Thread: Megabass Rods

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Megabass Rods

Alright guys, I know a lot of you think it's insane to spend $370 to $500, or even $600 or $700 on a rod. Some others of you think it's insane to spend $50K on a boat, $50K on a vehicle to pull it, and then use "average" rods and reels. To each his own - this thread isn't about that and frankly, I don't really care either way because what another man does with his money isn't my concern. We are the United States and the freedom to buy and use what makes us happy in the endeavor we all love, fishing, shouldn't be a point of angst amongst us in my opinion. Some guys can afford a 100K boat and truck, some can't. So what. Some guys can afford a $400 rod, some can't, so what.

All that said, I'd like to open a converstation about Megabass rods. Yes, The Tackle Trap sells them, is a BBC sponsor, and I use a lot of them and have since well before The Tackle Trap even existed. I know a lot about them, their history, performance, and other facts I find interesting. I've been fishing with a lot of the X4 rods and a few of the new Black Jungle rods lately. Like a lot of folks, I've fallen into the "technique specific" trap so to speak. Looking for the best rod for a particular technique and ending up with way more rods all designed for those few things that seem to fall within each individual rods sweet spot. I suppose that's why I've always liked the G Loomis MBR series so much. They're a group of rods that can do a lot of things and do them very well. I have to say after a considerable amount of time on the water with the X4 series, they deserve some serious consideration. Call my opinion biased if you will, matters not to me. I'm sharing information at this point and if it results in a few rods sales, fine, fantastic, so be it, if not, that's fine too! From the Rattle Viper all the way up to the Black Python, the range of techniques that can be covered, and covered well, with a small group of rods is very impressive.

I'll write very briefly about the new Black Jungle rods. These rods as incredible as they are, clearly reside on the upper end of the cost spectrum of bass fishing rods. I understand that. But, how many rods can you honestly say throw a RC 3.5 or a 1/2 oz swim jig as well as a 3 oz Alabama Rig? Very few that I know of, but the Megabass Black Jungle Power Versatile can. I've thrown everything from DD22's to big squarebills to 3oz Alabama Rigs to 3oz swimbaits to 1oz football jigs all on one rod and never once felt like I was lacking for anything. Add up the number of rods and reels it would take to cover what this one rod can do with one reel, the numbers may be a surprise.

There are many other examples of the impressive versatility of both the Megabass X4 and Black Jungle rod series, but I can't write about them all. I could say more about the Super Red Demon, but we'll save that one for later. A lot of folks are turned off by the fact that a rod as costly as a Megabass doesn't have a lifetime warranty. Fortunatlely now, they do come with a 3 year warranty. Most of us know that if a rod has a manufacturing defect, it's going to show up much sooner than in 3 years. Heck, do most 50K tow vehicles come with more than a 3 year warranty? It's a matter of perspective really. Make no illusion folks, I know Megabass rods aren't for most guys and I'm fine with that. I'm interested to hear some other thoughs from Megabass owners and everyone else...

Gary, what megabass rod will throw 3/8 to 3/4 tubes, spinnerbaits, senkos, vision 110's and if i absolutely have to deep crank. deep cranking will be very seldom though. i owned the megabass x4 f6-72 and think it might fit the bill. is there another in those two line- ups can handle those techniques?
    now as far cost i think you get what you pay for. rods and reels are tools that are used to catch fish. some tools are better than others and cost more, just like any other industry. i own a framing company and only use high end tools, sure i can go to lowes and buy 200 dollar framing guns and 50 dollar saws but i choose 400 japanesse Hitachi guns and 200 dollar mag77 saws. these tools are lighter and more powerfull than others and make my job easier and quicker. i am totally with you on this one.

3. Get'n it done
    Whats your opinion on the Aaron Martens dropshot rod? Looking at getting another drop rod, and thinking of doing a nice one for graduation to myself.
    Steven Shamblin
    2003 Triton TR-22 / Evinrude 225H/O

Quote Originally Posted by andrey View Post
    Gary, what megabass rod will throw 3/8 to 3/4 tubes, spinnerbaits, senkos, vision 110's and if i absolutely have to deep crank. deep cranking will be very seldom though. i owned the megabass x4 f6-72 and think it might fit the bill. is there another in those two line- ups can handle those techniques?
    I think you're right about the F6-72X4 Destruction being the best choice in the X4 lineup to handle all those techniques, mostly because it's a very capable deep crank rod. It may be a touch on the heavy side for Vision 110's and 3/8 oz. tubes, but it'll still handle them just fine. I've thrown a Pointer 100's and pitched 3/8 oz jigs on the Destruction and have been very happy with it's performance. The F5-68X4 Super Orochi is an outstanding "all purpose" Medium Heavy type rod great for Vision 110's, senkos, spinnerbaits, but I'd rather have the Destruction for the larger tubes especially in deep water.

Quote Originally Posted by flathead266 View Post
    Whats your opinion on the Aaron Martens dropshot rod? Looking at getting another drop rod, and thinking of doing a nice one for graduation to myself.
    Unfortunately, the 610DGS Limited has been discontinued for good this time. Despite coming back from the grave once before, we have word from the source that this rod is gone for good. We've recently sold our last one and there are no more available to us, but it's a heck of a sweet dropshot/finesse stick. I have the DGS version myself, though I'm not a huge dropshot fan, it does a fantastic job when I do break it out. On the bright side, the Orochi F3-610X4s Aaron Martens Limited model is available. A couple of the Megabass pros have stated that the X4 version has the same characteristics and feel of the Limited DGS model, it's just not as sexy looking We don't have one in stock, but as with a long list of Megabass rods, we can special order it for you if you like. It'll carry the 3 year warranty as well. Congrats on the graduation

i have been eyeing that red demon......

Quote Originally Posted by Black Haze View Post
    i have been eyeing that red demon......
    I don't blame you because the Super Red Demon is wicked, wicked, wicked... I've thrown everything from a 1/2 oz swim jig up to an 8" Huddleston and a sinking 8" Freestyle weighing 4.5oz and a bunch of stuff in between and haven't felt like I was missing anything. It'll punch mats with the best of them, handle any bama rig out there, and still have the sensitivity to feel a light bite on a big football jig in deep water. How many rods can do that? It's definitely one of the most impressive rods I've ever used and I look forward to fishing it again very, very soon!

8. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    IMO, those rods would be sweet in a tourney where you were allowed only 1 rod on the boat.. But unless your going to cut and retie a different bait each time you want to change techniques, I find it much more productive to buy 2 or 3 specific rods, for the price of one "multi purpose" rod.. But, as the OP said, to each his own!

Quote Originally Posted by Mickstix View Post
    IMO, those rods would be sweet in a tourney where you were allowed only 1 rod on the boat.. But unless your going to cut and retie a different bait each time you want to change techniques, I find it much more productive to buy 2 or 3 specific rods, for the price of one "multi purpose" rod.. But, as the OP said, to each his own!
    buy 3 or 4 megabass rods instead of 12 others and you will be covered. even if you have to retie its not that much. i think Gary was clear on what this post was about, its not how many rods you can buy with 400 or 600 hundred bucks. its about how nice this 2 series of megabass rod are and other peoples opinion on the quality of these rods.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickstix View Post
    I definitely understand that... I don't fish tourneys like I used to, but always liked to keep a few technique specific rods around as well as a few multi purpose sticks around because you just never know what you might need to do out there on any given day. These days I fish first and foremost for the pure enjoyment of fishing as well as the enjoyment of using the kind of gear I'm talking about here. Make no mistake, Megabass rods are clearly tournament quality stuff most guys would love the opportunity to give a workout!

How do you think the Megabass 6'8" RattleViper Technical Game would do for a Sammy rod with 30# Braid? I need to replace what Im using now & been looking at this one.
    Last edited by farmin542; 06-20-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by farmin542 View Post
    How do you think the Megabass 6'8" RattleViper Technical Game would do for a Sammy rod with 30# Braid? I need to replace what Im using now & been looking at this one.
    It's one of my favorite topwater rods and I absolutely love it for the Giant Dog X and Sammy 85 up to 100 sized baits. I have an Alphas R-edition spooled with 30lb Daiwa Samurai braid that i use for Rico/Rio Ricos, walking baits, etc. and it does the trick very, very nicely! It also makes a great crankbait and jerkbait rod. Brian swears by his as a shakey head rod and I know it handles the flick shake like a champ!

I tried out alot of rods for it but most receintly the Cumulus 6'5" Med Fast and it works well for popers on 20# Suffix 832, but feels under powered for the Sammy's on 30#. Im probly gonna convert it to a small crankbait / drop shot rod matched up with a Core 100 because it is very sensitive and should be well suited for those, just doesnt have the power I was hoping for. Im SURE I will end up with that rod, but I just set up a 6'6" Zillion Med XF to try out with walking baits friday nite. I think it will miss the mark the other way and have to much power and I probly wont be happy with the casting distance I will get from the XF tip, but Im gonna give it a shot anyway. I'll probly have one on order with you and Brian 1st thing saturday am and have the Zillion set back up for throwin blade baits. Plus I got a tricked out steez 103 with Orig Corks that would look pretty sick on it. I'll get with you or Brian this weekend or monday at the latest, thanks for the info man.

Quote Originally Posted by farmin542 View Post
    I tried out alot of rods for it but most receintly the Cumulus 6'5" Med Fast and it works well for popers on 20# Suffix 832, but feels under powered for the Sammy's on 30#. Im probly gonna convert it to a small crankbait / drop shot rod matched up with a Core 100 because it is very sensitive and should be well suited for those, just doesnt have the power I was hoping for. Im SURE I will end up with that rod, but I just set up a 6'6" Zillion Med XF to try out with walking baits friday nite. I think it will miss the mark the other way and have to much power and I probly wont be happy with the casting distance I will get from the XF tip, but Im gonna give it a shot anyway. I'll probly have one on order with you and Brian 1st thing saturday am and have the Zillion set back up for throwin blade baits. Plus I got a tricked out steez 103 with Orig Corks that would look pretty sick on it. I'll get with you or Brian this weekend or monday at the latest, thanks for the info man.
    The Cumulus 6'5" is a pretty light little stick - very nice, but I'd agree that it's better with 20lb braid or 6 to 8lb FC or Nylon and finesse stuff. That 6'6" Medium Zillion is like most companies MH rods. All the Zillion rods fish a power or so heavier than what you'd imagine by looking at the specs but they're very nice rods. That flared reel seat is a little hard to get used to for me, but I know a lot of folks love it.

The Rattle Viper with a Steez 103 and original Daiwa Cork knobs will be an awesome combo and will look absolutely gorgeous too... If you do end up with it, post up some photos here! We just shipped a Rattle Viper out today to a customer planning to use it as a flick shake, shakey head, smaller moving bait rod - I think he's pairing his with a Steez as well

Thought I'd give a quick update on the Megabass Black Jungle F6.5-74 Power Versatile. I was out fishing a 1/2 oz football jig in 20' to 30' catching some quality smallmouth on rockpiles and long runout points when a very large group of stripers started busting out off a point in front of us. I cut the jig off and tied on a 6" Lunker Punker and started launching it into the breaking fish... only managed to land one striper about 10 or 12lbs, but it was very cool nonetheless to go from effectively fishing a 1/2 oz jig in deep water to tossing a 2oz topwater swimbait equally as impressively!

16. Member
    Can you compare the sensitivity difference between a x4 destruction and a nrx crr. They seem to be close in action according to the tackle tour reviews. I'm looking closely at the destruction for flipping brush hogs in the 3/16 to 1/2 weight range.

Quote Originally Posted by bkbtr210 View Post
    Can you compare the sensitivity difference between a x4 destruction and a nrx crr. They seem to be close in action according to the tackle tour reviews. I'm looking closely at the destruction for flipping brush hogs in the 3/16 to 1/2 weight range.
    Sorry for the late response - I just ran across this older post! First off, these two rods are very different. The F6-72X4 Destruction is rated up to 3 1/4 oz and has a more moderate flex than the NRX CRR. I've thrown baits up to 2 oz with no problems, but I think the rating is a bit on the high side personally. It's also much more versatile than the CRR, though as a pure jig and worm from 1/2 oz to 3/4 oz, the CRR is hard to beat in terms of sensitivity. The Destruction is a VERY sensitive rod, but it's just good for so much more than jigs and worms. I throw those, toads and frogs, big squarebills, big topwaters, big spinnerbaits, and it's one of the finest heavier cover swim jig rods I've ever used. Here's a link:

Megabass Orochi F6-72X4 Destruction [Orochi F6-72X4 Destruction] - $449.00 : The Tackle Trap, Inc.
    Last edited by Bronzefly; 01-16-2015 at 07:01 AM.

18. Member
    That's okay I have already bought the destruction from you guys and love it. Thanks for the reply. We had a discussion on the Tackle tour forum about it too. Thanks again Brian

19. Member
    Any updates

Quote Originally Posted by BassinJax View Post
    Any updates
    Nice old post revival! Sure, lots of updates since 2012. The new XX line is out, there are all sorts of things going on with Megabass rods. If you have any specific questions, feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll be glad to help you pick out the right rod for your application. The Tackle Trap is still a Megabass dealer and we're still a BBC sponsor too

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast