Help... 250 proXS 2200rpms wont plane.

I am on a fishing trip and having an issue with my 2008 Mercury 250 proxs. It goes up to about 2200rpms and wont get up on plane. After slowly feeding the gas and about 10 minutes later it came up once then did the same thing. If u rev it up in neutral it beeps once and acts like it has bad gas. Going to check plug wires and plugs when I pull it out. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. #FRB
    Try running it off an external gas can for a minute with gas from a different station and see what happens. Might have ruptured a fuel pump diaphragm as well.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Need to start with the BASICS: Compression, Spark Test, and Fuel Quality-Delivery-Air/Fuel Pressures.

Any warning horn at 2200 RPM's?

BTW.... do NOT accelerate your engine in neutral. Doing so causes Neutral Overspeed, Abusive Overspeed (Stage 1), and Abusive Overspeed (Stage 2) faults...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Problem was fixed for $30. After running the computer diagnostics, the problem was identified as injector #1 left open. The dealership was at first going to charge $300 to swap the injector, after the mechanic called Merc, they told him it was probably not the injector. So he swapped injector 1 and 2, to test the wiring harness and added electrical grease to the plug. I took the boat out and the electrical grease had fixed the problem, didn't have to replace the wiring harness or the injector saving me some $$$. Just thought others might want to know this information in case they have a similar problem.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    More than likely was simply corrosion in the connection (not uncommon).

BTW.... just for reference, if there's a problem with the harness (within a couple inches of the injector connector)- replacement PIGTAIL repair kits are readily available.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Mine did the same thing today....