Banned

Cajun Anchor is the way to go !!! Cheap man's power pole

Now I wouldn't mind having a power pole or two or 3 on my bass boat and pontoon boat. But that's a HEAP of money and there are cheaper alternatives than throwing out a 10-30lb anchor when you want to fish shallow and stay put. BUT this won't work on rocks. I was fishing with my cajun buddy last week when they were throwing this 4ft SS rod and I thought it was home made (and could be). But I found a store that sells those things in alumunim and stainless steel in several lengths. I'm gonna get 2 of those 6ft alumunim poles for my boats.

Cajun Anchors

You can get a fiberglass 8' allot cheaper than that. Then tie off to it.
    Life is kinda hard but it's
    better than the other options .. er ..option !

How about this for an alternative...

4. Member
    i'm gonna build a trolling motor bracket that i can put my push pole through.

5. Banned
    This is made out of scrap metal and i used a $5 10ft aluminum pole that i bought at Lowes.

6. Member
    great idea,1800 for powerpole is down right robbery.

1997 Champion 181
    Merc XR6 150

That technique is called spudding

8. Member
    He must not skip docks very much. That thing would get in my way.

$220 for the downright ? . . . . NOT.
    I think there's a Squatch in these woods !
    "I rough talked em"

10. Member
    Cool idea but Im thinking of drawing something up, ill post later....IM INSPIRED

Got my powerpoles for 1200 each. I believe the powerpoles are worth every penny.
    Last edited by ND 2 FISH; 08-31-2012 at 10:07 PM.
    2007 Triton TR20X HP
    Mercury Optimax 225 Pro XS

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ND 2 FISH View Post
    Got my powerpoles for 1200 each. After seeing these awful looking contraptions I am glad I spent the money.
    Congrats, your better then everyone else

13. Banned
    I thought about the fiberglass, but seeing how fiberglass rods break, no thanks. I've used the stainless steel 6ft poles in Louisana and I was sold on it (friends poles on his boat), so for $100 or so, it works for me. Getting my brother a couple of poles for his john boat as we're always fighting the winds trying to get the right position on our catfish spots.

Somewhere between here and there, but not in the middle.
    Ive used a variation this exact thing. I was fishing out of a canoe in a small lake and it was a little breezy. There was nothing to use as an anchor (rocks, cinderblocks, metel, ect) but there was a stack of 6 foot sign posts. Bingo! Tied about 15 feet of rope to the end and made my own, very effective cajun (spudpole) from random items. I agree it's not that pretty looking but there isn't a lot you can do out of a canoe.

2007 Legend Alpha 199 / 225 ProXs

15. Member
    I tie a rope with a loop in it on the 2 front cleets then use 3/4" conduit pipe 6 foot long on each side works great I cut the bottom of pipe at an angel to make it easier to push in and also filled bottom of pipe with liquid foam so water can't get in pipe cost about $15.00
    GOD, FAMILY AND FREEDOM NOTHING ELSE MATTERS!
    If a first you don't succeed "DO IT LIKE YOUR MOTHER TOLD YOU"
    Kenny B 1993 204/09 250 ProSX
    Retired US ARMY

For someone that is sight fishing in grass, hydro, or any other jungle product, this will not work. It will either be dragging the grass with you or will be sicking up in Your face. Power Poles are the way to go. They do expensive but worth every penny. Plus you can put the poles down regardless of where you might be standing on the boat.
    If you want a pig, flip a jig!!!

17. Member

Love the Cajun Anchor

Academy Sports carries the 5 foot for $69 and the 6 foot for $79. Used them for years in the LA Marsh and on the Warrior and Lay Lake in AL. I've held my boats in 8 feet by just chucking it down like a spear. I've fished in grass, too. Just slides right off.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

18. Member
    wow, where do you guys fish? My home lake average depth is 100 ft, 274 in deepest hole, I couldn't even get close enough to the bank to use a pole or a power pole. ha! Here 20 ft from the bank it's 30 ft deep - even in the river area.

19. Banned
    we fish everywhere else you don't

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arrowslinger#1 View Post
    wow, where do you guys fish? My home lake average depth is 100 ft, 274 in deepest hole, I couldn't even get close enough to the bank to use a pole or a power pole. ha! Here 20 ft from the bank it's 30 ft deep - even in the river area.
    then make the trip to any other ky lake besides cumberland and you can find some shallow water!!
    Daniel Day

'95 201 Pro XL
    200 Rude Vindicator