Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member

Re: Cold running an Optimax (namgrunt)

That sounds like the round 3 3/8 guage with 4 "idiot lights" that Merc used on the early analog models. (not really very useful, either)

Re: Cold running an Optimax (sosmerc)

Well, since you told me that the 99 wasn't able to use the other system, I guess this will have to do!!....................................

3. Member

Re: Cold running an Optimax (shermsmarine)

Sherm is there a way to install a temp guage on a "95" Mariner supermag I live in Co. where we have cold water alot.

4. Member

Re: Cold running an Optimax (Shawn 202)

You can easily install a water temp guage. Your engine should have a sender already in the port head that has an extra tan wire coming out of it. Merc has numerous temp guages to choose from, but I like the QSS series because the temp is shown in actual numbers instead of just cold to hot. They make a guage for the V-6 that reads 100-240 degrees and it uses your sender.
    But the one I like reads 60-200degrees. You may need to purchase a sender (part number 12415). I have two of these guages installed so that I can monitor temp on both heads. The 60-200 degree guage is part number 79-88632Q1 and it has a list price of 29.17 in my catalog. You can punch in the part number on Merc's Parts Express site if you want to see what it looks like.

5. Member

Thanks

6. Member

Re: Cold running an Optimax (Shawn 202)

I should mention that the description of the guage does not mention that it will work for v-6 motors. But it certainly will. I like the wide spread from 60-200 degrees and at normal running temperature the needle will be pointing straight up in most cases. On the 100-240 degree guages, the needle usually will stay at 1/4 of the guage or below to the left. If you are running in cold water the needle might not get off the left peg on the 100-240 dgree guage!!

7. Member

Sherm, I'm interested in installing a SC1000 system on my 2001 Opti 150hp. Can you give me an approximate labor cost to have this done? It does have the Smart Craft Ready emblem on the cowling. Thanks for the info.
    2000 TR186
    2018 150 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6in jack plate-24" Fury3

8. Member

there has also been some issues with the water bypassing the t-stats due to poor fit .. i have seen this show up more as a plug fouling issue

9. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar

I do have the SmartCraft engine monitor...the square one. Undertanding the danger of running WOT with a cold engine, what is a good safe temp range ?

Thanks!!!

10. Moderator

Re: Cold running an Optimax (Lea)

Lea,
    100 degree's +, only takes 10-20 seconds once on plane @ 4000 Rpm's, you will also notice @ wide open, temp is only 98 degree's, this is normal.
    Very good information here, most problems we see customer say's he was only a 1/2 mile from the ramp!!!

Lee

11. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar

Re: Cold running an Optimax (Props4u2)

Thanks, Lee! Appreciate the info...I will be sure to take care of this motor. I never had a second's problem with my 150, so I must have done something right!! Glad I have the SmartCraft monitor for this one!

12. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar

The gauge is $237 you say, how much would it be (approx) as an option added on to a boat I'll be ordering? Thanks

13. Member

Re: Cold running an Optimax (rudapa)

Thanks Sherm, a most excellent post.

I mounted a 150 opti on my 94 PC last summer, Sherm was a great resource for the smartcraft gauges and cables as well as technical help through the process.

I've got just over 100 hours on the motor now, she is running fine. I've always taken the time to warm up my motors, 4 stroke or two stroke, you jus can't slam an engine into full heated operation without warming up all those parts inside. Engine water temp is not an indicator how well the internals have warmed. Fine once it's all warmed and running well.

BTW I've saved enough just in fuel alone, (over 300 gallons consumed now), which is almost half what I used to use through the EFI that was on it, to more than pay for the gauges! Quite frankly, those gauges are a giveaway!

14. Member

Re: Cold running an Optimax (Props4u2)

"you will also notice @ wide open, temp is only 98 degree's"

My 225 opti runs 123 degrees.....When I get home (only about 4 miles form the lake) if I turn it on it says 140 or so....be concerned?

15. Member

Heyas Sherm, wish you had been in town so I could have ordered the SC1000 from your store . Anyway, we had one rigged with our new Optimax 225 Saltwater and got rid of all the analog stuff, including the old Flo-Meter (Still working fine too). Wheeeeeee! We have a 1995 Cape Horn 21' 10" CC for our offshore guide service. The SC1000 is a treat and not expensive at all for what it provides, along with being very user friendly.

Take care all you freshwater fisherpeeps and thank you Sherm for being here for us.

Captain Jackie Prewitt
    The "Waterbug"
    "About Time" Charters
    Ocala, Florida

16. Member

Re: Cold running an Optimax (cjdauth)

HI CJ, our 225 Optimax runs close to 130 degrees. The temp does rise to 150 or so when we stop for a while. Seems I remember my Dad telling me that a gasoline engine's temp always rises after engine is turned off due to no coolant/water flow thru the heads. Wouldn't think that an outboard would be any different.

17. Moderator

Re: Cold running an Optimax (Waterbug)

I'm glad I can help you all and hopefully save you all some money and grief.

Guy's all motors actually will heat up for a short period right after shut down from "heat sink" The heat was already there and with no cooling water to carry it away it builds up and gets "hotter" for a few minutes......Sherm

18. Member

Cool thanks Sherm. Think I am gonna have to drop my motor back down. It was running nice and cool at 3 iches at 123 degrees. Now, with it at 2.5, it is running 131...not much more, but obviously not getting the water flow it was before...

Anyhow, thanks again for the help on here!!

19. Banned

Re: Cold running an Optimax (Lea)

This late in season, good warmup temp is around 110-115 on gauges. In warmer months, it gets to 120-125 or so, pretty easy while warming up.

20. Member

Sosmerc.I went to the mercs express parts but the gauge # you've got is not listed. 79-88632Q1. How long have you had that gauge? The only ones they have do not have the #'s on them. Just cold and hot with marks inbetween.
    Email: bullet_20xrd@yahoo.com
    Cell: 615-542-0542

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast