Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member

Opti was under temp and I knew what was wrong because of this post

I had read this post a couple weeks ago. I always let my Opti 225 warm to 110 on the smartcraft guage before running it but 2 days ago during a Tx prefish, before the last run of the day, the engine wouldn't warm up over 78 in 55 degree water. Eased it back to the ramp and put it on the trailer, pulled the cover and backed it back in on the trailer and ran it for about 5 minutes. Pulled back out and felt both heads, the right bank was much cooler.
    Pulled the t-stat on the right head and there was a mesquite thorn stuck in it! The pointed end went right thru the gap in the t-stat but nub end was too big and jammed it in there. This desert lake came up about 50' last spring and there's lots of new brush, trees and cactus disintegrating now and somehow this thorn worked it's way up to the t-stat. Makes me wonder why something big enough to stick in the t-stat would be able to get into the engine?
    Thanks for your post Sherm, I had a good idea what was wrong before I even got back to the ramp and it made diagnosis and repair a snap!

2. Member
    Sherm, I have a 2002 XB250. Am I capable with this motor?

3. Member

Re: (Blaze250)

Sherm or others may not notice your post since it is already pinned to the top. I think the 2002 and later EFI's are SmartCraft ready. I know the Opti's are. If so you should have the SmartCraft emblem on the back of your cowl. My 02 Opti does.

4. Member

Re: (HighFiveBassin)

I have an 01 Opti with the symbol on the motor and just had OPTI install the sc 1000 gauge on mine...( used it yesterday in 25 to 30 degree temps and still managed around 122 degree temps on the monitor) Nice safeguard !!

5. Member

Re: Cold running an Optimax (Lea)

I just purchased a new boat with a 150opti 2006, ideling around temp was 120-140 dgr, running around about 4500rpms runs at 80-82 dgr in 45 dgr water nevr gets any warmer, stop the boat engine temp goes right back to 120-140 this is after an hour of running time, I ran it at wide open for a minute but didt notice but a little warmer. A little concerened I called The tecks at the Mercury factary and they said " this is perfectly normal and how it should be on my particular engine" they also said "the trhermastat regulates the temp at idel but at full throtal a valve open up and bypasses the thermastat" this is on a 2006 150 Opti. Dave

6. Moderator

Re: (Blaze250)

No, the xb250 is not compatable with smart craft.

7. Member

Re: Cold running an Optimax (shermsmarine)

Yep, great info just al little late. I have a 05 225 opti , blasted off got up to 5000 rpm and slung a rod through the powerhead. the mecanic said it was probbably cold seize, that was the fist I heard of it. I'll warm her up next time,

8. Member

Re: Cold running an Optimax (sctr21x)

Why does this seem to be a sole Mercury issue?? I never hear anything about the other brands having this problem. I understand any of them would blow if not warmed up all the way but mainly with the stuck thermostats. Seems like that is biting alot of guys. Luckily alot of guys are catching it before having a major issue. I am just a little worried. Just picked up the new Champ with a 225 pro XS. I never took the cover of my last engine(not a Merc) unless I was changing plugs. Now I feel like I might need to be pulling things out of my thermostats quite often. I do alot of running in shallow water and river stuff. Should I be worried. Its an 06'

9. Member

Re: Cold running an Optimax (Eronningen)

Anybody????

10. Member

This does include older motors I have a 99 175efi. Do i need to be carefull also during cold water running
    Bass Cat Puma FTD Mercury 250 Pro Xs
    ......................................<u>Motorguid e, Abu Garcia, Pflueger, Toyota Trucks, Cooks Go-to-Tackle System</u>............................................

11. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar

"Is cold running only a Mercury problem?" That is a good question. Does anybody know?

12. Member

Regarding other motors, I owned a 175 Evinrude intruder (1992) great engine, never a problem. It did have one feature I did not like. It ran at fast idle for several minutes until the temp came up. manual said not to shift until the rpms dropped after intial starting. So at a tourney, i had to wait after coming off the trailer while the black engine boys dropped her in and went.

13. Member

Re: Cold running an Optimax (appraiserbuddy)

Eronnigen,
    Running any engine in shallow water which is full of debris simply requires that you monitor your water pressure and engine temperature carefully. You shouldn't be worried, but you should just keep an eye on things when you are in extreme conditions.
    The thermostats do a pretty good job of keeping things flowing, but, if you are in some really bad stuff, some debris could work its way up to the stat. Just keep an eye on her when your in the nasty stuff, especially if your are "blasting" your way out of shallow, mucky water.
    You will love that motor and boat combination!!!!!

14. Member

Re: Cold running an Optimax (mark)

Thanks for the reply. This isn't my first go around but it is my first Mercury. I maybe got overly worried based on all I have read, mainly on this site about plug thermostats. My prior engine was an Evinrude 200. I ran that through plenty of gunk and never had a problem. I guess I was wondering if I should worrry more with this new Merc. I thought maybe it was more fussy. But based on some of these comments now I guess I will do what I do.

15. Member

Is it that hard to take the thermostats off to check them, do I need a seal kit to put them back on, I believe my opti must have something stuck in there because mine wont get over 90 deg at idle , and at wot it runs 115 deg, this is on a 05' 200 opti, when it get down to around 80 deg the check engine alarm comes on.It always used to get up to 120 - 130 deg at idle. thanks

16. Member

Re: Cold running an Optimax (CASEY G)

It does sound like you have something stuck in your thermostats. I have had this happen on my 02 Opti. My understanding from reading here is the newer Opti's will send an alarm or fault code if, at idle the engine will not warm up after several minutes. The thermostat on the right head is probably the one stuck because that is where the sending unit is that gives you the reading on the Smartcraft. Touch both heads and you can easily feel the difference in temps. I would get the gaskets before removing the thermostat cover as you may rip one taking the cover off. On the right bank you will probably have to loosen the 2 bolts on the fuel rail some to lift the rail up a little to get one of the screws out that holds the thermostat cover on.

17. Member

Re: Cold running an Optimax (HighFiveBassin)

thanks, and yes it was the right one. thanks again

18. Member

Re: Cold running an Optimax (CASEY G)

Hey guys I'm new to BBC...

Is this just a merc dfi problem? I have an '03 90 merc carb motor and I have always let it warm up first thing in the morning, but after that i usually just drop the hammer & drive. Even if I've been fishing for a while. Usually it doesn't idle to warm up as long as in the am. I do a lot of cold wheather fishing- usually until the water gets stiff!!

Any ideas if cold sieze is a problem with the carb motors??

Tim Bertrand
    Columbus, OH
    03 Ranger R61 / 90 Merc

19. Member

Re: Cold running an Optimax (timbit)

Is there anyway to tell the temp besides a smartcraft? Are they easy to install or should a dealer do it?

20. Member

The Smartcraft tachs will read water temperature along with a lot of other items.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast