Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eliteangler View Post
    Question to Sherm... Are the temps you are describing in C or F? My mercmonitor is shown in Celcius. Can this be changed on a Mercmonitor Data Level 1? Thanks again!
    Sam:

Temps described in this post are "F".

See response to your other question in your PM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    My Opti is a 2007, 75 HP- does this cold running info apply to it? My owners manual says for the first hour of break-in, warm up 30-60 seconds. There is no other mention of this warm-up. Thanks

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassenstose View Post
    My Opti is a 2007, 75 HP- does this cold running info apply to it? My owners manual says for the first hour of break-in, warm up 30-60 seconds. There is no other mention of this warm-up. Thanks
    Your engine needs to reach at least 120 degrees before accelerating, just like described (repeatedly) above.

If you'll note, the very next statement (in your manual) says not to idle for more than 5 minutes. That's because your engine should REACH 120 degrees, within 5 minutes of startup (if not, it's likely there's a thermostat problem).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    First, many thanks for your expertise! Have a 2011 225 Pro XS. Notice today after proper warm up and run that as I let it cool down that the temp (by SmartCraft) dropped to 104. I was a long way from home and idled home for 45 minutes--the temp the entire time was 100-104. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow assuming that there's a thermostat problem. The motor has 130 hours on it (110 when I bought it used). I am going to have the dealer do all of the recommended maintenance. Are there any additional test I should request to see if there was any damage to motor? In your experience do you think any harm would have been done?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Have them check the thermostats- one or both are likely sticking open due to debris.

A compression test (or better yet, a leakdown test) is always a good measure of the engine's current condition.

6. Member
    Hi guys, first time poster. Great forum by the way

I have a 2009 150hp Opti, question relating to operating temperatures (in Celsius)
    Water temp 21c (69d), Motor temp at anything above 5knots is 33-38c (95d), at idle a temp of 68-70c (155-159d)

My question is how long can the motor sustain a operating temp of 68-70c, reason for question is I do a bit of slow trolling of live baits at just above idle speed.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by otdrmn View Post
    Hi guys, first time poster. Great forum by the way

I have a 2009 150hp Opti, question relating to operating temperatures (in Celsius)
    Water temp 21c (69d), Motor temp at anything above 5knots is 33-38c (95d), at idle a temp of 68-70c (155-159d)

My question is how long can the motor sustain a operating temp of 68-70c, reason for question is I do a bit of slow trolling of live baits at just above idle speed.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
    Welcome to BBC!

68-70c (155-159 F) is within the acceptable range for this engine at idle (though it's on the high-side).

VERIFY WATER PRESSURE at idle and WOT. If your water pump has not been REPLACED in the last 364 days... now would be the time to do so. Pay SPECIAL attention to the gasket UNDER the impeller plate (may be torn/broken).

Keep in mind... temps will fall rapidly as soon as water pressure reaches approximately 6-7 psi (not far above idle).

8. Member
    Great info guys. Just to reiterate all of this info and make sure I'm clearly understanding it. I want to idle after putting my boat in the water til my temp reaches 120F. This will keep from getting a "Cold Seize". After this I can ease into the throttle and get on pad which will drop my temp alittle but the "stat" will help it maintain a relatively steady temp. If I start to see that my temp has fallen and will not rise back up, to say back above 80F or 90F, I most likely have either something stuck holding my thermostat open or just a thermostat failure of some sort. I have the Smart Craft gauges on my 2007 250 Pro XS. I currently keep it so I can see the Water PSI. Should I change this to the TEMP setting?

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cwill View Post
    Great info guys. Just to reiterate all of this info and make sure I'm clearly understanding it. I want to idle after putting my boat in the water til my temp reaches 120F. This will keep from getting a "Cold Seize". After this I can ease into the throttle and get on pad which will drop my temp alittle but the "stat" will help it maintain a relatively steady temp. If I start to see that my temp has fallen and will not rise back up, to say back above 80F or 90F, I most likely have either something stuck holding my thermostat open or just a thermostat failure of some sort. I have the Smart Craft gauges on my 2007 250 Pro XS. I currently keep it so I can see the Water PSI. Should I change this to the TEMP setting?
    Your understanding is correct UP UNTIL you begin to go on plane.

Thermostats control engine temp AT IDLE (ONLY). Once you begin to plane off (approximately 7 psi water pressure) the poppet valve OPENS, allowing a straight-through flow of water. Hence, on plane temps will vary IMMENSELY, depending on load and lake water temp.

When you come OFF plane (back to idle), water pressure falls, the poppet valve CLOSES, and the thermostats again regain control of coolant flow (begin to control engine temp again). At this point- you should allow the engine to idle long enough to ensure it has STABILIZED at thermostatic (120+ degree) temp, prior to shutdown.

Not sure what Smartcraft Instrument you are utilizing... but it would be PREFERABLE to be monitoring BOTH Coolant Temp -AND- Water Pressure (most instruments can accomplish this... the EXCEPTION would be the old System Monitor, which only displays one data item at a time).

10. Member
    Does this tell you anytihng?20150302_152059-1.jpg

11. Member

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That is not a Smartcraft Instrument (it's actually an Actia Gauge, that Champion was using).

I've gotta ask. 2008 200 opti. Warmed up to 120 degrees in 59 degree water. Accelerated and temps stayed steady and rose to 127 degrees. No drop in temps. . 20 psi water on analog gauge at 5000 rpm. Decelerated and temps rose to 136 degrees. I dropped it at the dealer to inspect thermostats, poppet, strainer for compressor. Am I being paranoid or was I justified in a service call. New water pump installed last fall with 1.3 hours on it also. Temps via sc-1000 smart craft gauge.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 196 Bobby View Post
    I've gotta ask. 2008 200 opti. Warmed up to 120 degrees in 59 degree water. Accelerated and temps stayed steady and rose to 127 degrees. No drop in temps. . 20 psi water on analog gauge at 5000 rpm. Decelerated and temps rose to 136 degrees. I dropped it at the dealer to inspect thermostats, poppet, strainer for compressor. Am I being paranoid or was I justified in a service call. New water pump installed last fall with 1.3 hours on it also. Temps via sc-1000 smart craft gauge.
    Good topic for a SEPARATE thread (including your engine information/serial number).

Also, be sure to provide the water pressure (in separate thread) for:

-IDLE SPEED (when engine was at 136 degrees)
    -WOT (FULL RPM's... boat at maximum speed, not partial throttle).

15. Member
    This is the first year I have been able to use the boat when the temps have dropped. Although I was aware of this thread I never went through it like I did today. Very helpful info.

I will install a SmartCraft gauge, but until I get that done I will need to take it easy and be careful to idle for a while. Current water temps near me are 45 degrees. After a run about how long does it take for the temps to drop? If I am fishing for a while and want to move do I need to idle for 4 minutes or will there be enough residual heat?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Difficult to answer accurately, as it will depend on YOUR thermostats, their condition, whether they have debris in them, and the water temps.

In a perfect world, at your water temps, APPROXIMATELY:

5 minutes on a COLD START

60 seconds idle after coming off plane (before shutdown).

However, without a Smartcraft Instrument to monitor, you're really "flying blind" (and the engine's PCM is limited to sending you "smoke signals").

17. Member
    So after reading this entire thread, there are numerous references to pebbles, chunks of wood, and other debris being stuck in thermostats. Is there any any reason why Mercury does not have inlet screens in the water intake on the lower unit? The first thing I noticed on my Opti are the inlet holes are large and no screen. I have had both Yamaha and Evinrude outboards, both use screens in the lower unit, and I have never found or had to pull debris of that size out of the thermostats and I have found the bottom on more than one occasion. It seems the solution for improved thermostat reliability already exists, curious why Mercury doesn't chose to employ it.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Side intakes are very different from LOW WATER INTAKES.

Installing a screen in this type of application would result in blockage plugging of the water INLET (which in turn would cause overheating, as well as a possibility of water pump damage).

This has been discussed at great length on the 3L forum, several times.

19. Member
    I have a 2005 XR6 - I do not beleive it is smartcraft capable. What are the aftermarket options to get temps on both banks?

thanx
    Jack

2005 Ranger 520 DX
    2005 Mercury 225 Optimax Pro XS
    Mercury Trophy 24
    Mk Ultrex 110 Ipilot link
    Powerpole 8'
    Hb helix 9 di S/N
    Hb helix 10 si. S/N
    Garmin 10 UHD W/ Panoptix

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please open a separate thread for your engine/question. Thanks!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast