 reasons. It is faster 74-75 gps and it powerloads onto the trailer much better. My trophy runs 71-73 and just will not push the boat up to the roller when loading. The only problem is that the 26 tempest that I tried was not mine! Guess I am gonna have to buy my own.
    2007 Triton TR20X HP
    Mercury Optimax 225 Pro XS

11. Member
    If posible look into trying a 26 Fury, I have found this prop to be the best fastest etc. The 26 tempest is a good prop for this boat with two people and a big tournament load but might bump the rev lim by yourself. The 27 Temp will get you the most speed between the temps and put you right about the rev limiter without going over... Now the old 4 blade 26 trophy is a good thick prop not the tPlus will jump the boat right out of the water in situations you are fishing shallow ares such as the LA marsh and need to get up quick! It will also be comparable to speeds in between the 26 and 27 temp without the chimewalk.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    I run a 26 Tempest+ on my boat and it does Ok. I also have a 27 Tempest+ that I run too and it also does pretty good. I use the 27 mostly when I'm by myself and the 26 with a partner. I can get on the rev limiter with the 26 and a lite load but can't hit the limiter with the 27. I do get a little more speed Vs RPM's with the 27 though. Some on here run a 25 on a TR-21 but I don't think that would work on my boat. Don"t know what the difference may be but I'd be all over the limiter with a 25 and would loose speed.
    I have a 04 21x with 04 225 optimax. I'm running a 27 tempest plus by myself and getting to 71 and on long stretches will bump rev limiter (5850) was running a 26 trophy that had some work done to it and would hit limit and would only get 67 out of it. With the 27 im running 25 psi water pressure and I haven't measured ptp height. I set it to another post on here from what merc engineer said him and earl set em to when they tested them.

13. Member
    This guy has a TR 21 not an X boat and needs a 25 trophy or a 26" tempest max with a regular 225 optimax. A 27 tempest is too much prop for a regular optimax on a TR 21 unless you have an efi down draft motor like mine.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    This guy has a TR 21 not an X boat and needs a 25 trophy or a 26" tempest max with a regular 225 optimax. A 27 tempest is too much prop for a regular optimax on a TR 21 unless you have an efi down draft motor like mine.
    are you referring to my boat? im still trying to find a good replacement for the original prop that came on the boat. 27 temp plus. danny gwinn said to run a 26 fury, i have and it is only 67 mph and at same rpms as 27 temp. thought about getting a 25 temp or 25 fury. any help is appreciated

15. Member
    With a 25" trophy you should be able to get to 72-73 on your boat with a regular 225 opti max RPM's at 5750 which is max for that motor. I have a 2004 225 down draft efi which runs like a 225 Pro xs and run a 27" trophy and turn it to the limiter which is 5750. It will go 78+ with just me, my gear and 30 gallons of gas.

16. Member
    With a 25" trophy you should be able to get to 72-73 on your boat with a regular 225 opti max RPM's at 5750 which is max for that motor. I have a 2004 225 down draft efi which runs like a 225 Pro xs and run a 27" trophy and turn it to the limiter which is 5750. It will go 78+ with just me, my gear and 30 gallons of gas.
    my max rpm is 5850. I ran a 26 trophy and would only get 67 out of it. Ran it yesterday. 60 degree water. 27 tempest and was getting 72 out of it at 5700. Both props been worked on

17. Member
    Your motor is older than mine and it's the last year that model was made. That tempest is slipping pretty bad if 72 is all it will go and that 26 trophy is in bad shape too.

18. Member
    Your motor is older than mine and it's the last year that model was made. That tempest is slipping pretty bad if 72 is all it will go and that 26 trophy is in bad shape too.
    thanks ill try to find a 25 trophy or 26 tempest, i imagine a 25 tempest or fury will hit limiter quick

I had a 2002 TR21 with a 225 Optimax
    until I blew it up it would run 73-74 loaded for a tournament
    It had a 10 inch jackplate
    PTP was 2.25"
    I preferred the 26p Trophy over the 26 Tempest
    The Tempest was slightly faster but the Trophy carried the boat better and it was much easier to drive
    the 1 mph gain wasn't worth the wilder ride

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson