Thread: Megabass Rods

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Do you have some of these MegaBass rods at the store? I'd really like to see these in person? Thanks!
    '06 Gambler 2100
    '06 Mercury Racing 250XS

Quote Originally Posted by sbg View Post
    Do you have some of these MegaBass rods at the store? I'd really like to see these in person? Thanks!
    Yes, we usually keep all the XX models in stock at all times. We also try to keep a few other models on hand as well, but we order Megabass rods at least once a week, so it doesn't take long to get something in if we don't have it on hand. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions, and come on by the shop and check them out

3. Member
    Thank you!
    '06 Gambler 2100
    '06 Mercury Racing 250XS

4. Member
    Gary, I see way back in the thread that you are a big Nautilus fan. Seems like Megabass depicts this as a moving bait rod but you seem to like it as a jig rod. Can you elaborate on it a bit especially taper and sensitivity?

I currently have 4 of the Megabass Rods, all bought from the Tackle Trap, and I just ordered another one today. These are honestly some of the best rods I have ever owned and this is coming from a die hard G-Loomis fan. Once I got away from some of the higher end Loomis rods, I swore I would never pay that kind of money for another rod until I tried one of the Orochi XX's. Gary hit the nail on the head when he said how versatile these rods are. I don't know of too many rod's where you can go from a fast moving lure to a bottom dwelling lure and have enough confidence that it will be sensitive enough to feel the most subtle bite. I really like the fact that I can take one rod and cover 3 or 4 techniques or baits and don't have to carry 20 plus rods in my boat anymore. When you get down to the price of them, it really isn't all that bad when you consider you buy one Megabass rod and it will cover 2-4 other rod brands. All I know is they made a believer out of me and I'm as stubborn and hard headed as they come.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    Gary, I see way back in the thread that you are a big Nautilus fan. Seems like Megabass depicts this as a moving bait rod but you seem to like it as a jig rod. Can you elaborate on it a bit especially taper and sensitivity?
    It's an ideal 7'6" somewhere between MH and H all purpose type rod. It's a great bottom contact rod with 3/4 oz being the upper limit in my hands, but 1/2 oz being ideal. I love tossing big spinner baits and big chatter baits on it as well. I've thrown a 6XD with it as well and it handles it fine. Full sized Vixens, no problem. Big square bills, no problem. It's definitely among my favorite Megabass rods...

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    It's an ideal 7'6" somewhere between MH and H all purpose type rod. It's a great bottom contact rod with 3/4 oz being the upper limit in my hands, but 1/2 oz being ideal. I love tossing big spinner baits and big chatter baits on it as well. I've thrown a 6XD with it as well and it handles it fine. Full sized Vixens, no problem. Big square bills, no problem. It's definitely among my favorite Megabass rods...

Hey Bryan - glad you're enjoying them, thank you for the support

This is a wealth of info. I recently came across a x7 Diablo Fastmove I might be adding to my aresenal.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanDLTH View Post
    This is a wealth of info. I recently came across a x7 Diablo Fastmove I might be adding to my aresenal.
    Holy flashback Friday Batman! 12 years ago!

The X7 Diablo Fast Move is a great stick. I still have mine in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    Holy flashback Friday Batman! 12 years ago!

The X7 Diablo Fast Move is a great stick. I still have mine in fact.
    LOL! I was looking for the post Mark made a year or two ago, must of posted on this one by accident.

Sounds like a great stick!

11. Member
    Ahhh...the necromancer lives!

12. Member
    I could putt with my driver too, if I wanted, but choose not to. I definitely wouldn’t want to re-tie several times a day just to be able to use the same rod. I do believe you get what you pay for, and Megabass definitely makes some high end rods. Possibly fair to consider them among the top of the top.

13. Member
    I would really like a way to be able to relate any of the higher end MB rods to the less expensive Orochi XX.

It's understood that the less expensive Levante rod will not perform exactly like the more expensive Orochi but the lines contain same-named models which is at least a starting point. Trying to go from P5 to Orochi is impossible...

14. Member
    Just bought the Levante Tour Versatile
    Red Sox in 6!

Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    I would really like a way to be able to relate any of the higher end MB rods to the less expensive Orochi XX.

It's understood that the less expensive Levante rod will not perform exactly like the more expensive Orochi but the lines contain same-named models which is at least a starting point. Trying to go from P5 to Orochi is impossible...
    List the model of P5s that you want comps for amd I will try to match up a XX for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post

There are some fairly straightforward corollaries between XX and P5, for example Daemos and Diablo Spec R, One Ten Special and Jerk Bait Special, Javelin and EMTF... but the blank differences between XX and P5 are noticeable and the actions aren't going to be exactly the same.

17. Member
    This post just proves how long Bronzefly has been shilling for Megabass. The man is a dedicated fan. :)
    I come from the land of the ice and snow.
    YouTube: PunchFishing

Quote Originally Posted by punch View Post
    This post just proves how long Bronzefly has been shilling for Megabass. The man is a dedicated fan. :)
    I've been using Megabass rods longer than many knew that the company even existed, and far before The Tackle Trap ever became one of the first dealers in the US. My enthusiasm for Megabass products was built on a love of the sport and the products they bring to market, and still is today

19. Member
    Is the mad bull a good replacement for the loomis 845 imx pro crank bait rods? I use it for dt6, dt8 and traps.

What do you like for these baits

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishfry View Post
    Is the mad bull a good replacement for the loomis 845 imx pro crank bait rods? I use it for dt6, dt8 and traps.

What do you like for these baits
    From what I can gather, the Mad Bull is more powerful and perhaps has a slightly faster taper. I'm not sure it's as powerful as a CBR 847, but it might be like a CBR846 GLX if such an animal existed in the GLoomis lineup.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast