Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Member

Re: Cold running an Optimax (Lea)

Very interesting. I have a '06 Opti now, had a '02 Opti before, and I've always let them get above 120 F before taking off. However, I fish a lot during the winter here in Ohio, and my temp. falls to below 80 F once I plane out, i.e. once the water pressure jumps up with higher RPM. Is this going to damage the motor?

2. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar

Re: Cold running an Optimax (TBUNL)

Mine still runs in the 120 to 125 degree range even in 38 degree water. They have a thermostat I assume??

Re: Cold running an Optimax (rudapa)

mine also runs at 80-95 when water temps are about 43 and lower. any damage to be done here? my motor also sounds a small "beep" when the temp gets below 91.

4. Member

Re: Cold running an Optimax (flippindrew)

Same here, I idle till I hit 118, then ease on plane, but once going, my temp gets in the 80's, I see an alarm light flash on the guage, but no beep occurs. Is my beep muted? How can I turn it back on? Damage from running at low temps?

5. Moderator

Re: Cold running an Optimax (buch1565)

Guy's when you first jump up on plane and go it is normal for the temp to drop a few degrees but it should normally recover some temp again. You should get back up above 90* anyway. In below 40* water it is tuff for the motors to maintaine the heat level. Once the temp has come up before take off then if you ease into the WOT you are doing all you can to let the pistons & cyls. warm up together...Sherm

6. Member

Re: Cold running an Optimax (shermsmarine)

Hi!

Is it possible to change the Computer box in the engine on a 99' Opti to get possibility to use Smart Craft? The entire powerhead is changed and entirely new, exept for the CPU. Impossible or possible?

Best regards
    /Kristian

7. Member

Re: Cold running an Optimax (Muskie Treats)

Mercury Smart-Craft gauges usually can be purchased through your local Mercury Sales & Service Dept's for around $825. They are GREAT!!

8. Member

Re: Cold running an Optimax (KattFish)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KattFish &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sherm I have Smart Craft on my 01 225 I think that it monitors the temp on 1 head only,is there a way to change it to both heads. Matt </TD></TR></TABLE>

Was this question ever answered? Does anyone know?

9. Member

stupid question. I have a '93 XRI 175. Just had a new waterpump installed & the guy who did it took out both thermostats....Now I'm a little afraid he didn't know what he was doing. Should I put them back? THe water & heads seem to heat relatively quickly upon starting but as u said the block stays nice & cool.
    This motor is in great shape for the year---only 2 lbs difference in compression in the cylinders----I'd hate to ruin it...Thanks!

10. Member

I have a 07 BassCat Pantera II with a 07 200 Opti. I would like to get the Smartcraft gauge from you. One question.... Can I take my tach out and use the smartcraft for my tach. I do not have any extra room to mount a new gauge in my console so I will need to remove one gauge to make it fit. What are you guys doing on the Basscats with this problem?

Thanks for your help.
    Shannon

11. Member
    Off the subject here, but where is the hour meter located? I just bought a Ranger with 2005 Opti 150hp....Thanks.

12. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar

Re: (cjcates007)

On the smartcraft gauge.

13. Member

Re: (rudapa)

Ok, thanks. I will look again, but didnt see it the first time....

14. Member

i found it. The smartcraft shows the hours the first couple seconds after starting the engine......

15. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar

You just click through the modes and find the temp - right? I keep mine on the temperature.

16. Member
    yep, i keep mine on temp as well...

17. Member
    Also noticed on my 2005 Opti that it will warm up to the 130-140 range, but when up on a plane, 54deg water, temp goes to high 80's. Comes right back up to 130-140 after slowing down to idle again....

18. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar

Hmmm - with cold water (Low 40's) mine runs between 110/112 and up to 128 or so. It bumps back and forth with the thermostat going on and off. Water in the 50's or higher mine runs a steady 120.

19. Member
    i dont know? The motor is brand new, has 9 hrs on it total.....88-90 degrees at 3-4000 rpm, water 54 deg. Smartcraft gauge is giving this readout. Maybe it reads water temp in a different place than the thermo on the dash...

20. Member

I'm a day late here but I had the exact thing happen on my 04 225 OPTI this past fall but the water was 55 and OAT was low 30's. I have been told a cold night esp the first few of the year with mod. cold water can cause this also. Mine came apart so bad that fragmentation came out the exhaust and cracked the lower unit and tore the innet exhaust ring off my prop. While 1 year out of warrenty, my dealer was able to get Merc to help...a bunch. It was a repower on an older boat so I had no Smartcraft and had never heard of this problem.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast