water leak coming fm holes in water pressure relief valve cover (98 225)

I noticed water draining from front of motor, thru control cable run (it was trimmed up) while idling. I found that it was coming thru what appears to be small vents in the cover (not the gaskets) of the water pressure relief valve system. I have normal water pressure at idle and wot. Anyone seen this problem before? Looking at the picture in the manual I think it might be the diaphragm is leaking. I wanted to check with you guys before digging into it. Tks

2. Member

Re: water leak coming fm holes in water pressure relief valve cover (whiskey4)

It sounds like you have figured it out. The poppit valve kit will include everything you need to fix it. Be careful to make sure you have the plunger started into the hole in the block as you put it back together.

3. Member

Re: water leak coming fm holes in water pressure relief valve cover (ssv1761982)

Thanks for the tip. Do you know the part nr for the poppet kit? I found the parts, but not in a kit. Each had to be ordered separately.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Individual parts required.

Sherm @ Sherm's Marine (or I) would be more than happy to assist you with replacements.

Email or Phone are the BEST means of contacting the Parts Department(s).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member

Re: water leak coming fm holes in water pressure relief valve cover (EuropeanAM)

Thanks Don. I am going to order them from your parts dept tomarrow. I think a diaphram, 2 gaskets, a spring and poppet should do it. Anything else?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Just ask for a poppet valve kit (we keep a predetermined parts list "kit" in the system for 3L models).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member

Re: water leak coming fm holes in water pressure relief valve cover (EuropeanAM)

10-4 Don, appreciate your help..