easiest way to get into hull to see if water logged

Just like it said, any of you know an easy way for me to get in there and dig around and see if my boats logged or not. running out of ideas on motor problems since mechanics keep saying my boat is as powerful as any 200 they have ever run on the dyno and 2 of them have said it so im gonna see bout digging in and trying to get to the "floatation" to see if its logged??

2. Member
    How about weighing it with everything taken out and compare to what it, the trailer and the motor should weigh.

3. Cobra Boats Moderator Backlash Ar's Avatar
    If you're a contortionist and don't mind battery box diving (ugh) and might never be seen again you could remove enough things in the bilge area to give you access to the little trap door that will allow you to see the inside of the hull, at least toward the stern of the boat.

I thought I would be on Easy Street by now but somehow I missed the off ramp!

In my Coral, I can't see any of the flotation, from any angle or compartment (that I've found yet). It's enclosed under the batteries shelf. I suppose you could find that enclosed area (it's pretty obvious), and drill a finger sized hole near the bottom of the enclosure, so you could see if water runs out or stick your finger in for a feel. Then seal the hole back up with silicone.

I've watched your thread, and can't comprehend your boat being so mysteriously heavy, that it's performance is suffering. It seems to me you and your mechanics would know if the boat was 600+ pounds over weight (how much weight does it take to bog it down?), just by looking at how it sits on the trailer or tows.

I hope you find the problem and let us know. It's very odd.

By chance, have you looked under the hull? when on the trailer near the bunk boards ... the reason I ask, is I have been talking with a guy from up north and his 201 de-laminated and water rushed in from the bottom and got in between the gel coat and the fiberglass which eventually filled his foam and his insurance company totaled his hull because of it.
    Speed ... Gotta Have It!!
    Cobra 190d 250 Yamaha SHO

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimman View Post
    In my Coral, I can't see any of the flotation, from any angle or compartment (that I've found yet). It's enclosed under the batteries shelf. I suppose you could find that enclosed area (it's pretty obvious), and drill a finger sized hole near the bottom of the enclosure, so you could see if water runs out or stick your finger in for a feel. Then seal the hole back up with silicone.

I've watched your thread, and can't comprehend your boat being so mysteriously heavy, that it's performance is suffering. It seems to me you and your mechanics would know if the boat was 600+ pounds over weight (how much weight does it take to bog it down?), just by looking at how it sits on the trailer or tows.

I hope you find the problem and let us know. It's very odd.
    I appreciate you checkin on my threads and trust me when this is all said and done I WILL be posting what the problem was on here.

Okay, so today I headed over to my uncles and we were hell or high water gonna get into the floatation of this boat and find out weather my boat was logged. After getting into the compartment where all the pumps were at we just couldnt seem to find a way to get to the floatation or even see any. So what we did was took the cranking battery box out and drilled a 2" hole with a hole saw. Well that definetly is NOT the problem. That stuff was like brand new and we dug it out all the way down to the bottom of the boat just to make sure. That stuff was like you sprayed it in there yesterday. So back to the engine I guess.....................

The thing is, with taking it to some of these boat repair places is they arent getting to take this boat to the water. They run it on a dyno and tell me its got tons of power put when I get it to the water its just horrible. Im still betting my bank account that this boils down to a timing issue. when the motor starts to come up in rpm it never does get to the point where the boat has "zip".......... It just is a freakin puke all the way around. now it will reach max rpms put takes for EVER to get there and now that I know I don't have a weight issue im wondering. When I called the dealership that worked on my machine they said that they check for max hp on the engine when it gets to WOT and my boat has the power at 5800 that it should. I don't know, Just wish I had the means to one of those high tech laptops to plug in and take it to the water myself but hell Id be to dumb to read it anyhow.... LOL

The thing is, they wouldnt even have to run the boat off the trailer, they could just back it down the ramp start it and put it in gear and tromp the hot foot with the lower unit in the water and when It BOWWWWWWWGED LIKE CRAZY at 15-2000 rpms they would know it couldnt be right.

Ive watched plenty of boats my sized with 200hp engines power load on the trailer at my local lake and there isnt a one of them that would bog when they hit the throttle like mine. they just kick it in the a$$ and the engine sings up to about 4K rpms and it slides on up to the roller. you couldnt BEG my engine to do that even with the 4 bladed prop I have on it now (which is on there to aid in the horrible performance of the engine).
    Last edited by cobracrazed; 06-18-2012 at 05:50 PM.

7. Member
    It sounds as though your boat may be over propped or there is an issue with your prop. One thing is for certain, a 4 blade prop does a poor job of pushing your boat onto the trailer. I alternate between running a 3 blade and a 4 blade prop and can tell you there is a world of difference between them when pushing the boat onto the trailer. The 4 blade prop will bog and won't push it up onto the trailer at all. I have to put the trailer deeper in the water to get it on. The 3 blade Tempest will try to push the trailer and truck up the ramp by comparison.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OKDan View Post
    It sounds as though your boat may be over propped or there is an issue with your prop. One thing is for certain, a 4 blade prop does a poor job of pushing your boat onto the trailer. I alternate between running a 3 blade and a 4 blade prop and can tell you there is a world of difference between them when pushing the boat onto the trailer. The 4 blade prop will bog and won't push it up onto the trailer at all. I have to put the trailer deeper in the water to get it on. The 3 blade Tempest will try to push the trailer and truck up the ramp by comparison.
    Couldnt agree more but here is the thing, this boat came with the 25p tempest plus and that is what EVERYONE with my same exact boat is running with this boat/engine combo and my prop is in good shape. Not to mention I bought a brand new 24 pitch tempest plus and it didnt hardly help low end at all.

From what all Ive learned the 4 blade is supposed to help on holeshot and loading on the trailer. It does with my boat thats for sure but my boats still not right.

9. Member
    There are two main areas of floatation foam, one on each side of the bilge divide. You could check both sides. You could also remove one bunk board at a time with a floor jack from under the trailer and check for any cracks or damage in the gelcoat under the bunks.

After that, you should have pretty much eliminated the possibilty of the hull being waterlogged. If your engine is running right, just about any decent prop should be able to push the boat up on the trailer.

In all honesty 200 Mercs are famous for having a sluggish bottom end. Too much load and they struggle to spin up. Do you have vents/plugs on the prop? Maybe you need to open those plugs a little. I think they make three different sets. Also could be the low side of the stator going out, I think it goes up to about 2000 rpms before the high side of the coils kick in.

11. Member
    I've got a slight lag in my 200 on my Coral at 1700 rpm's...what's the deal with the stator? That may be what's causing my problem. And....what is a stator?
    2000 Viper Coral 202/225 Pro Xs
    Ghost, HDS Lives, etc, etc.

Did you get your problem fixed, I have the same problem for 5 years, with little help and hundreds of post

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dshirley View Post
    Did you get your problem fixed, I have the same problem for 5 years, with little help and hundreds of post
    Yes he did. Here's the thread where he finally solved his issue

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=254196