Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
  1. Member

Re: (EuropeanAM)

Why are these engines having so many problems with debris sticking in the thermostats. If I idle my 2007 opti 200 in anything shallower than 2 feet of water one of my t-stats sticks open and it will not get to operating temp. I took my thermostats out 7 times last year to remove small pieces of wood, weeds, or sand. Thats ridiculous!!! Last I checked this is an Outboard Engine... you know a motor designed to run in shallow water. Has this been a problem in all Merc outboards forever or just since the smartcraft guage came out to tattle tale the temperature. Anyone who doesnt have this guage doesnt even know they have stuck stats until their motor seizes.
    2018 X21 Pro
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    12" Hydraulic Atlas
    Minn Kota 112# Ultrex

2. Member

I posted a Thank you, but the change to .net lost it. You were right I cleaned the stats they were blocked by stones ,When I called Lybacks Marine to see if they had gaskets Eddie told me about the screen on the port side under the cowl .I checked it out it was almost plugged . I removed the stats the screen put the flush attachment on and cleaned out all of the debris . pressure is good temp is good ,Thanks Again

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: (gr8basser)

Read your owner's manual.... I have NEVER seen an owner's manual for ANY marine engine that recommends operation in shallow-debris filled water.

Not at all trying to be "smart" here.... but if you look at the cooling system, and it's function (pumping WATER through the engine to cool it), it simply stands to reason that wood chunks or pebbles will cause a problem.

You certainly wouldn't fill the radiator on your vehicle with "mulch" or "play sand and rocks", right?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Re: Cold running an Optimax (shermsmarine)

I new this because I used to race motocross and I had to warm up my KX250 so the radiators were good and warm or you would cold seize it so I figured the same for two stroke outboards even though they do have thermostats I warm mine up for at least 8 to 10 minutes then I know I'm safe then run around the lake at around 2200 rpm for awhile then let er rip!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Member
    My PSI at idle is around 1 or .8 psi. I am wondering if the screen could be clogged.

Last week when I pulling the kids around on the tube for a couple hours the motor stayed between 140 and 150 degrees. Although one time it did get up to 185 but then quickly dropped back down.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: (mobowhunter)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by mobowhunter &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">My PSI at idle is around 1 or .8 psi. I am wondering if the screen could be clogged.

Last week when I pulling the kids around on the tube for a couple hours the motor stayed between 140 and 150 degrees. Although one time it did get up to 185 but then quickly dropped back down.</td></tr></table>

You might want to open a new topic on your problem for further assistance.

When chasing down overheating problems (and you ARE overheating), ALWAYS, ALWAYS start at the SOURCE (the water pump).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by EuropeanAM &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

You might want to open a new topic on your problem for further assistance.

When chasing down overheating problems (and you ARE overheating), ALWAYS, ALWAYS start at the SOURCE (the water pump).

</td></tr></table>

will do, thanks.

8. Member

Re: (mobowhunter)

I have a 2002 250 XB Pro and know it isn't capable with the SmartCraft. What is the preferred water temp gauge and is it a easy DIY?

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: (Dite)

Most any marine-rated water temp gauge will work with your XB. The "tan" wire at the dash is the temp sender wire (you'll also need to make sure it's connected at the engine... where the ignition switch harness (cannon plug) connects to the engine harness (bullet-connector jumper plug).

10. Member

i think i have a bad thermostat. my engine never reached over 73 degrees last weekend after warm up and running very easy for 5 or 6 mins. i have a 225 opti 2003 model. i need to fix this issue this week as i have a tournament this wknd. is this a hard task to do yourself? any help would be appreciated. thanks

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: (bigredglass)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by bigredglass &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">i think i have a bad thermostat. my engine never reached over 73 degrees last weekend after warm up and running very easy for 5 or 6 mins. i have a 225 opti 2003 model. i need to fix this issue this week as i have a tournament this wknd. is this a hard task to do yourself? any help would be appreciated. thanks</td></tr></table>

Give me a holler- by phone. I'll be glad to give you some pointers.... and if you're uncomfortable trying it yourself- we could probably work you in TODAY.

12. Member

just got the message tonight. i will definitely call you in the a.m. thanks a lot, JOSH

13. Member

I work with a bunch of men who do not believe me about the problems when not letting the engines get up to temp, i mean running in cold cold water, where is the manual documents on this? they want me to prove what i am saying, its is wrong, but i need to find this info, i see it here on the forum but i need something more official, any suggestions??

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: Cold running an Optimax (navyladytech)

Although there are a few references in Service Manuals.... most of this is covered in Mercury Technician training classes and "Tech Guides". Over, and over.... we're instructed to "Start the engine, and allow it to idle until it reaches OPERATING TEMPERATURE".

I heard one say to warm the motor up at idle while in gear. Is that true? Why in gear?

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: (bass1958)

Putting the engine in gear would increase the "load" on the engine (likely shortening the period of time needed for warmup).

Not really required that the engine be in gear.... just that it indeed comes up to temperature.

17. Member

And to think the guys at the ramp give me a hard time for letting her run for a good while before launch. I always knew I was doing the right thing.

18. Member
    I just purchased a boat with a '99 225 Optimax on it. I would like to install a temp guage on both heads. I looked up the part numbers for the guage listed on page 1 of this thread and it no longer matches for a guage. Does anyone know what the new part number would be or know what I need all together to get some temp readouts off of each head?

Thanks..

Fish
    AK Outdoors Pro Staff
    Limit Out Baits Pro Staff
    Hawg Pours Pro Staff
    American Baitworks Pro Staff
    Helix 12 SI w/ 360, Helix 10 Mega SI, 798ci HDSI
    ’99 Procraft 205 Pro DC '09 Evinrude 225 HO Etec
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: (Fisher Man)

Invalid Part Number (wasn't typed in correctly).

Sherm @ Sherm's Marine (or I) would be happy to assist you with this... but it would be preferable to have a picture of your dash (so a close match to your current instruments can be made).

Email or Phone are the BEST means of contacting the Parts Department(s).

Question to Sherm... Are the temps you are describing in C or F? My mercmonitor is shown in Celcius. Can this be changed on a Mercmonitor Data Level 1? Thanks again!
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X