Banned

Update on the Reed Replacement and Fuel Injector Cleaning

Just wanted to give an update on my reed replacement (w/TDR Carbon Fiber Reeds) and the fuel injectors cleaned / calibrated...as I had several members inquire how it was going

The motor is a 1999 Mercury 200EFI. The reed replacement and injector cleaning was done by Mr. Don @ European Marine. I removed the parts and shipped them to Mr. Don. I have been spending the last week or so putting things back together. I have had to IM and call Mr. Don on several occasions to ensure I was doing everything properly and by the book. Mr. Don has been very patient with me, even when I had to ask the same questions over and over

I will say it was a little more difficult than I first thought. It is not simply a remove / replace operation. It seems most if not all my adjustments were off and had to be recalibrate. Not a really hard thing to do, but a bit daunting if it is your first time. I had to resync the throttle cam, idel timing, WOT timing, the auto oil pump and for some reason the throttle cable coming from the Hotfoot to the motor was all out of wack.

I am currently awaiting on more parts from Mr. Don as I had some how got a pin hole in the high pressure fuel injection lines and when the electric fuel pump kicked in it sprayed fuel everywhere Note to those going to under go this operation take extreme caution are with these hoses as an new kit is about ~$110 (for about 10" of hose and 4 clamps).

While waiting for the parts I need to track down a "new" problem. Now my Hotfoot is not working correctly. When I let off the Hotfoot it does not return to idle...not at the hotfoot nor at the engine connection. I am not sure where to start, other than reading Sherm's tip on installing a Hotfoot. I guess I will take everything apart and start with making sure the cable moves freely then try to start trouble shooting from there. I will say this, it has been an adventure for sure It may never run again, but it is not from lack of effort and not from bugging the crap out of Mr. Don I am sure he is about to block my phone number.

Anyways...this is where I am at and I will update later when / if I ever get it running again.

Tom

2. Member

Re: Update on the Reed Replacement and Fuel Injector Cleaning (Lockon)

Try to losen up on the throtle arm screw pivot point. Also check to make sure that your fuel line is not restricting the throtle arm movement.

3. Banned

Re: Update on the Reed Replacement and Fuel Injector Cleaning (gettnet)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by gettnet &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Try to losen up on the throtle arm screw pivot point. Also check to make sure that your fuel line is not restricting the throtle arm movement.</td></tr></table>

"throttle arm screw pivot point?" Is that on the Hotfoot side or the motor side? I will double check the "restriction" and free movement of the cable itself tonight when I get home...thanks for the tips

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Tom:

Glad to hear you're moving along with it.

Sorry you had to break down and buy the fuel lines (I know, a little birdy recommended it, right)

Your situation with the hotfoot IS NOT related to the PIVOT SCREW (<u>please</u> don't mess with that... you'll likely be back to square ONE again).

Adjust the THROTTLE CABLE per the directions in your service manual- and make sure it's ATTACHED to the throttle arm properly (and that it retains the throttle arm all the way back against the idle stop screw, at the BOTTOM of the arm).

Let me know if you need further assistance!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Banned

Re: Update on the Reed Replacement and Fuel Injector Cleaning (EuropeanAM)

Thanks for all the help...think I found the problem with the throttle return. There was a small burr on the brass part of the throttle linkage which I think was causing it to hang on the plastic sleeve. I took some emery cloth and smoothed it up. Set just a little more spring tension at the Hotfoot and now it seems good to go.

Also Mr. Don, don't know if Ms. Rhonda told you but I called back yesterday and ordered the TSP Test Harness...as tight as thing are and as all the wires are taped together I just did not trust trying to rig some wires together and taking the chance of shorting out the TSP No telling how much one of those cost

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Rhonda did mention that to me... she wanted to make sure I could live without one for a couple days (so she could send it to you).

That's probably a wise investment... as you'll want to check the TPS setting as part of your Annual Maintenance each year.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Banned

Re: Update on the Reed Replacement and Fuel Injector Cleaning (EuropeanAM)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by EuropeanAM &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Rhonda did mention that to me... she wanted to make sure I could live without one for a couple days (so she could send it to you).

That's probably a wise investment... as you'll want to check the TPS setting as part of your Annual Maintenance each year.

</td></tr></table>

No that is customer service....taking from you personal inventory to assist a customer

8. Member

Any Updates??
    2017 Ranger Z520C / Mercury 250 ProXS 2S

9. Banned

Re: Update on the Reed Replacement and Fuel Injector Cleaning (Mark Wendler)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Mark Wendler &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Any Updates?? </td></tr></table>

Got the high pressure fuel line kit and TPS wire harness from Mr. Don on Tuesday. I started replacing the high pressure fuel line last night and discovered I had a hole in the vacuum line that runs in to the fuel pressure regulator. Took that line off and the bleed line that was next to it.....got the new lines at NAPA this morning.

I hope to get the high pressure fuel lines and the vacuum lines put on tonight and tomorrow evening pull the boat out of the shop to re-set the WOT timing...Mr. Don finally got it through my thick skull that I was setting the WOT (at cranking speed) all wrong

Once that is done I will attempt to start her up for the first time since under going this operation. It has been a learning experience for sure and several FedEx boxes from Mr. Don

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Tom- I'm impressed that you're taking the time to carefully inspect your lines, etc.

The end result should be an engine that performs VERY well.

Let me know if you have any questions today (phone would be the best option today).