Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member

Re: Mercurys take on Ethanol blended fuel (MIsland)

would it happen to be a black 95' cobra convertable.... XJHEAD?

Re: Mercurys take on Ethanol blended fuel (skeetersx200)

i found that a product called "Sea-Foam" worked well. the merc verado 150 i have is a very finicky motor. the ethanol in the system just creates a world of problems. i would recommend filling with premium fuel that doesnt contain any ethanol.

3. Member

Re: Mercurys take on Ethanol blended fuel (mgavrailoff)

I have a 1991 merc 150 xr4 black max with a few mods. It has last years gas in it. Should i drain it and let it dry, and put a new filter on it. Then when i put the new gas in, there's something two put in the gas so it doesn't burn up my motor, is that right?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: Mercurys take on Ethanol blended fuel (91shadow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91shadow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 1991 merc 150 xr4 black max with a few mods. It has last years gas in it. Should i drain it and let it dry, and put a new filter on it. Then when i put the new gas in, there's something two put in the gas so it doesn't burn up my motor, is that right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The "Safe Bet" is to drain, and start with a "fresh load of fuel".

If your engine is now a "pre-mix" (oil injection removed), add 50:1 mix to the tank.

Also recommend some fuel system stabilizer... such as Mercury's Fuel System Treatment and Stabilizer, or "Marine Stabil".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member

Re: Mercurys take on Ethanol blended fuel (Dbl00CustomBaits)

good read

Re: Mercurys take on Ethanol blended fuel (moreheadsaebass)

Does anyone know if there is YET a fuel additive that is safe to run in our mercs? I have a 1996 Merc EFI. I am still confused a little about the fuel I should put in it. 87 or 89 octane? What if any additive or stabilizer should I be running? I winterize with Seafoam and run Merc's Quickleen when filling up in the summer.

7. Member

Re: Mercurys take on Ethanol blended fuel (blazin461)

I have a 97 Mariner EFI 150 and my mechanic notes that 87/low-octane and 91+ high-octane are both LEAST desirable. Instead, mid-grade (89 here) is the most 'pure' form of fuel of the 3 grades. Use it.

8. Member

Re: Mercurys take on Ethanol blended fuel (skeeterlesssx200)

The good news is I read the E-15 issue has been tabled until a later date because of concerns about damage to engines. I read the issue will be reopened later after more study has been given to the issue. So we dodged the first bullett get ready and stay vigilant folks...
    1999 Astro 1800 DC
    150 HP Optimax W/Tempest Plus 23P
    Mansfield, Arkansas
    Grand Lake of the Cherokees
    Proud to be a Carolina Hooker!!

\"http://www.CarolinaHookers.org\"
    http://www.nutsandboltsfishing.com/smf/index.php

i have a 86 model merc xr2 magnum how will the ethanol affect my engine will it tear stuff up or not ........should i use some sta-bill marine or not just wondering what i need to do to keep my engine running for a while
    2017 BCB Eyra
    250 Pro XS
    Contemplating a 300R

Serenity is falling asleep in the boat while getting a bite
    Big Bear Fishing Rods

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: Mercurys take on Ethanol blended fuel (spiffey28694)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spiffey28694 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a 86 model merc xr2 magnum how will the ethanol affect my engine will it tear stuff up or not ........should i use some sta-bill marine or not just wondering what i need to do to keep my engine running for a while</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your engine is not nearly as "resistant to ethanol" (compared to newer models).

There are some things you CAN do (aside from the obvious one of monitoring what fuel you use):

-Replace main fuel line from tank to engine with EPA Approved fuel line and primer bulb. I'd recommend only the OEM Mercury/Quicksilver fuel line & bulb here... and make sure it's the gray line with BLUE PRINT (not red print).

-Replace fuel filter ANNUALLY, and inspect fuel lines on a REGULAR BASIS for leaks, cracks or other signs of deterioration.

-Rebuild pulse fuel pump. Most of the newer diaphrams are more ethanol resistant than those in use when your engine was built.

-You "could" consider rebuilding the carbs with newer needle/seat/gaskets. Again, these components are "more ethanol resistant".

Sherm @ Sherm's Marine (or I) would be more than happy to assist you with the items you would need for these endeavors....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Re: Mercurys take on Ethanol blended fuel (EuropeanAM)

also what octane of fuel should i use. i now use 93 and it seems to be doing great......
    2017 BCB Eyra
    250 Pro XS
    Contemplating a 300R

Serenity is falling asleep in the boat while getting a bite
    Big Bear Fishing Rods

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: Mercurys take on Ethanol blended fuel (spiffey28694)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spiffey28694 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also what octane of fuel should i use. i now use 93 and it seems to be doing great......</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would recommend MID GRADE FUEL as a good choice for your engine (or 87 octane, provided it will be completely run out within a short period of time... such as 15 days or less).

Don/Sherm,

I have a 98 150 carb. I can get ethanol free 93 octane premium in my area. Am I better off to run the ethanol free fuel, or run a 89 mid grade and add Marine Stabil or the new Starbrite product?

Thanks!

Jim
    None (I miss my 215 Combo!...sob!)

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: Mercurys take on Ethanol blended fuel (215Combo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 215Combo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don/Sherm,

I have a 98 150 carb. I can get ethanol free 93 octane premium in my area. Am I better off to run the ethanol free fuel, or run a 89 mid grade and add Marine Stabil or the new Starbrite product?

Thanks!

Jim</TD></TR></TABLE>

For that engine, I would recommend the mid-grade, as long as the ethanol content is BELOW 10%. Very unusual to find 93 octane with "zero ethanol content".... but not impossible.

The 93 is simply too much octane for this engine, and will likely result in decreased performance, and potential carbon buildup.

The 89 octane mid grade around here has 10% ethanol in it. Will this be OK?

I plan on using your "fuel cocktail" (as provided in another thread) starting today.

None (I miss my 215 Combo!...sob!)

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: Mercurys take on Ethanol blended fuel (215Combo)

You can actually "test" the ethanol content. Pump postings mean "can be up to X%".

We carry a nice little inexpensive test kit (easy to carry in the boat with you).

You engine will "tolerate" up to 10%. Doesn't mean it will "like it".... however.

17. Member

I'm in Iowa and the guys here told me to use 87 octane (10% ethanol) and put in some stabil or seafoam at least every other tank. I put it in every tank and mix it myself (disabled the auto mixer).

Now here's my sell on seafoam. I have an industrial tractor that gets run occasionally with minimal fuel kept in the tank (89 octane) because people like to siphon it if it's full. Last winter, and other winters, at some point it would start to run rough which I am now sure of being due to water that reached the sediment bulb. I figured rather than take it all apart like I had in the past to clean it out, I would just try the seafoam and see what happened. What happened is in about 5 minutes the rough running cleared itself up and after about 30 minutes it actually idled on a low idle; something I've had problems with for some time now. Call it a fluke, but I'm sold. Between stabil and seafoam for long term storage, there's not much more a guy can do except drain the tank. The the question is, what do you do with the old fuel? (Legally).

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: Mercurys take on Ethanol blended fuel (bluejay-)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by bluejay- &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">The the question is, what do you do with the old fuel? (Legally).</td></tr></table>

Lawn equipment!

19. Member

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by skeeterlesssx200 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
    11. Are older fuel lines prone to failure? What about gaskets?
    During the 1980s, many rubber components for use in fuel systems were developed to withstand exposure to fuels containing ethanol. If rubber components in a fuel system are suspected to be of this vintage or older it may be advisable to replace them with newer ethanol-safe components before using fuels containing ethanol. Check with the manufacturer for advice or frequently inspect these fuel-system components for signs of swelling or deterioration and replace if problems are noted.
    </td></tr></table>

Anybody reading this should check out this thread. http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=526471 Seems that there is a new (2010) EPA Approved fuel line out. Even lines thought to be okay should be replaced.
    2003 520VX 225 Optimax

20. Member

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by EuropeanAM &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

Lawn equipment!

</td></tr></table>

Why would this be harmgul to our boat motors but not to 2-stroke lawn equipment?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast