Thread: Megabass Rods

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by fishfry View Post
    Is the mad bull a good replacement for the loomis 845 imx pro crank bait rods? I use it for dt6, dt8 and traps.

What do you like for these baits
    The Madbull is entirely too powerful for DT6/8 and most lipless - it's more like a 1/2 oz vibrating jig/bulky trailer kind of a rod, or a 1/2 oz or larger spinner bait rod. Closer in power and action to the 845 would be the US P5 Oneten Special. It handles DT8/10 and lipless up to 1/2 oz or so nicely. I like throwing the DT series, the 4 and 6 quite a bit. I pick up the Z-Crank Elseil for these baits first. I prefer the Oneten Special for 8's and 10's though.

2. Member
    thanks

3. Member
    Thoughts on the new Levante series? Is the perfect pitch a rod you can use all day? Seems the more budget rods are just heavy (weight wise) and dead feeling in the heavier actions..

Their spinning rods intrigue me also. Between Dropshot and shakey models which is better to throw a 1/4oz grub or sonar minnow on?

Quote Originally Posted by DMart1 View Post
    Thoughts on the new Levante series? Is the perfect pitch a rod you can use all day? Seems the more budget rods are just heavy (weight wise) and dead feeling in the heavier actions..

Their spinning rods intrigue me also. Between Dropshot and shakey models which is better to throw a 1/4oz grub or sonar minnow on?

The Levante series has been around several years now. We are on the second generation of them now. Same with the Orochi XX. I could easily fish with nothing but Levantes or Orochis in my boat and not have any issues. A lot of my moving bait rods are Levantes.
    Fishing with a Orochi is easy. Not overly heavy at all. They are not a entry level bargain rod. Neither are Levantes. Look at the components on both.

I would go with the Shakeyhead Special for that purpose.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    List the model of P5s that you want comps for amd I will try to match up a XX for you.
    Thank you Mark. I was trying to get a handle on the Dark sleeper rod. I currently own Orochi XX Brailist and Perfect Pitch. Would either of these be similar?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    There are some fairly straightforward corollaries between XX and P5, for example Daemos and Diablo Spec R, One Ten Special and Jerk Bait Special, Javelin and EMTF... but the blank differences between XX and P5 are noticeable and the actions aren't going to be exactly the same.
    Thank you. I have Levante EMTF and Flat Side Special. both very interesting and functional in their respective roles - though I don't fish anything less than 1/2oz on the FSS.

I'm also looking for a light Swimbait rod, any corollaries to Mark 56?

7. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    Thank you Mark. I was trying to get a handle on the Dark sleeper rod. I currently own Orochi XX Brailist and Perfect Pitch. Would either of these be similar?
    The Dark Sleeper is much lighter than the Braillist and much, much lighter than the PP in both physical weight and power.

The DS is a really nice rod but I don't like it for Dark Sleepers. I prefer the slightly heavier power Daemos or Diablo Spec-R for Dark Sleepers as it often takes a "hookset from Thor" to get the Dark Sleeper hook buried. I use my DS mostly for open water jackhammers and flashy swimmers.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123