1973 Charger (looks like a Ranger) worth rebuilding?

I'm considering an old bass boat (Charger - never heard of it). It's got a good sized Johnson outboard with it and a trailer in a trade for something I don't need. But I'm not familiar with these. I know it needs a new deck. I'm fairly good with wood working and finishing work (lacquer, epoxys, automotive finishing, etc).

What am I up against and what should I look out for? If it's a matter of building a new floor, I'd have no fear of that. I'm pretty good with engines. I don't know much about bass boats however.

I'd like to put a seat or two low to the water since I fish with my kids (10 and younger) the most.

I don't mind ugly but I would like a first boat that will be ready for the lake without too much time and money.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 777funk; 08-27-2014 at 11:55 AM.

eject eject eject

Quote Originally Posted by MMosher View Post
    eject eject eject
    I take it you think the boat would be a waste of time? I'm looking more/less for something that will float and I can catch fish out of. That's the extent of my needs (or what I can afford anyways) at this point in life.

Here's the ranger I was talking about btw... some similarities in shape/design:
    http://www.louisianasportsman.com/cl...7974142053.jpg

p1315767974142053.jpg
    Last edited by 777funk; 08-27-2014 at 02:09 PM.

Here's the Ranger boat I was talking about (somewhat similar in shape/design):
    http://www.louisianasportsman.com/cl...7974142053.jpg

I don't mind repairing. I realize it's probably not going to be worth much. Be nice to have a boat to fish in vs not owning a boat at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 777funk View Post
    I don't mind ugly but I would like a first boat that will be ready for the lake without too much time and money.
    Then I'd strongly suggest sticking with a simple aluminum fishing boat, tiller motor. Have the motor checked by a trusted marine mechanic, and verify the hull doesn't have any major leaks or weak transom. Minor leaks can be sealed with 3M 5200 adhesive if you know where they are. If it's already an open floor boat, you can replace the floor pretty easy if it has any rotten or soft spots. Don't mean to burst your bubble here, but there is just a LOT more to go wrong with an older fiberglass boat - alot of which may be hidden to the eye.

That's what I was wondering. I'm not all that familiar with fiberglass but I can picture it disintegrating/cracking to pieces over 41 years. Everything wears out.

Sounds like it'd be good to get an aluminum boat. Thanks for the direction!

I grew up fishing, working on things, my dad who was on budget always had an aluminum boat. I guess I should shop like he did.
    Last edited by 777funk; 08-28-2014 at 09:18 AM.

7. Member
    There is a decent older charger on bass boat sales via Facebook for $2400. Can't figure out how to upload the pics.

8. Member
    I restored a 1973 Ranger a few years back. Took 2 months time and about $3000 to fully restore. Your foam is probably soaked so expect to cut open the decks and replace the foam. The wiring is probably junk so replace that. Need fish finders and a trolling motor (I borrowed them from my big boat) to hold down costs. And when I was done nobody wanted it for well over a year so I sold it all for $800.