Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yellow/Orange Bottom NO MORE

So the last 2 years I tried everything to get the stain off my boat that was there when I brought the boat home. I didn't feel like being on my back out of whack trying to get the stain out. So I read last week about the toilet bowl cleaners again and again. Been reading about it for a long time now, But I was worried it would eat the glue off my new bunks/carpet..I went ahead and tried THE WORKS from walmart...I said try a test spot to see what it does before I get started and that is the first pic. It started to eat the stain before I could get the water hose turned on. Hope this helps somebody. HERE ARE THE RESULTS

Bottom pics2.jpgBottom pics1.jpgBottom pics3.jpgBottom pics4.jpg
    Last edited by mcherry; 06-26-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Excellent job? How exactly did you apply and clean it?
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

3. Member
    Oh yeah forgot that part in the first post. I first just kinda through it on there (see pic 1 and 2) Then decided it was to messy. Got a spray bottle and watered down The Works toilet bowl cleaner and sprayed it on there. You don't have to water it down but it slows the process down some. It also will allow you to spray a bigger area at one time. Don't breath it in what ever you do.
    Last edited by mcherry; 06-26-2012 at 06:18 PM.

4. Member
    Oh yeah forgot that part in the first post. I first just kinda through it on there (see pic 1 and 2) Then decided it was to messy. Got a spray bottle and watered down The Works toilet bowl cleaner and sprayed it on there. You don't have to water it down but it slows the process down some. It also will allow you to spray a bigger area at one time. Down breath it in what ever you do.

Materials USED:
    The Works-Toilet bowl cleaner
    Spray bottle- to water it down some
    Water hose- just to rinse
    Glasses-protect your eyes

5. Member
    The New BBC is pizzing me off..Double post just for tapping the enter button on accident and now you can't even fix it.

Nice job. You did the right thing by watering it down some to spray.

The Works ingredient is Hydrochloric acid ( sometimes called Muriatic Acid ) at around a 25 % strength.

Virtually all of the commercial hull cleaners and whiteners are either Muriatic Acid, Oxalic Acid or a combo of those or Citric Acid. Diluting them down to use will slow the process but keep your trailer parts safer.

7. Member
    I'm impressed, looks great! So those stains must be a mineral build up to react with acids like that... ?
    1999 Triton TR-21
    Mercury 225 EFI SN: 0G885166

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cotherman View Post
    I'm impressed, looks great! So those stains must be a mineral build up to react with acids like that... ?
    Calcium.
    So many honey-dos . . . . . so little motivation

9. Member
    I'm no chemist but it works. I got to say all the guys on here said toilet bowl cleaner works so...

10. Member
    cool

11. Member
    Thanks

12. Member
    Good info!
    Polish Power

13. AH HELL Coming in HOT.... Fishn_Fatboy's Avatar
    Great info will be using this from now on thanks
    USMC Combat Vet 0331

"Their trolling and the hooks anit big enough" well shit "They're messing with the wrong school they ate their WHEATIES"

does the cleaner penetrate the gel? you guys waxing or sealing after cleaning? i'm guessing the stain is in the gel so the cleaner gets into the gel to get it out. just wondering if using the cleaner means the gel is more open to absorb the stains the next time out. is the boat harder to wipe down after you've used the cleaner?

15. Member
    HCl (hydrochloric acid) will definitely open the pores on the gelcoat. That's how it does what it does. You will certainly want to use a good quality sealer like Basscat7 has recommended to seal the hull after an application of this, otherwise the same thing will just happen all over again.

This from a guy with a TON of experience with chemical acids like HCl.

Just another tip for those who weren't paying attention in chemistry class. NEVER< EVER EVER add water to acid to dilute. ALWAYS add the acid to the water. When you add water to acid, your initial 'splash' of water creates a high molar compound of HCl, which releases a tremendous burst of initial heat, which usually results in a high density reaction that will splatter up and burn the heck out of you. Be careful. This pertains to mixing up your own batch using HCl using concentrated acid and water.

Jeff

16. Member
    Damn Jeff, now you tell me this..Glad it was with the water hose on low in a bottle with a tight tip to it. Hell it might of burned my eyeballs out...Thanks for this tip.

ANd NO I DIDN'T PAY ATTENTION IN CHEMIS-ERY CLASS...

Will wax reseal the hull so this want happen again? Thanks my basscat that I just got had a bottom like this plaining on taking care of this issue tomorrow.
    Garmin Stiker 7sv and 7cv
    2017 Crestliner VT17 - Mercury 60 4S

Toilet bowl cleaner works great will also clean stains off the driveway.

19. Member

Works Toilet Bowl Cleaner

Could you do this on a tin boat?

nooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! will ruin aluminum turns it white
    \"We the People\"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast