Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: Mercurys take on Ethanol blended fuel (blackram)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by blackram &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

Why would this be harmgul to our boat motors but not to 2-stroke lawn equipment?</td></tr></table>

It's really NOT any better for your lawn equipment.... just that <u>most</u> "end user" lawn equipment is far less expensive.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member

Re: Mercurys take on Ethanol blended fuel (EuropeanAM)

i accidentally put 20 gallons of gas in my diesel before i realized their green handle did not mean diesel...lol. the truck probably had 4 gallons in it of diesel when i started. i drained it all out and that mowed the grass for a good while. little smoky on the startup...LOL

I siphoned the gas out of my boat when I bought it and called the local city motor pool. They let me take the fuel to them and they disposed of it for me in their disposal tank.
    2021 Vexus AVX 181, Mercury 60CT 4S, MK Ultrex, HB Helix 7 MSI and MDI

4. Member

Re: (Stratos92)

How long will gas still be good if you use the fuel cocktail? My boat has been down for about 5 months, had problems with the lower unit and didn't get it all burned out. I probably have 15 gals left, I hate to waste the gas with prices so high but don't want to hurt my engine. I was thinking unhook fuel line and put in filler cap and "circulate" the fuel to make sure it is mixed up. Would that be ok? should I add more sea foam?
    Robert

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: (884 savage)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by 884 savage &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">How long will gas still be good if you use the fuel cocktail? My boat has been down for about 5 months, had problems with the lower unit and didn't get it all burned out. I probably have 15 gals left, I hate to waste the gas with prices so high but don't want to hurt my engine. I was thinking unhook fuel line and put in filler cap and "circulate" the fuel to make sure it is mixed up. Would that be ok? should I add more sea foam?</td></tr></table>

Unstabilized fuel begins to degrade at 15 DAYS.

Properly stabilized.... in most cases, fuel is good for 90 days. Beyond that, I would strongly urge you to drain the tank (burn it in your vehicle or lawn equipment)... and start with FRESH fuel in your boat.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member

Re: (EuropeanAM)

I forgot to mention that my gas has 50 to 1 ratio mercury syn. oil in it. Has anyone. Had any luck burning that mixture in a larger lawn mower or smaller for that matter, I use both. I have a High priced John Deere mower since I have over three acres to mow (yes it takes away time from fishing but thats life).
    Robert

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: (884 savage)

I've used 50:1 premix in both 4-stroke and 2-stroke lawn equipment over the years (disposing of older fuel this way). Just keep in mind- if your 2-stroke lawn equipment calls for a different ratio, you'll have to compensate with an appropriate amount of additional oil.

Have also run some through older (non-catalyst) vehicles.

8. Banned

Re: (EuropeanAM)

Info above is great all you need to know is ETHANOL SUCKS and so does a Government at rams it up our bass hole with our money

Modified by Rangerman at 8:49 PM 3/19/2011

9. Banned

Re: (Rangerman)

AGREED!!!!!

10. Member
    Can marine stabil be used in a 2012 175 pro xs ?

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: (Thereject)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Thereject &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Can marine stabil be used in a 2012 175 pro xs ?</td></tr></table>

See the following post for recommendations specific to your Optimax Engine:

http://www.bbcboards.net/mercury-3-l...d-02-12-a.html
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 06-23-2012 at 09:40 AM.

12. Member
    That link is no longer good! I have a 225 Optimas Pro XS and I'm of course interested!

13. Member
    Thanks to the problems with the fuel (lousy featherbedding polititcians pushing corn by product into the petroleum market) making it a necessity for procuring fuel extraction equiptment. Also, the hassles of the exotic mussels (a gift from the Russions by way of their bilge dumping procedures in our waters), makes you wonder if the sport that I love is worth it!!

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWV520 View Post
    That link is no longer good! I have a 225 Optimas Pro XS and I'm of course interested!
    Link repaired:

http://www.bbcboards.net/mercury-3-l...d-02-12-a.html

15. david h
    hey don, i talked to you earlier about the carbon fiber piece to go around my 200 optimax and you said to give you serial number to make sure they would fit so my seriial number is 18446935 dated nov 2006 optimax 200...if this will work how much is and who do i send check to? david hall

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by david h View Post
    hey don, i talked to you earlier about the carbon fiber piece to go around my 200 optimax and you said to give you serial number to make sure they would fit so my seriial number is 18446935 dated nov 2006 optimax 200...if this will work how much is and who do i send check to? david hall
    David:

Sherm @ Sherm's Marine (or we) would be more than happy to assist you with parts.

Email or Phone are the BEST means of contacting the Parts Departments.

BTW... really not related to the topic of this post.

17. Member
    Great information. I have an 1985 175 Black Max. I installed a separator. But according to line 13, it is not necessary. Does this take into account older outboards as well? I don't have any filtration on my motor, besides the small screen in the fuel pump. I recently rebuilt and updated everything in the fuel stream and want to make sure I'm getting the best I can out of this old Mercury. Any advise is appreciated.

13. Should I add an additional fine-micron filter to the system to prevent debris from entering the engine?

The addition of another filter to the system will create another possible flow restriction that can starve the engine of fuel. Mercury already provides the appropriate level of filtration to protect the engine from debris.
    Arnold Custom Cabinets
    214-931-8647

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TX Cranker View Post
    Great information. I have an 1985 175 Black Max. I installed a separator. But according to line 13, it is not necessary. Does this take into account older outboards as well? I don't have any filtration on my motor, besides the small screen in the fuel pump. I recently rebuilt and updated everything in the fuel stream and want to make sure I'm getting the best I can out of this old Mercury. Any advise is appreciated.

13. Should I add an additional fine-micron filter to the system to prevent debris from entering the engine?

The addition of another filter to the system will create another possible flow restriction that can starve the engine of fuel. Mercury already provides the appropriate level of filtration to protect the engine from debris.
    Good idea to open a separate thread for your specific engine question. In YOUR case, I would consider an external Water Separating Cannister Filter, which would need to be kept changed VERY regularly (at least seasonally). Use straight barb fittings (no 90 degree turns added).

19. Member
    Thanks Euro. I did add an external 90 GPH sierra kit with straight barbs a couple months back when I updated everything. I guess I should've read that line 13 better as it states "Additional". If I have any further concerns, I'll start a new thread. Thanks again.

Arnold Custom Cabinets
    214-931-8647

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123