Thread: Suzuki board

Suzuki board

I have a 1992 DT115 on a 1978 Basscat 1600Vee.

Bassin_Master what pitch prop are you running.

Mine is 23p would like to maybe go to a 26p. the 23p gets me 43mph (gps) at 5900rpm

2. Member

Re: Suzuki board (BassCat78)

I will get back with you

3. Member

I recently purchased the boat and motor so i am still figuring things out.

4. Member

I think a 26 would be a big jump as far as prop goes...why you wanting to change over? sounds like you are at good RPMS and not bad speed for that motor with that boat...it is a heavy one....

5. Member

Took her out yesterday, top speed, fully loaded (and i mean loaded), was 40 miles an hour with a 23

6. Member

Re: Suzuki board (Bassin_Master)

I think going to a 26 would be pretty good

7. Member

Re: Suzuki board (Bassin_Master)

Just remember you are going to get less RPMS out of that 26....especially with a heavy load....most of the time, that will mean less speed....

8. Member

Re: Suzuki board (cjdauth)

True, can't argue with that. I would rather stay with speed. Stay with what you got.

9. Member

http://photos.yahoo.com/lew9355

Thanks everyone for your input.

Don't normallly carry a heavy load.

Is there any fuel economy advantage to a 26p prop?? less RPMs less fuel consumed???

Combined with a 6" jackplate any advantage??? I have one just haven't had time to put it on.

Would like to see if it makes a difference with current set up.

My two son-in-laws and myself just completed an extreme makeover of the 78 basscat. Took it down to bare hull, replaced part of the deck, extended the dash, extended the casting deck, new seats, new carpet, new new new you get the picture. I know this is a Suzuki motor forum but if you are interested click on the link. The Suzuki motor is attached to the boat after all !! I do have all new decals for the motor and will be repainting it soon.

10. Member

Less RPMs doesn't always mean better fuel economy. If you are backing down on the throttle to accomplish it, yes...if you are lugging the motor down by using too big a prop, then NO...it will suck gas much worse than turning 6000 RPMs.

A jackplate will certainly help your set up, and maybe gived you a good bit more speed, but putting on a jackplate doesn't men that you will be automatically turning more rpms...I would have to say that you should definitely start with your prop once you install the jackplate, and then TRY a prop before you buy one if you want to try a 26....I just think a 26 is way too big for that thing...I had a '91 DT115 and ran a 23 on my 16.5 foot Blazer...it would run about 55 (speedo) or so, but it was a much lighter hull than what you are running now...

11. Member
    I've got an older dt115. I believe it's a 1981. The motor seams to run good cold. When it warms up, I think I'm losing a cylinder. Compression on all 4 are decent. When I pulled the plugs one of them had a brown deposit on the insulator. These are new plugs with less than an hour on them. Other than that, none were wet or oily. Any ideas? Motor sounds good, it just acts like I'm pulling back on the throttle.